Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

Materials/textures for Australia?

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

Materials/textures for Australia?

Postby frtps » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Has anybody developed textures and/or materials files for Australia that they'd be willing to share? The fgdata directory is conspicuously lacking in regional textures for Australia, but just about every other landmass is covered. Happy to work on this, but thought it would be good to check what else was out there first. There were some messages late last year, but they don't seem to have led to anything in the main repository.
frtps

Re: Materials/textures for Australia?

Postby Zequinha » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi welcome to the FG community forum!

In terms of 3D models, you can check the world map with the FG database models positions: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34397 . Not many models in Australia, indeed. The most covered area is Europe, by far.

About textures, I have no idea how to check them. But I know that sometimes you can silly things like grass in Antartica. The solution for these is (possibly) to change randerer, like ALS or ranbrandt (or something like that).

ps: The db can be found in https://scenery.flightgear.org/ .
Zequinha

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi,
D-Laser once made some regional textures - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26191 - however, as far as I know they were never commited. You could maybe use his linked paste in as a starting point?

You could also contact LesterBoffo (by private message or email as he isn't that active these days) to see if he ever finished his project in 2014: (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=24674) if not, maybe he would let you finish the work?

I'm not aware of any other current effort at regional texturing in Australia or indeed elsewhere.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby statto » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:11 pm

I've also got better land cover for Australia sitting on a server somewhere, waiting to be compiled... been meaning to get that set up...
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby frtps » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Yes, thanks for doing that landcover, I've downloaded it from the link you supplied back in January (I think) and am slowly working my way towards generating the scenery (just for personal use I expect). The million dollar question is, is your landcover work redistributable? I'm guessing that it would be if it is based off OSM or any of our Australian government data sources. Also, you might want to update your sig to point to the actual file...
frtps

Postby statto » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:59 am

The landcover work is based off of LANDSAT and OSM, so it's absolutely distributable.
statto

Postby statto » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:28 am

Also, is there a stock eucalyptus/gum tree texture in FG?
statto

Postby Thorsten » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 am

I don't think so (it's moderately complicated and lengthy to make good vegetation textures, so I don't do this habitually, only where I really want to improve an area).
Thorsten

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 am

Someone from the FG project sent me an Email about my materials. I wasn't sure how to return the request so I figured it was posted to the Scenery subforum.

I did make a few Eucalyptus trees that I have on a retired .hdd. I didn't seem to get a lot of input about my materials and trees, so I figured someone else could take over the regional decoration of FourEcks.

If someone wants these to play with the textures and materials they're certainly welcome, My only reciprocal request is to get Mount Panarama and Phillip Island GP race courses laid into the new scenery. I've already made a few buildings for the race courses.

Cheers

Lewis
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby statto » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:46 am

I know Philip Island GP is in the scenery data I've uploaded. Don't remember about Mount Panarama.
statto

Return to Scenery