Board index FlightGear Support

Problems with Dornier Do X

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Problems with Dornier Do X

Postby Jonas » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Good evening,

my name is Jonas an downloaded the 2018 version of Flightgear a few days ago.
I run a Windows PC on win10.

Normally my hobbys are steam trains and my old VW beelte so I'm not very familiar with aviation,
but I really like the Dornier Do X. That was the main reason to download this Program.
But there are problems I can't figure out so far.

When I load the game with the Do x selected, the aircraft will appear with the nose under water.

I can't move any of the levers in the cockpit.
When I chose to position the aircraft in the air, then all the controlls are working.

Thank you for your help
Greetings from nothern Germany

Jonas
Jonas

Re: Problems with Dornier Do X

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:52 pm

which airport? it looks like you don't have any scenery so you're stuck in the water...

which version of the sim do you have? some have different default airports which means some scenery comes with the sim... if you spawn in at a different airport than the default, you have to allow the sim to download the scenery or you have to have downloaded and installed it before...

the latest version of FG defaults to PHNL, IIRC... that's Hawaii... you might try spawning your craft there...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Jonas » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:51 am

Good morning

when I load the game, the Airport is Honululu. The flying boat then stands on the normal runway, and a window is popping up, if I want to spawn on the nearest seaport which is Pearl Habor.
If I klick on "OK" this is whats happens.
I tried several locations and seaports. It's always the same. The option to download sceneries automaticly is also switched on.

Last evening I practiced landing with the Do X. I spawned the craft in the air. Landing is no problem so far, but always when I'm becoming quite slow, nearly standing still, (around 40km/h) its is like the plane is hitting and
invisble wall. After that I can't move any of the controlls and all the gauges are frozen.

Thank you very much for your support.
Jonas
Jonas

Postby enrogue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:09 am

I've tested the Do X & get the same issue - it may be a bug with the aircraft FDM

A quick look at the yasim config shows a setting for gear retraction on the nose gear but nowhere else - if I comment it out, the aircraft starts up on water fine - I can't see where the property is used anywhere so no idea why it's there

the yasim config is dox-yasim.xml & the line looks like:

Code: Select all
<control-output control="EXTEND" prop="/gear/gear[0]/position-norm"/>

to comment it out you make it look like this:

Code: Select all
<!--control-output control="EXTEND" prop="/gear/gear[0]/position-norm"/-->

It may not be a proper fix though
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm

i know the c172p has the "spawn on nearest seaport" option with its pontoon and amphibious models... i didn't know the dornier has it, too... no idea how it works on the D as compared to the c172p...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby enrogue » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:15 pm

It seems to work ok at PHNL - you end up at the seaplane landing zone area nearby

The DO-X has at least one other issue that I can see - it tips over onto the wing if side onto the wind very easily, and the wingtips don't have a gear/float point set, so the FDM crashes
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:35 am

for all i know, without going digging back into the issues on the c172p dev site, the c172p's code for this came from the dornier... i do know that the code in use in the c172p was worked on a lot for this to work properly... something about an anchor buoy and tie lines...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Jonas » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:02 am

Good morning everyone,

thank you very much for your support. With the correction in the code, she can float perfectly.
Starting and landing works fine now.

Made a trip with to Do Xfrom Bremen to Helgoland yesterday evening and navigate with and old road book and geometie triagle.

Greetings !
Jonas

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:10 pm

I've committed the suggested fix to FGAddon. The plane could use some love in terms of texturing, effects and 3d work, it looks interesting to fly.
Thorsten

Postby Jonas » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:14 am

Hi Thorsten,
I also thought about that. But I don't know how to do textures.
The Do X is my favorit aircraft in FlightGear and in general. She is not fast, but extremly relaxing to fly and very smooth.
Maybe we should open up a new thread in the development section about that idea. It would be so cool to see her with modern textures.

Greetings from Bremen
Jonas

Postby bugman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:27 pm

@Jonas, I would suggest you have a read on the following to start with:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Return to Support