Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Starting Engine & Take-Off

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Starting Engine & Take-Off

Postby AndersG » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Keep both <name>-elements and also the closing </PropertyList> tag.

The idea with supplying this "empty" file to FG is that the program will identify it as the proper configuration file for your joystick device and thus load it and set up no bindings for the device thereby ignoring it.

If FG doesn't find a matching configuration file at all I think it will load a default configuration for it - which would not be empty and thus not what you want.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Postby JDH » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 pm

AndersG wrote in Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm:Keep both <name>-elements and also the closing </PropertyList> tag.

The idea with supplying this "empty" file to FG is that the program will identify it as the proper configuration file for your joystick device and thus load it and set up no bindings for the device thereby ignoring it.

If FG doesn't find a matching configuration file at all I think it will load a default configuration for it - which would not be empty and thus not what you want.

Okay, I will add the closing </PropertyList> tag. Also, I suppose I will keep the other file hidden as it is now:

C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2018.2.2\data\Input\Joysticks\InterLink\interlink-elite.xml.HIDE

The only irritation left is somewhat minor. Whenever I start FG, the wrong controller (the "Elite" device) is selected by default, so I always have to go into "Joystick Calibration" to select the actual joystick before beginning. This may be happening simply because "Interlink-Elite" comes before "T.16000M" alphabetically. If so, maybe there's no fix.

Thanks to you (and everyone else) for your kind assistance. Thank Heaven for this forum and the nice members present here!
JDH

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:39 pm

i've asked about this on the developer's mailing list... let's see if they can point us to a way to force FG to use a specific controller from the command line or launcher's additional settings box...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:12 pm

@JDH: after some feedback from the mailing list, since you've renamed the one Interlink.xml file and you've created the empty one, have you tried just flying with your T.16000M without going into the joystick configuration at all? just load up and go try to fly... does it work for you now?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby JDH » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:48 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:12 pm:@JDH: after some feedback from the mailing list, since you've renamed the one Interlink.xml file and you've created the empty one, have you tried just flying with your T.16000M without going into the joystick configuration at all? just load up and go try to fly... does it work for you now?

As things stand now, if I look on the Joystick Calibration screen, only the T.16000M joystick shows all the button settings I've programmed. The buttons for the Interlink-Elite controller all read "None". Both controllers may work as regards the stick 3-axis input and maybe the throttle slider (need to check this again).
JDH

Postby JDH » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here for your help and for putting up with new user questions.

So as not to create too much of a topic drift, the next thing I might want to do is ask in a new thread about recommended aircraft.
JDH

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:55 pm

search the forum (search field at top in the logo picture) for "+recommended +aircraft" without the quotes... there's numerous topics about exactly that ;)
after the search, you can refine the limits by clicking on the blue "advanced search" link and putting the search terms in again...

EDIT: added the '+' to each of the search terms
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Previous

Return to Flying