Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FlightGear has the worst optimalisation and graphics EVER?

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FlightGear has the worst optimalisation and graphics EVER?

Postby three-seven-nine » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:49 am

I’ve been using flightgear for about a year, however it wasn’t a pleasant time. Putting aside the physics and flight models (the triple seven was pulling 320 knots at 36 THOUSAND FEET with ease), the simulator was running at 10-15 FPS (let’s note that I had everything disabled in the render settings so it basically made my eyes bleed). My Mac has a GT650M with 1gb of memory and an Intel graphics card with also 1 gb. I understand I have a crap laptop, but after buying X-plane 11 I found out that it could run 70 FPS at low requirements! How is that possible ?! On every computer I was running FG on it was stuttering horribly. Also, how come flightgear’s community is this big and only 20-30 people are online at a time ?
three-seven-nine

Callsign: ___379

Re: FlightGear has the worst optimalisation and graphics EVE

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

That's weird. Totally weird. My computer has a similar graphics card and can go 30FPS at full graphics...

I'm not sure if it exists on a Mac, but you should try forcing the driver to use the GPU. X-Plane likely has an override listing - FlightGear does not.

P.S. 320 knots at 36,000 feet sounds normal to me. And that height isn't super high either - it's well within cruising altitude.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:37 am

Are you sure you got 70 frames per second with X-Plane 11? My laptop runs FlightGear at 35 frames per second without being very high powered. However, it can't even make 15 frames per second with X-Plane.

If you are using Rembrandt, you should definitely disable it, and use Atmospheric Light Scattering, see what difference that makes. Ensure you have the Nividia card selected.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby three-seven-nine » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23 pm

320 knots at 36000 feet is about 0.86 mach, and 777 max speed is 0.89. The thing is that If I set the throttle to 100% I would achieve about 390 knots which is 1.04. PS: I have everything disabled and running on low-graphics profile(code)
three-seven-nine

Callsign: ___379

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:07 pm

That sounds like FlightGear is actually using your Intel GPU. It could also be thermal throttling, apparently. What is your cooling like?

You can choose the Nividia card in the NVIDIA Control Panel - Manage 3D settings - Program Settings.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby Megaf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello mate.
Please try to this and report back.
https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202053
And maybe this.
https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT202043
Watch my Videos!
On Odysee
On YouTube

Join The FlightGear Republic!
On Matrix
On Discord
Megaf

Callsign: MGF87, PHNX087
IRC name: Megaf
Version: Next

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I was asked to weigh in here as someone who frequently fixes Apple laptops.

They are generally poor cooling design, some machines actually thermal throttle before ramping up the fans, it's ridiculous. Further, the thermal paste on Macs is applied like toothpaste on a brush... insulating heat transfer.

Please, go to about this Mac, then System Report, and screenshot that Window. Then on the left of that window, click Graphics/Displays, and screenshot. Use a site like imgur or postimage to share it. Knowing your specs would allow us to estimate how FG will run.

Josh

PS: The 777 has a poor flight model, that is why. 320kts at 36000 is too fast to be done "with ease"
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:35 am

I’ve been using flightgear for about a year, however it wasn’t a pleasant time. Putting aside the physics and flight models

I'm sorry you felt to stick with FG for so long despite the unpleasantness. Good you found X-plane 11 which seems much better for your needs.

Having said that, I concur with what others have said, i.e. the framerate issue is likely a wrong configuration at your end and maybe asking for advice earlier would have spared you some frustration.

For the record, the physics FG is able to simulate is much richer than what X-plane allows, but FG is the product of volunteers and you didn't pay anything for it, so you get the work of enthusiastic schoolkids alongside that of highly skilled engineers and scientists side by side when you look at aircraft in the repository - so you have to go looking for good FDMs a bit.

Anyway, if you're so much happier with X-plane, please spare us the sermon how unpleasant FG is, we generally find it pleasant enough for out needs. Thanks.
Thorsten

Return to The FlightGear project