Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Does Launcher negatively affect fps?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Does Launcher negatively affect fps?

Postby Kugelfang » Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm

I haven't been FGFS active for about 9 years (last time I posted on this forum--as an admin!). However, I recently purchased a new computer and one of the first things I wanted to try was FGFS. I've installed 2018.1.1 and have been poking around since so much has changed. I've noticed that if I start FGFS with the built in Launcher enabled (the default), the frame-rate-per-second is too low to be acceptable--usually around 15fps or less. But, if I start directly from the command line--bypassing Launcher--FPS hovers around 40fps. All other rendering options are the same--ALS and Rembrandt disabled, shaders enabled but somewhat decreased. Is this normal?

Are FGo! or FGrun still viable options for 2018.1.1? (Though now that I think about it I had started my own web-app FG launcher so maybe I'll see if I can resurrect that for my own use.)

Since I've been using the same old lap top for the past 10 years I really have no idea as to FGFS performance with modern hardware. Given the following specs (a ZaReason Limbo desktop), what type of performance should I expect from FGFS?

Linux Version: Mint 18 Cinnamon
Skylake Desktop Processor: i5-6600 3.3-3.9 GHz 4-core (Intel HD 530)
Dual Channel Memory DDR4 4x slot 64GBmax: 32 GB DDR4-2133
Desktop Storage Drive Bay1: 2 TB 7200rpm HD
Optical Drive: DVD/CD Rewriter
Sound Card: Intel HD Audio (included)
Video card w/ integrated: Nvidia GTX 1050 (using Nvidia 384.111 0ubuntu0.16.04.01 driver)
Power Supply: 550 watts

TIA!
We were set in our ways. We believed in a good God, a bad Devil and a hot Hell, and more than anything else we believed that the same good God did not intend man should ever fly.
--Bill Tate (Crouch, The Bishop's Boys)
Kugelfang

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Does Launcher negatively affect fps?

Postby Thorsten » Sun May 20, 2018 6:57 pm

I don't recall the details and don't know whether it's relevant, but...

A while ago, there was a discussion on the mailing list where rendering FG via Qt rather than OSGViewer caused a dramatic dramerate loss for some reason having to do with an obscure interaction of Qt with the window manager.

If (and I don't know that) using the launcher now commits you to Qt as the rendering window (which is James' ultimate plan, but I was under the impression we are not there yet), then there might be a mechanism to explain what you're seeing.

If that's reproducible and not connected to what settings are chosen in the launcher vs. in your commandlline way of starting FG, then I'd recommend writing to the mailing list.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Kugelfang wrote in Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm:I've noticed that if I start FGFS with the built in Launcher enabled (the default), the frame-rate-per-second is too low to be acceptable--usually around 15fps or less. But, if I start directly from the command line--bypassing Launcher--FPS hovers around 40fps. All other rendering options are the same

to make sure all the options are the same, run FG once with the launcher... give it a few minutes to settle down... exit and run it again but this time without the launcher... give it a few minutes and exit again...

now, go look in your ~/.fgfs directory... fgfs.log is the log file for the last execution... fgfs_0.log is the log for the previous... the first hundred lines or so should tell you the options the sim is running with... i would hazard a guess that there's something enabled from the launcher that is not enabled with you run it directly...

eg: here's mine from 2018.3.0 using the launcher with my additional entries in the launcher's "additional settings" box... i'm also running with --log-level=debug...
Code: Select all
myuser@mymachine:~/.fgfs$ egrep -e "options.cxx" fgfs.log

general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2881:set from command-line argument: fg_root = Path "/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/flightgear/bin/../fgdata"
input:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2199:aircraft = ufo
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:terrasync-dir = /home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/skydome=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/custom-settings=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/landmass=6
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/transition=6
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/urban=5
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/crop=1
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/water=5
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/model=3
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/forest=1
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/wind-effects=2
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/vegetation-effects=1
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/voices/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/volume=0.50000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/aimodels/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/aimodels/volume=1.00000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/atc/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/atc/external-view=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/atc/volume=1.00000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/avionics/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/avionics/external-view=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/avionics/volume=1.00000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/effects/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/effects/volume=1.00000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/chatter/enabled=false
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/chatter/volume=0.60000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/sound/scene/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = float:/sim/sound/scene/volume=0.60000000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /fdm/ai-wake/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /fdm/ai-wake/max-radius-nm=5
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/precipitation-enable=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/precipitation-gui-enable=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/als-filters/use-filtering=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/als-filters/use-normal-filters=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/als-filters/use-IR-vision=false
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/als-filters/use-night-vision=false
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/paths/screenshot-dir=/home/myuser/Pictures/flightgear
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/replay/tape-directory=/home/myuser/.fgfs/Export
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/ai/scenario=none
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:disable-clouds3d =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:disable-fgcom =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:disable-random-buildings =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-ai-models =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-ai-traffic =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-clouds =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-distance-attenuation =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-fuel-freeze =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-horizon-effect =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-hud =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-hud-3d =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-anti-alias-hud =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-specular-highlight =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:bpp = 32
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:httpd = 5500
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:visibility = 75000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /local-weather/config/ground-haze-factor=75
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/clouds3d-vis-range=75000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=AutomaticSelection
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/osg-notify-level=fatal
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-detailed=92600
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/ai-range-mode-pixel=0
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/detailed=1500
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/rough=30000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = double:/sim/rendering/static-lod/bare=75000
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/terrasync/http-server=http://flightgear.sourceforge.net/scenery
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/time/warp-easing=false
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/multi-samples=4
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:disable-rembrandt =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /sim/rendering/shaders/skydome=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-fullscreen =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:enable-real-weather-fetch =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:prop = /nasal/local_weather/enabled=true
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:aircraft-dir = /home/myuser/flightgear-dev/fgdata-ng/Aircraft/ufo
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:aircraft = ufo
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:fg-scenery = /home/myuser/myflightgear/mySceneryOverrides
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:fg-scenery = /home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:fg-aircraft = /home/myuser/flightgear-dev/fgaddon-ng/Aircraft
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:fg-aircraft = /home/myuser/myflightgear/Aircraft
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:airport = KRDU
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:parkpos = Landmark_Aviation_FBO
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:fg-root = /home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/install/flightgear/bin/../fgdata/
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:log-level = debug
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2505:      option:launcher =
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2530:Using default download dir: Path "/home/myuser/.fgfs"
general:3:/home/myuser/flightgear-dev/next/flightgear/src/Main/options.cxx:2558:Using explicit TerraSync dir: Path "/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery"
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Kugelfang » Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks for the tips regarding the log files. There are quite a few differences. I'll have to tweak things a bit more to get a better idea of what's going on.

10 years ago I felt fairly comfortable with my FGFS knowledge. Now I feel like a complete noob again!
We were set in our ways. We believed in a good God, a bad Devil and a hot Hell, and more than anything else we believed that the same good God did not intend man should ever fly.
--Bill Tate (Crouch, The Bishop's Boys)
Kugelfang

Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Graphics