Board index FlightGear Support

Another version of flightgear is already running

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Another version of flightgear is already running

Postby Junus » Sat May 26, 2018 2:42 pm

I originally had the 2017.3.1 version of the game but recently, I decided to update my game to 2018.1.1.. So I uninstalled the old version and installed the new one as usual.. But when I open the game, it says "Another version of flightgear is already running, so this will be a read-only copy." (or something like that) but later on, the flightgear will start without showing the menu.. It launches the game in Honolulu with the default plane, the cessna 172.. Then I tought to go to RPLL(NAIA) which I downloaded with my previous version of the game and It was there.. Pls help me.. I can no longer use other plane or start in any other airport.. Pls help me..
Junus

Version: 2018.1.1

Re: Another version of flightgear is already running

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:02 pm

what OS are you running? i'm guessing you're running winwhatever? if so, click on your start button and type "%appdata%" (without the quotes) in the search field... then hit enter... a new window should open up and you should see a list of directories in it... look for the flightgear one... go into it and delete any .pid file you might find... then try running FG again...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Junus » Sun May 27, 2018 12:08 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sat May 26, 2018 6:02 pm:what OS are you running? i'm guessing you're running winwhatever? if so, click on your start button and type "%appdata%" (without the quotes) in the search field... then hit enter... a new window should open up and you should see a list of directories in it... look for the flightgear one... go into it and delete any .pid file you might find... then try running FG again...

I run Windows 7, I tried the %appdata% and .fid thing... I didn't find any .fid file..
Junus

Postby Alant » Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 am

Try this.
Go to task manger. This is accessed via the keyboard Keys CTRL-ALT-Delete all pressed at the same time,

You should see a list of tasks running, Near the top is fgfs, Select it and kill it when asked,

Alternatively just reboot Windows..

Windows 7 is not well supported, today. Be brave and go to Windows 10. The transition may/will be painfull at the beginning but the future is easier to support,

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Junus » Sun May 27, 2018 1:51 am

I opened it and I swear.. the only application running is my browser..
Junus

Postby wkitty42 » Sun May 27, 2018 10:38 am

you didn't see any pid file? not fid?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby bugman » Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 pm

The PID file was a bit of a hack solution that was permanently removed a year or two back. Even if a PID file is present, it will have zero effect on current FG versions. As for this current issue, I do not have the slightest clue as to what is happening. This message can only occur on MS Windows if there really are two instances running (according to the Windows API).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby vanosten » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 am

I get this message on Linux FG next. I get a popup dialogue in the new FG instance. It is annoying to have to press the dialogue button to make it go away. Is there a way to suppress such a message - or another way to run multiple FG sessions in parallel (I just start a new session in a different process / cmd line)?
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby cgdae » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 am

vanosten wrote in Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:11 am:I get this message on Linux FG next. I get a popup dialogue in the new FG instance. It is annoying to have to press the dialogue button to make it go away. Is there a way to suppress such a message - or another way to run multiple FG sessions in parallel (I just start a new session in a different process / cmd line)?

I think that simply suppressing the message and carrying on is not a good idea.

The full error message is:

flightgear instance already running, switching to FG_HOME read-only.

Note the second part of the message. It means that, amongst other things, Flightgear will not download new scenery as you fly around - this is because if two or more Flightgear instances were to do so at the same time, the local scenery directory might become corrupted.

So i think you need to fix the ultimate problem here and kill the other Flightgear process, otherwise Flightgear probably won't run as well as you would like.

Thanks,

- Jules
cgdae

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:27 pm

if there are two or more FGs running from the same install, this box is properly telling you this... it should not be disabled... the only way i know of to run two FGs at the same time and avoid this is by having two separate and distinct installations... of course that means double the drive space usage...

perhaps we should ask "why you are running two instances of the same installation?" are you flying in one and ATC observing in the other, maybe?
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby V12 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:13 pm

When I worked on Concorde, I had 4 FG instances :
1. Concorde 1
2. Concorde 2
3. IDG A3xx
4. 747-8i or 707

All instances was in MP, on different ports, I never seen that message. But it was 2 years ago on FG2018 and something.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby vanosten » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:11 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:27 pm:and avoid this is by having two separate and distinct installations... of course that means double the drive space usage...

Actually, you have a good idea there. AppImage to the rescue. Which also solves my problem of needing FG Next for osm2city and LTS for other stuff. Thanks for triggering the idea :-)

...perhaps we should ask "why you are running two instances of the same installation?" are you flying in one and ATC observing in the other, maybe?

I am doing military scenarios for OPRF, where some of the automats are totally simulated in a program and "appearing" on MP, while some more complex simulations (e.g. an opposing fighter shooting back) is simulated by running an FG instance and automating it over http/telnet. I can run 8 FG instances and tens of simulated instances on one box.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:55 am

that's cool! if those other instances are just running AI craft, then scenery and other models aren't really needed for them so that'll cut down on a lot of drive space duplication...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby zakalawe » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:06 pm

For this use case, pass --read-only explicitly to the non-master copies of FG. Ideally also pass --disable-gui, this will disable any dialog boxes. Then you're telling FG what you're doing, and it won't annoy you :)
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Return to Support