Board index FlightGear Support Flying

dhc2 won't start  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

dhc2 won't start

Postby flywisher » Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 pm

I use Linux Mint 17.3 (32-bit) and saiarcot's recent FG 2018.1.1 build. So far it's working very well. (Thank you(!) saiarcot!!)

I have numerous planes downloaded with the QT launcher in the 2017 version. Every one of them works perfectly.

This version lacks the QT launcher, so one must download additional aircraft manually from "http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/". OK, that's easy. I just downloaded the dhc2 (DeHavilland Beaver), long one of my favorite planes.

This thing has been enhanced since I last used it. My gosh and golly, it's beautiful! Wow. Outstanding work!

Just one problem: it won't start. I carefully followed the checklist - several times. Everything seems to work except... it never "fires". Crank and crank. Nothing else happens. After a couple of minutes, the sound of the gyros winds down and the starter switch (by mouse or keyboard "s") no longer works.

Has anyone else used this plane recently? Any idea what's wrong here? I would try to debug it, but I currently have too many other demands on me, so it would be some time before I could get into it.
flywisher

Callsign: flywisher

Re: dhc2 won't start

Postby RJ5576 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Have you primed it using the wobble pump (black lever just to the right of the pilot's seat)?

EDIT: If you crank the engine in vain for too long, you'll wear down the battery.
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby flywisher » Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Yes. I learned about the wobble pump, found the fuel pressure gauge, and pumped it to 5 psi. Made no difference.
flywisher

Postby RJ5576 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Try priming it while running the starter.
RJ5576

Postby flywisher » Mon May 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Reasonable idea.

I did. No difference.
flywisher

Postby RJ5576 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 pm

Weird, because that works for me. Did you turn on the master switch, select a fuel tank, turn on both magnetos, and prime several times while starting? That's all I did, and it works just fine for me.
RJ5576

Postby bugman » Mon May 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Which airport do you try to fly from?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby flywisher » Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 pm

RJ5576, yes I do all that. By the way, are you using the Windows or Mac version? I'm using the Linux version. Might be different, though I would expect the models would all behave the same.

bugman, fair question. I tried changing airports. No difference. I've tried Ocotillo (L90) and Montgomery Field (KMYF), two fields fairly local to me.

When FG starts, the console shows the following:
Code: Select all
FlightGear:  Version 2018.1.1
FlightGear:  Build Type Dev
Built with GNU C++ version 4.8
Jenkins number/ID 0:none
Aircraft does not specify a minimum FG version: please add one at /sim/minimum-fg-version
Failed to tie property fcs/ to object methods
Volcanic activity off.
dhc2.nas loaded
Electrical.nas loaded

I wonder if those "failed" messages have anything to do with it.
flywisher

Postby RJ5576 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:20 am

I'm using the Linux version too. I also get those "Failed" messages, but it works fine.

I just noticed that the rear fuel tank is nearly empty by default. Are you selecting the rear tank? I usually select the centre tank.
RJ5576

Postby flywisher » Tue May 22, 2018 3:42 pm

I thought of that too, and checked the fuel load. I usually use the center tank.
flywisher

Postby dilbert » Sat May 26, 2018 1:24 pm

It is in the add-on hangar. For some reason you have to search "Beaver" , as it doesn't display if you search using "DHC". If you haven't already done so, try installing from the add-on hangar.
Mine starts fine, though I usually select the front tank to start, as it's easier. :)
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Postby flywisher » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 pm

OK, this is curious.
I got my non-starting copy from the Official(?) "http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/flightgear/ftp/Aircraft/", on the website's "Download Aircraft" page.

Exploring dilbert's suggestion, I tried the 3rd party hangers page, ending up at "https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgaddon/HEAD/tree/trunk/Aircraft/".

I still found no "Beaver". Attempting that search brought up a bunch of unrelated page links.

But... my Linux Mint has Subversion already installed, and I learned how to use the "svn checkout" on the "dhc2", something I've never understood or used before.

This version works! Looks just like the one I had before, but it starts and runs.

So success! Thank you dilbert!

By the way, in case anyone else is confused by this, I noticed that the aircraft are listed in alphabetical order, yet there is no "DHC2" or "Beaver". BUT... follow the list to the end ("Z") and you find that it starts all over again in lowercase. That is, there is a separate alphabetical list of entries that start in lowercase following the list that starts in uppercase. The Beaver is listed as "dhc2" (all lowercase) and appears in the second list, while "DC-10" and "DC-89" are in the first list.

That threw me for a while.
flywisher

Return to Flying