Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Using scenery with 2018.1.1  Topic is solved

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Using scenery with 2018.1.1

Postby dilbert » Tue May 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Am accustomed to running with terrasync off in areas previously downloaded to the terrasync file, so as to avoid long download times. Now if I want to fly in one of these resident scenery files without
using automatic scenery downloading, I get an error message and program crashes. However,
if I then download it using Terrasync in 2018.1.1, it works ok; and, thereafter, if it's run with terrasync
off, it works fine. It's as if 2018.1.1 won't recognize scenery files resident in the terrasync unless
re-downloaded using 2018.1.1, Same problem on all three machines running 2018.1.1., and in which
2016.3.1 no longer installed. Since all U.S.,Europe, some of S. America, Africa, etc. are resident in my
terrasync files, this is very unhappy news. :(
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: Using scenery with 2018.1.1

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:27 pm

did 2016.3.1 use the new http terrasync format with its checksum files? it may be that 2018.1.1 is now expressly looking for them and requiring at least one online session to convert/update everything... that's an eWAG but i don't recall any similar problem when i converted over from the old SVN stuff to the intermediate and then the current formats...

what, exactly, is the error message and crash information?? maybe it is for something else? eg: default hanger or MP server selection
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 am

Thanks for the response.

Afraid am not much good at interpreting crash report and log. It was trying to load scenery tiles, after which it defaulted to loading ocean tiles just before it crashed. So there seems to be two problems:
2018.1.1 tries but fails to load the retained terrasync scenery tiles, possibly not recognizing them; then it tries to load the default ocean tiles, after which,it crashes without displaying them.

Yes, after at least one online session, the scenery works correctly whether or not auto scenery loading remains selected. However, if I fly on to another area, I get a big white patch (not the ocean), unless I have
already downloaded that area using 2018.1.1. The white patch seems to indicate the default ocean tiles have failed to load. However, in this instance, the program does not crash; and I can reverse course and fly back into a working scenery area.

Hope I don't have to re-fly every scenery area with terrasync, which would be very time consuming.

Having rechecked log found this: ground cache.cxx:399: prepare_ground cache_ (): trying to build cache without any scenery below the aircraft

also found: JBSM.cxx.1333: FG Interface is being called without scenery below aircraft !

haven't yet found why, but will continue to look. :)

Have been flying Dave Culp's T2C, which I really like.

Log has statement: "fg.init.cxx: 373: Aircraft does not specify a minimum FG version: please add one at /sim/minimum_fg_version".
Could this be causing the problem?

Yes, tried using A6 with terrasync off. and program did not crash; which resolved part, but not all of the problem, as I got the blue ocean, rather than the scenery stored in the TerraSync file.
Still don't know why program didn't load stored scenery; will check latest log.

Checking log found statement with: "cxx:244: FGStg Terrain:: init-init tile mgr".
Are two colons between Terrain and init-init correct, or should it be just one?

Thanks again for your help. Best Regards
dilbert

Postby dilbert » Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

This is to elaborate on the above posts after further tests.

First, someone who has the previously (pre 2018.1.1) scenery installed in their Terrasync file, but also
has the same scenery area in their FlightGear 18.1.1>data>scenery file, will not seem to encounter
the problem, as the program will default to the scenery stored in the data>scenery file. They may assume everything is just fine. The laptops I tested on had nothing in 2018.1.1>data>scenery,
other than the two Hawaii default scenery areas.

When I go to an area not previously visited using 2018.1.1 with Terrasync off, the scenery
fails to load, even though the scenery exists in my Terrasync file. Nevertheless, if I go to the same area with Terrasync on, but quit the program once on runway; and then refly with Terrasync off,
the program accesses the Terrasync file and produces the scenery.

As things stand, the only practical way to fly cross country is with Terrasync on (which works fine).
Unfortunately, it also entails long initial scenery downloading time; not to mention the fact it wouldn't work at all, if internet is unavailable.

However, if I fly a modest distance from the launch airport, I encounter a boundary beyond which
scenery never appears, as it otherwise would using Terrasync.

Tested the above by attempting a flight from Pensacola to Houston with Terrasync off. The scenery areas were all recorded pre 18.1.1 in my Terrasync File. Hit boundaries beyond which there was no scenery around Pascagoola, Slidell, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Beaumont, and Houston. Each time I quit FG, loaded an airport existant in the missing scenery area using Terrasync; quit once the runway appeared; then backtracked loading an airport with last visible scenery, and relaunched with Terrasync off. Having performed this monkey motion, and eventually making it to Houston, I was thereafter able to launch from Houston with Terrasync off, thence return to Pensacola and have scenery the whole way.

Best Regards
Last edited by dilbert on Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dilbert

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 am

dilbert wrote in Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm:As things stand, the only practical way to fly cross country is with Terrasync on (which works fine).

i think i have finally figured out what you're on about... let me see if i have it straight...

1. fly into a new area with terrasync enabled and you get the scenery.
2. fly into that same area with terrasync disabled and you do not get the scenery.

is that correct? if so, add your terrasync directory to your additional scenery paths so that FG can find the terrasync scenery when terrasync is disabled...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am

That is correct.

Each scenery area file is divided into a number of scenery sub-files.

If you download a scenery area file to FlightGear 18.1.1>data>scenery, you will have an entire set of sub-files therein.
Assume, however, you have not done so.

If You fly a route through several scenery areas (and many scenery sub-files). Let's say Miami to New York with auto scenery on,
auto downloading will create a scenery area folder in your TerraSync directory, to which it will add sub-file components along your
route as you travel (However, it will not add all the sub-component files for the entire scenery area ).

Since Automatic scenery downloading has added the necessary sub-files to your Terrasync file, you can then fly the exact route again with auto downloading off and have scenery. My confusion arose
because my terrasync file has regular scenery area labels, but does not have a complete set
of sub-files for each area, since some sub-files had never been flown in with Terrasync on.

Not to sew confusion, I've withdrawn my glitch comment-Terrasync is working correctly. Depending on it alone has it's limitations: with automatic scenery downloading off, and no backup from FlightGear 2018.1.1>data>scenery, it works fine for routes or sub-file zones where you have previously flown with auto loading on, Otherwise, you won't have scenery where necessary sub-files weren't previously downloaded using Terrasync.

Thanks for your attention and help. Best regards :)
dilbert

Return to Flying