Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Can FG be installed on an external hard drive?

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Can FG be installed on an external hard drive?

Postby obw298 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

I had FlightGear running on my MacBook (2015, 13") and it worked well. But now I want to save disk space on my computer, so I want to install it on an external hard drive. I found this one: https://amzn.to/2rKDgYN . My computer has USB 3.0. Can FlightGear be installed on that hard drive AND: will it work as well as on the internal SSD of the MacBook (or maybe even better)?
obw298

Re: Can FG be installed on an external hard drive?

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

FlightGear takes 3-4 minutes to load on an internal HDD and an external drive would take longer. A SSD is better used for games or simulators, it speeds up the loading a lot :)
Furthermore, FlightGear is only about 3-4GB, not an awful lot. ;)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby obw298 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm

"FlightGear takes 3-4 minutes to load on an internal HDD"
On my computer, it did not take more than 30 seconds
obw298

Postby wkitty42 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm

because of your SSD... there's a lot of data that is read to get all the scenery loaded... SSD are the fastest option, AFAIK... maybe an external SSD would work??
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 16, 2018 6:05 pm

On my computer, it did not take more than 30 seconds

Hm, it depends a lot on aircraft (the Shuttle always takes a bit to load), but for a 'normal' craft under normal conditions, I have FG up and running within 15 seconds from a normal HDD (otherwise developing would be pretty painful...)

The SSD I have on my other machine is theoretically much faster but the startup time is the same - it seems in both cases the holdup is not disk I/O but things like file parsing and creating data structures in response.

Translation: On none of my systems under none of my OS I've seen a clear benefit of an SSD over a standard drive. I know others have, but for me it's always been that fast.
Thorsten

Return to Hardware