Board index Other Hangar talk

Making movies

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Making movies

Postby tdammers » Fri May 11, 2018 10:22 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 pm:you appear to have a UTF-8 character in "Epic when Clio stands"... that 'l' (lower case ell) looks like it has a tick over it... before that, there's also "Cliodhna" where the 'i' has a tick over it...

use plain ASCII characters and problems like this won't happen ;)

Hmm, or someone competent could maybe fix these two security issues?
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby wkitty42 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:10 pm

it isn't just a code change and has nothing to do with being competent or not... the database format has to also be changed as well as the config and the forum code... it isn't something that can be done with a snap of the fingers... whether they are security issues is another thing, altogether... all it is is the format of the characters, UTF-8, is not able to be written to the database... it is likely set for ISO-8859-1 but that's just an eWAG...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Sat May 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Outstanding, I can't wait for the next episode!

It'll be till end of this summer - we need some flashback scenes which are set in summer, so it can't be rushed unfortunately, though 90% of the second episode is already filmed and cut.
Thorsten

Postby F_D2760 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Really really nice job Thorsten!
KUbuntu 22.04
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT
22" + 22"
16 Go
F_D2760

Callsign: F_D2760
Version: Last one

Postby Joshua123 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:25 pm

Nice job!!
Joshua123

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:58 pm

For those of you who are into this, Katharina has started a Facebook page where you can follow our work. Or, if you prefer something more old-fashioned, there's always our newsletter.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 pm

And some impressions from the shooting of Cliodhna III - Storm Reach - Cliodhna and Rordan climbing towards the summit of the Storm Reach mountain

Yes, we more or less actually did this - I have some experience rock climbing, so we went right into things with a makeshift rope harness and the camera and had a rather adventurous (and somewhat exhausting) movie-making session.
Thorsten

Postby radi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Result maybe in less digital appearance of some pictures.

Part of what Michat refers to as a "digital appearance" might be the lack of foreground - middleground - background separation in pretty much the entire "Clíodhna - the witch of Gleann an Phéine" teaser, due to closed aperture/large f-stop number. For example, at 0:21 a guy is walking away from a line of trees. The interesting thing is the guy, so he should be in focus, and the background trees should be out of focus. Or at 0:58, where there's a guy in the foreground really close to the camera, a girl speaking in the middle, and trees in the back, all of which pretty much fully in focus. In a professional video production, at least one of these would be out-of-focus to draw your attention to the important part of the scene.

To get this effect, obviously you either need somewhat expensive equipment, namely something like a 200mm f/1.8 lens, or do a ton of post-processing, probably using sophisticated aka. expensive video software. I understand that neither of which might be feasible.
OSM buildings for LOWI, EDDC
Custom scenery for VHXX YMML
Edit .stg via the FG Object Placement Tool
radi

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm

I've occasionally wished to have the option to change aperture, but as you suspect, the camera isn't up to it.

I do disagree with the notion that this is generally done in professional productions though - just checking screenshots from two different fantasy movies, in 'Willow' the background is indeed out of focus at times, in LOTR I could not see a shot in which this was the case.

So I see this as an optional tool - which unfortunately isn't available to us (unless we sell enough DVDs to buy a better camera...)
Thorsten

Postby radi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:25 am

Yeah, I didn't mean to say it's done always. Maybe my point was to express what I perceive as "digital appearance", for the lack of a better word -- and I'm not meaning to belittle your work, nor say that I could do it better or even as good.

What formed my perception was the tidal wave of digital photos that came with the advent of cheap digital cameras and then crappy smartphone cameras. Back then many users were not aware of depth of field or how to control it, and even if they were, due to their camera's tiny sensors and lenses they couldn't achieve anything but a deep focus.

But I'm preaching to the converted here. Fingers crossed you sell tons of DVDs!
radi

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Maybe my point was to express what I perceive as "digital appearance",

I get the point (I hope) - and upon reflection, LOTR also has a more digital appearance as Willow, so you may actually have nailed that spot on.

I have to confess that my item on the equipment wishlist before a more professional camera (we have the option to buy a used one it seems...) would be a quad-copter camera - I'd love the ability to add an aerial perspective now and then...
Thorsten

Postby radi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Good point, that would literally add another dimension.
radi

Postby www2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Thorsten
What i wand to say back in Feb is that the green/blue screen effect need some feathering and some color correction.
www2

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Teaser for your third episode is out - enjoy (if you have headphones or decent speakers, plug them in - the sound is much more impressive than with laptop speakers...)

(I know, the second episode isn't even out yet, but we've moved to post-production with it and I'm currently heavily into sound-editing - it's still scheduled to appear late summer). As always, if you like what you see please spread the word, it's hard for independent movie-makers to get noticed.

Also, I've edited the first post in the thread to gather all material in one place.
Thorsten

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 pm

What i wand to say back in Feb is that the green/blue screen effect need some feathering and some color correction.

The 'that' part I know, it's the 'how' part I'm struggling with...
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Hangar talk