Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Minimizing or disabling FlightGear graphics

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Minimizing or disabling FlightGear graphics

Postby ggg1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 am

Hi,

I run FlightGear 2016.1.1 on a Windows 7 OS.

I would like to minimize or disable all simulation graphics on FlightGear to reduce the CPU usage .
Also, is there an option for a silent execution of FlightGear so no window will be launched at all?

Thanks!
ggg1

Re: Minimizing or disabling FlightGear graphics

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 am

--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/aircraft=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/clouds=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/models=0
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/terrain=0

zero (0) turns them off, one (1) turns them on...

i'm not aware of anything to completely disable the graphics... why would there be? the main goal is to provide a graphical environment for flying simulated craft in a simulated world...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby ggg1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks!

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 am:i'm not aware of anything to completely disable the graphics... why would there be? the main goal is to provide a graphical environment for flying simulated craft in a simulated world...

In some situations you only want a simulated craft in a simulated world and the graphics doesn't matter :)
ggg1

Postby bugman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:36 pm

A Flightgear headless mode with no graphical elements is on the roadmap, but this is not easy and is a long way off yet.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby ggg1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Is there a reason why when I use:

Code: Select all
--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/terrain=0

The craft position is freezed?
ggg1

Postby Thorsten » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:09 pm

I would like to minimize or disable all simulation graphics on FlightGear to reduce the CPU usage .

Assuming you essentially want the FDM, running JSBSim in standalone mode might be closer to what you want than FG withour graphics.

In some situations you only want a simulated craft in a simulated world and the graphics doesn't matter

Admittedly I have difficulties imagining such a situation that's not FDM-only, so it'd probably help if you describe your actual use case.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm

The craft position is freezed?

ummm... are you saying that the x, y and z position numbers are not changing? which ones are you using?

FWIW: i kinda would expect that it would appear that they are not changing because there's no terrain around to be measured from...

i do rather agree with Thorsten, though... if all you are wanting is the FlightDynamicsModule then running the standalone JSBSim would seem to be the better option...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics