Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

SSD or HDD

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

SSD or HDD

Postby Couchflyer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:01 pm

I have just set up FG on a new laptop and loaded and installed whole world scenery from DVD, as I did on the old computer My old one is a basic HP pavilion g6 with an integrated graphics card, and I got only about 6 fps if I used max settings. I therefore set everything to minimum which gave about 10 to 20 fps flying the Cessna 172P or Piper Comanche.
The new laptop is MSI GE62VR with Intel i7, Nvidia GTX 1060 and 16 Gb of RAM. It has 126Gb SSD (C: drive) and 1Tb HHD. (D: drive named Data)
I now get 60 fps.
However, I get a message that the SSD if virtually full, and that this is a problem.
I checked the storage and see that the scenery is all on the SSD, while the HDD is virtually empty.
Never had SSD before so didn't stipulate which drive to load the scenery data to.
Can I - should I- move the scenery files to the HDD ? would that cause any problems, and will it effect the FPS, or does it not really matter anyway?
Presumably the data files should be on the data drive?
Couchflyer

Re: SSD or HDD

Postby sim » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:12 pm

should I- move the scenery files to the HDD ? would that cause any problems, and will it effect the FPS

Reckon you should move 'em to HDD and let forum fliers know if you spot any fall off in performance or FPS. 8)
Doubt you'll see any noticeable difference.
You might even try leaving SSD as is and installing a parallel Flightgear including scenery on the D drive.
As long as desktop shows two separate Flightgear icons and you can remember which one to click on! :wink:
Last edited by sim on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sim

Callsign: Fly4Fun
Version: 0.9.10 up

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:14 pm

If you see in the launcher, you can choose the folder where you download it to. Just choose a place on the HDD?

legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Couchflyer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 am

yes. thanks guys. I moved all scenery to HDD and freed up SSD space. No loss of performance or fps. as far as I can notice.
Couchflyer

Postby tdammers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:49 am

AFAIK, scenery loading is done asynchronously, so slow disks should never affect frame rate. If the disk can't keep up, what you'll see is missing scenery, but not slow frame rates.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Return to Hardware