Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Flightplans: How to edit

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Flightplans: How to edit

Postby Clive2670 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Have you ever downloaded a flightplan, or made your own then found you cannot save any edits you make? Here's how in Windows:
1: Download your flightplan for flightgear form whichever online flightplan creator like http://onlineflightplanner.org/ and store it in a floder on your desktop. As sometimes these flightplan creators have flaws and throw in "rogue" waypoints which will take you wildly off course!!!
2: Open this folder right click "copy"
3: RIGHT Click on your windows icon, then "right click" Run in the box type %appdata% click "OK"
4: Double click to open "Flightgear.org" folder
5: Double click to open the "export" folder
6: Transfer the items that you hit "copy" on from your desktop
Now you can edit and save the flightplans in flightgear on the "Route Manager" i.e different flight levels, change waypoints etc. DON'T FORGET once edited to click "save" and it will ask you if you want to overwrite the exsisting flightplan click "YES" And hey presto all done!
Hope this helps a few people as it took me a while to work it out :P :P :P
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Re: Flightplans: How to edit

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:45 pm

FWIW: when i download flight plans from web sites like that, i download them straight into my ~/.fgfs/Export directory...

yes, they can have way points that FG doesn't know about... FG will do whatever with them... some of the plans come with the lon/lat of the way point... FG works well with those...

when i save the downloaded file, i also adjust the file name to my liking which tells me more about the plan... when i load them in the Route Manager, i can tell which one i want to get easier... i do edit the route sometimes, too... it varies as to whether i remove any way points... sometimes i do and depending on the reason for the removal, i may save the edited plan with a slightly changed file name...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Good point wkitty42, just thought I'd do this as the export folder isn't always the easiest folder to locate if you don't know where it is!!!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:25 pm

that's true! :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Wecsje » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:53 am

Download from SkyVector (.gpx) and never have any problems with missing waypoints.

C.
Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/wecsjelive
Contact methods: Discord (Wecsje#6351), FlightSims United discord (https://discord.me/flightsimsunited), Steam (Wecsje)
Track me on VATSIM: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1397313
Wecsje

Callsign: WS208J
Version: Newest

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:34 pm

way points are missing in FG because the .dat files need updating and the way points are changed at times in real life... systems that produce route plans that have all way points generally also have them with their lon/lat as mentioned... ones that assume the app has all known way points may use some that are not in the app's list... one only need open the flight plan file in an editor to see all the lon/lat entries ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Clive2670 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Waypoints aren't "missing" it just throws in "random" ones that take your 2000 Nm miles off course!!!!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:24 pm

there is actually a method to the madness... in all cases i've seen, the one that's way out of line has the name the same as another one... the problem is/was the algorithm used to search the places database... for some reason, some things are done in reverse of how you might expect*... in this case, it results in finding the further way point instead of the nearer one... it should find the nearer one anyway because of the way the ""rules"" are written for use by pilots... more than one way point of the same name, select the one closest to the path plot of the flight being configured... the part about the filtering out the far ones seems to be flawed or missing when the parsing reads the flight plan and looks for way point names when they do not come with specific coordinates...

* eg: the way the sim downloads scenery... you would think it would start with the A/ directory and go down thru to Z/ but it doesn't... instead it splits the list in half and pulls one half of that before the other... i don't recall if it splits more than once, though... in any case, inevitably, N thru Z are downloaded before A thru M...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:01 pm

wkitty42, I'm not referencing the dynamics of F/G itself I'm refering to 'plans downloaded from here: http://onlineflightplanner.org/ You have to check everyone for "rogue" waypoints before you use it, or you could end up with a 2000Nm detour!!!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:22 am

i simply use the CTRL-M map and look at the pretty route purple line... you can easily see deviation from the desired path and remove wild way points... takes only seconds... can even be done in flight if you remove the point before it is referenced as the next point...

in any case, if that flight planner doesn't work for you and you get wild way points that you have to edit, there's other flight planner sites available... i have several i use IF i choose to use one... generally i don't and just build my own or i let FG build it... most of the time, i let FG build it but then might see what i spoke of above... still the same solution, though... no matter if self generated or downloaded ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Flying