Board index Other Forum

This is a dead end -- Goodbye

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

This is a dead end -- Goodbye

Postby Octal450 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I have bad news.

I am leaving the FlightGear forums. Permanently. This community has been hostile to me one to many times, and I do not understand why. While battling my medical issues, this stress is not helpful. I have been thinking about this on and off for the last 7 months or so, so this is not a sudden decision. To those who were kind to me, I am forever grateful, and I wish things could be different, but sadly this is not the case.

Q: What will happen to *it0uchpods Hangar*?
A: Most planes will be removed and are mirrored to FGMEMBERS if you want them.

Q: What will happen to IDG?
A: I am continuing my development privately.

Q: What happens to the mumble server?
A: It doesn't cost me anything to run it, because I already have that PC for other tasks. So, I will not shut it down for now. I put my good friend "J Maverick 16" in charge of the server, the moderators who have been moderating it for the last months will do a great job, I'm sure.

Q: Who is at fault?
A: I will not publicly name the people involved, I will continue to be respectful to those users.

I apologize and I wish you all well with FlightGear and your personal projects.

Best Regards,
Josh

PS: Forum admins can move me to the "Retired" group. Thanks.
Last edited by Octal450 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Re: This is a dead end -- Goodbye

Postby wlbragg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:02 am

This community has been hostile to me one to many times

I would submit that it is not "this community", but only a few disrespectful people you don't get along with that are the issue. After all I am part of "this community" as well as many people you consider friends and I hope you would think us incapable of being hostile to you!

Josh, as always, I hate to see anyone I have come to know and respect leave because of a few rude people. If I took rude people seriously I think I'd never get on-line again.

Just know that you have much support here too. Hopefully the friends you have made far outnumber the rude people you've been exposed to.

For sure your health concerns have to be a top priority.

Maybe with a little time and distance you will revisit your feelings about all this and join us again.

Take care!
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 am

you said it better than i could, @wlbragg... i started to try to write something several times but there were a lot of "four letter words" in there and i just dropped it... it is those disrespectful few that really mess things up for everyone... it is probably the same few that also harass jomo and others on MP... some day, the available tech will turn up who they are...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby CaptB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:31 am

This is a indeed a sad event and a setback especially for the A320. I respect this decision and I will not comment since I know nothing of the circumstances that led to it. It is important however to not waste all the time and effort already put into this project and continue work. Hopefully the community will also step in and help here.

Best regards.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 pm

"This community has been hostile" ... This community, in other words, all people here reading and writing are hostile, i can't understand what imprecise you described us, people around the world, and can't understand how you let whole and success A320 and IDG projects on the limbo (fgmembers) to coexist with lifetime unfinished projects in FG. To start something, make sure to get some nice end or others will have more work or start from 0. I'm worried of your health and i want you to stay with us but taking exit door because some "unknown" people and then categorizing the community the same is unacceptable. FG graveyard is huge from aircraft to scenery projects and users too. Hope someone experienced will restore Airbus projects and let FG community fly free.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby hans05 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:50 pm

@Catalanoic:
English is obviously not your first language and it is also not mine. But let me tell you: Your post makes a very impolite even slightly aggressive impression to me and I would not wonder if posts like yours supported it0uchpods' decision to leave.
Even if you do not mean it that way, I just tell you how you post comes across to me.

@"theForum":
I've been posting many times now that I find that many people have been treated disrespectfully and the result was that I myself have been treated disrespectfully (at least I feel so).
Even if YOU (yes: you and you you....) think that you have always treated everybody with respect, then still you should open your mouth also in the case that you see somebody else misbehaving. "Getting it into your face" is much easier and more acceptable if there is a critical amount of people standing up against that.
If you feel that people like it0uchpods should stay here, then stop blaming him for leaving and doing this or that wrong. Start to question yourself how you contribute to respect or disrespect.

Now, before anybody starts again complaining about hans again writing stupid nerve wrecking nonsense:
By now you should know what to expect from my posts and if you have read this far, it is you own fault :wink:
hans05

Postby Octal450 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:51 pm

You are right -- but regardless this is goodbye.

Well, you can blame @J Maverick 16, as he got me to continue my work -- but I stay away from forums, etc from now on -- sadly these users ruined that for me, but I don't want my work to go to waste.

Thanks for all your kind words, but from now I do my work privately to GitHub and Slack.

So I sign out for the last time, goodbye.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411

Postby jomo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Catalanoic wrote in Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:21 pm:"This community has been hostile" ... This community, in other words, all people here reading and writing are hostile, ...
I guess based on my experiences I must comment:
1. Josh did support me as well in trying to get (as I call it:) "idiots" to reconsider their doing as also supporting me in any technical matter. Thank you very much for that, josh - I will miss you.

2. I am surprised that educated people use stupid sentences as e.g. the above quote. Especially those who visited EDDF-Triangle over some time must have noticed that more and more people are using the anonymity inside the growing FGFS-environment to act like Cybercriminals. By that they more and more destroy our beloved, free FGFS environment - and even worse: They force knowledgeable people, that spend a lot of there valuable time and knowledge, to resign!

I hope we can find ways to deal with that problem by telling idiots that they are idiots - just capable of destroying great things created by really great people! Let us not support those idiots in chasing away all experts that we need to expand the capabilities of FGFS!
jomo / ATCjomo + EDDFjo + EDDFjo1 + EDDFjo2
ATC at EDDF Fr,Sa,Su,We from 20:00 to 24:00 CET/MEZ., see http://www.emmerich-j.de
jomo

Callsign: jomo EDDFjo1+2

Postby Thorsten » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:15 pm

@Josh - do whatever works out for you and your life - and if that's not developing aircraft, then it's just not. You've worked hard for a reputation as a capable aircraft developer, and that no one will take from you.

All the best wishes for whatever else you plan to do - and for improvements of your health.

Personally, I can confirm that developing is most of the time an ungrateful task, because doling out quick criticism is far easier than actually useful support, so you get far more of the former than of the latter (not to speak of the matter that some of us are frequently subject to outright ad-hominem attacks - not how much this was the case here). So I can relate to the desire to simply walk away.

Speaking for myself - I remember we had a rough start, I think we worked it out - it was nice to have you here. Thanks for all the hard work you put into AP design and so many other things - autolanding a plane is one hell of an achievement.

Now, my 2 cents to a few statements made here:

To start something, make sure to get some nice end or others will have more work or start from 0.

There's no obligation like that - we're all volunteers here. We welcome contributions, but if anyone won't contribute further, that's completely okay. If the work is GPLd, it can (and often will) be picked up by others - that's how OpenSource development works. In the event, it seems that people are around to take care of the work, so there's nothing amiss I can see.

If anyone is concerned about the work being abandoned - feel free to step in help keep the effort going - that's all there is to it.

@hans05

I've been posting many times now that I find that many people have been treated disrespectfully and the result was that I myself have been treated disrespectfully

With a due sense of futility - but there's a difference between a respectable aircraft developer and someone who makes free of copyrighted content - stating that the latter is not okay in this community is not disrespectful. Please stop using each and every thread to bring up issues that have been explained to you multiple times by users, moderators and the forum admin himself. There is plenty of disrespect shown by yourself in not accepting how the community works - but I can't see any relation to this thread.
Thorsten

Postby CaptB » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:26 pm

Just to clear things up. Josh was convinced to continue his work on the IDG A320, he will just keep away from the forum. This project is still alive.

Regards.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:28 pm

Just to clear things, Josh described us as hostile community, I just not agree with that, shame these last words, but nothing about to lose respect for such a distinguished user. If Josh keep an eye on IDG A320 project or developing privately would be great even if it's in third party hangar, using a github account is pretty easy. No need to remark all these ideals of free software that in practice do not always work, just look at how many projects are on a suspended or unfinished state for years in the simulator.
@hans05: Thorsten is right, i think you're using my first statement to punish me for unproved disrespect (just read again the quote or my 2nd post) when you do it on other threads multiple times.

We will all be sorry to lose here such a capable user, who due to bad circumstances and some absurd reasons results more than the benefit of the existing and future users.
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby stuart » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi All,

I've removed various posts which degenerated into an off-topic argument.

To prevent a re-occurrence I've locked the topic, and would like to take the opportunity to publicly thank it0uchpods for his contribution to this forum and the wider FlightGear project and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

-Stuart (the mod).
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Return to Forum