Board index FlightGear Multiplayer events

Mumble Server

Virtual fly-ins, fun flies, competitions, and other group events. Find out details of upcoming events, register for competitions, or organize your own tour of a favorite location.

Re: Mumble Server

Postby Octal450 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi,
There is no controversy. I simply decided never to use their services again due to the extreme rudeness I was met with when asking a simple question.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby LoCall » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:29 pm

I was in the shadow and staying out of the line until now.
I know this history from inside out.

Sorry Itouchpod I wich you the best in life in and outside FG, but the said rudeness is a lie.
You just received "no" at you demand to have admin rights.

Until now, every and each demand, have been taken on consideration, a lot of, realized. But for each there was a process a little bit more deep then "YES/NO" in half a second.

I will not answer to posts feeding this polemic or other one.

I will take my time to write a post which will explain here with due clarity the difference and divergence of needs of our community.
Having one camp saying "green" and the other wanting war because the want "yellow" is out of interest for me and for anyone desring not use FG community as a Wrestling Ring.

LoCall.
LoCall

Postby Octal450 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi LoCall,
I am not exactly sure what you are talking about.

I never even asked for admin rights in the mumble.zenserv.fr FlightGear server -- nor do I want it. (I have no time to moderate, hence why I have some people doing it on the itpns.ddns.net server instead of myself)

I asked for a workshop room, and was told no, and I accept that. It's a luxury, and I would never speak down to a server just because of something like that, which would be rather immature.

Furthermore, this was not directed at the operator of the server, but at the zenserv server hosting group in general, which I have avoided since. You may notice they offer a few different services, (https://www.zenserv.fr), and the specific incident I am speaking about had nothing to do with the FlightGear server, or Mumble! It was regarding a TeamSpeak server owned by a former friend of mine. So I have no idea what you are talking about!

Please do not spread false information about me, I never asked for admin rights -- nor do/did I want them!

In closing, I avoid all ZenServ hosted servers, whether or not they are related.

All the best,
Josh

PS: This is not an attack on the server operators, or the owners, and I mean no offense to you or the team who own/moderator the server.

PPS: This is about the 10th (or so, don't remember) time I've been accused of something which I did not do here in the FlightGear Community, and I do not know why this is.
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:01 pm

(irreverent)
Last edited by Octal450 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Octal450

Re: Zenserv

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 pm

icare38 wrote in Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 pm:FGcom, will you say ?
This is exactly the idea, BUT with an audio quality making it usable...

ummm... unless i'm mistaken, FGCom strives to recreate realistic radio comms... that includes noise and dropouts...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby fb237 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Does it honestly matter, really? There were once two FG Discord servers. Actually, it's a good thing there is more than one as it allows for better quality of service as the load will be more distributed. There are several Multiplayer FG servers, c'mon man. There is a FlightGear IRC server. Don't bite off the hands that feed you (more plainly, they are providing you the ability to communicate, so respect the service. Josh provided you a server using his bandwidth, he did not have to do that and use that bandwidth for something else). Also, proprietary services or not, I could probably guarantee you right now, the internet connection you are using is very well proprietary and has a not so 100% terms of service. There are many chat protocols for a reason, each have their pros and cons. Discord can do more than Mumble can, persistent chat etc. IRC is great too, but no persistent chat unless you log it all client side. FGCom is cool too. FlightGear is a freedom-based community project, is it not? Let the community (think individually too), decide what they would like to use and allow for the community to have its own communication servers run by community members, in peace. It does not matter, remember we all do this for fun as a hobby :D .

-FB, co-admin of the FG Discord server.
fb237

Callsign: fb237

Postby swampthing » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 pm

Oh save us all! If you can't use a type of software that works very well because its proprietary and "it doesn't fit in with FG being GPL" you should really get over yourself.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby swampthing » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 pm

The main thing is being able to communicate via voice. GPL or non GPL why does it really matter? Can people stop arguing about petty crap and have fun for once?
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Postby hans05 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:41 am

@it0uchpods:
I wish you get well soon!! People with good & stable health can not imagine how it is to not have that privilege!
Also I wish that after you got well, you consider re-joining since by staying away, you leave the ground the those who are acting in a non-desirable manner.

@swampthing:
For people like me it is not about GPL or not GPL. There are many things that I do not like about Discord apart from license:

• In order to register, they do try to make sure that you use no anonymous account (they DO check pretty professionally if your email address might be fake!). I personally like staying anonymous.
  • After I managed to register anyway, one day later my account got blocked because....my IP-address changed! WHAT? For most people the IP-address changes every day.
  • It is far to blingbling for me. I like it the simple way.
  • It uses many of the psycho-tools that all other social media platforms use to "draw you in" (make you addict). I strongly dislike that.
  • I consider the above points "smelly", so I do not like to download a non-open-source client from such a company to my PC. I guess the client would magically solve the "change-of-IP-address-issue", am I right? Oh, and open-source != GPL.
  • So officially they support using Discord over web browser but in practice that does not work. For me again "smelly".

I strongly believe that everybody should have the freedom to choose the comm-tool they feel comfortable with and for me this is Mumble and not Discord.

Nevertheless I strongly do agree with you that it makes no sense to "argue" about this, you have fun with Discord and I will have fun on Mumble as long as it still runs now that it0uchpods is no more with us :(
hans05

Postby Octal450 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Thank you for your kind wishes, hans.

Josh

Octal450

Radio quality

Postby icare38 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:04 pm:ummm... unless i'm mistaken, FGCom strives to recreate realistic radio comms... that includes noise and dropouts...

FORTUNATLY, in the true life, VHF quality is far better than FGcom one...
I can understand the idea to downgrade audio quality according to the context (distance, altitude, meteo), but at this point it is not realistic, it is unusable.

Best regards.
icare38

Callsign: AFR2222
Version: GIT

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:24 pm

that's quite possible but no one has reported or attempted to fix and contribute the fix AFAICS... since i found FG and joined the forums, all i've seen is folks whining about FGCom and how it works... but no one has reported or tried to fix it... just whining and then ""jumping ship"" to something else... granted the purpose is slightly different but that's still no excuse to just totally throw it out...

FWIW: VHF isn't always that clean, either... it depends on a lot of variables ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby swampthing » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 am

I wonder if you could run some audio filter to simulate it before it gets to mumble or discord. I like the Idea of FGcomm but you still need some place to communicate if you are going to do a last minute flight with some buddies. That's where Discord and mumble come in handy but first people have to actually start flying again.....
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:14 pm

i fully agree with the OOB (out of band) comms stuff... you can't talk if your craft/sim crashes... so OOB would be the thing... BUT i also believe that, for the reality factor that everyone talks so much about, all flight related comms should go through the craft's radios... not some OOB channel... using OOB for flight comms is like calling the tower or ground control on your cell phone... it is just unrealistic ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby swampthing » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:36 am

Yeah maybe have the other on standby to let everyone know FG crashed but to be honest I haven't had any crashes in quite some time. A lot of that was cause by things being sent over MP. Its over my head but I think Richard and others that are core devs have fixed that issue. Not intentionally leaving any names out I only know who i talk to is all.
www.opredflag.com
swampthing

PreviousNext

Return to Multiplayer events