Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Wiki editing: no way back to Editing from Preview.  Topic is solved

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Wiki editing: no way back to Editing from Preview.

Postby dany93 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi,

I had to do (and did) a few minor changes on the Wiki... I'm confused.

In the past, I believed to remember seeing tabs with "Edit", "History", etc. Nothing now.

When in Editing mode, "Next" gives me a Preview, but I cannot go back to "Editing". The "Back" arrow does nothing. I only have "Save" as a choice. Or Quit (abandon edit, everything is lost).
The "Back" arrow from Preview to Editing only works if I have made no changes.

Moreover, I find no way to do a personal, temporary saving of my changes, before doing the true submitting by "Save" only when I'm satisfied.

Am I missing something?

Dany

My last edit attempt failed (Edit and Previewing worked but "Save" waited indefinitely). SourceForge issue?
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Wiki editing: no way back to Editing from Preview.

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 pm

yes, there is some type of problem... i was just met with the following pasted all over the top of the page when visiting the wiki home page...

Code: Select all
Warning: apc_store(): GC cache entry 'global:resourceloader:ResourceLoaderModule::safeFileHash:/home/wiki/wiki/resources/src/mediawiki/mediawiki.js:2' was on gc-list for 3977 seconds in /home/wiki/wiki/includes/libs/objectcache/APCBagOStuff.php on line 96

Warning: apc_store(): GC cache entry 'global:resourceloader:ResourceLoaderModule::safeFileHash:/home/wiki/wiki/resources/lib/phpjs-sha1/sha1.js:2' was on gc-list for 3977 seconds in /home/wiki/wiki/includes/libs/objectcache/APCBagOStuff.php on line 96

Warning: apc_store(): GC cache entry 'fg_wiki-mw_:registration:9da4241d9be99f4a694f5396ff7bcb49:1:2' was on gc-list for 4215 seconds in /home/wiki/wiki/includes/libs/objectcache/APCBagOStuff.php on line 96

there are tabs for read, edit and view history but they are almost buried in the above output... an admin will need to look into this...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 am

the problem i reported above seems to be fixed, now...

@dany93: when you preview and you want to edit some more, just scroll to the bottom of the page and there's the editing area to continue working in... i thought this was the case yesterday when i went to check on it but was met with the above error stuffings...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dany93 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:03 am

Thank you for your responses @wkitty42,

I checked it, in 'Previewing' mode I have no such editing area to click on at the bottom of the page. I only see the Preview.
The 'Back' arrow does nothing, only 'Save' is active.
This might have been the case in the past (by memory, you make me to remind of this, with a doubt) but no longer is. However, this way is confusing, this area is not obvious to see, and the 'Back' arrow seems here to do that. Although it would be better than nothing.

Edit: something is weird: I have this anomaly with Mozilla Firefox but not with Chromium. Chromuim seems OK for editing, previewing (and go back to editing). :?
Moreover, Firefox does not allow to send a change if in contains a web link. Probable because of the anti-spam question asked by the wiki site.
Mozilla Firefox Quantum 58.0.2
Chromium 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18 (64-bit.
Last edited by dany93 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dany93

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 am

that's weird, dany93... i only use FF and currently have Quantum 58.0.2 64bit, too, but i'm running on kubuntu 14.04.5... i have a couple of other browsers but only use them for testing sometimes... have you tried flushing your cache? what addons are you using? i have only noscript and adblock plus installed and tuned... the back button (aka ALT-LEFT) pops up a box asking if i want to leave the editing page... this is protection in case it hasn't been saved yet... when i preview, i just scroll down below the preview and the editing box is there to continue... i don't know anything more... sorry...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby dany93 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Don't be sorry @wkitty42, rather many thanks for your responses and suggestions.

I've flushed my web cache in Firefox, it changes nothing.

Extensions:
I only have Adblock Plus.
Plugins:
- Codec Video OpenH264
- Shockwave Flash 28.0 r0
dany93

Postby bugman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm

@Dany: I suggest also clearing your cookies.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby dany93 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:57 pm

@Edwards, (@bugman)

Bingo!
I only cleared my wiki.flightgear.org cookies and that was enough. Everything appears and works again in Firefox.

Thank you so much Edward for your acuteness.

And thank you too, wkitty42.

Dany
dany93

Return to The FlightGear project