Board index FlightGear Support Installation

FlightGear scenery error

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FlightGear scenery error

Postby AllAirlineAlliance » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:32 am

Hello,
A few days ago, I installed FlightGear 3.1 on my windows computer. I loaded up the Cessna and the 747 (which I had downloaded), went to Los Angeles Intl Airport and clicked fly. The aircraft loads up, half in the ground. There are no buildings, just a green pixelated ground. AI aircraft still appear. I don't know what is wrong!
AllAirlineAlliance

Re: FlightGear scenery error

Postby Thorsten » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 am

You have no scenery for Los Angeles installed it seems.
Thorsten

Postby bugman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 am

FlightGear version 3.1 was a developmental version from 2014! Please see:

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Best thing to do is to download 2018.1 once it releases, in a few days --> best to hold on to avoid paying for two 1.6GB downloads on your internet bill :)

For those worried about performance, the later 2017 versions seemed to actually improve performance, so it shouldn't be an issue.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby AllAirlineAlliance » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Oh shoot sorry! I meant FlightGear v2017.3.1.!

And I think KLAX is actually a default airport, according to this article:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/List_of_developed_airports
AllAirlineAlliance

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm

the KLAX entry on that page does not indicate that it was the default airport in FG at all... for those, you'd be better off looking here -> http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_History#Cycled_default_airports ;)

PHNL in Honolulu, Hawaii, is the default for the upcoming release...

LKPR in Prague, Czech Republic, was the default for 2017.3.1 that you point to...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AllAirlineAlliance » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 am

So do you mean that the airport in Czech Republic is the only airport you can fly to?
AllAirlineAlliance

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 pm

i think we're talking about two different things here... you said "a default airport" and i said "the default airport"...

THE default airport changes with each new release right now... (most) all airports are available... they will be "in the ocean" unless you have downloaded the terrain for them... the default airport comes with one or possibly two tiles around it... everything else has to be downloaded... this allows folks new to FG to install it, hop into the c172p and take a scenic flight around the default airport... if they fly close to the edges of the tile(s), they will (should) see water... if terrasync is enabled in the launcher, FG will automatically download the scenery for additional tiles as you approach them in your flight...

there are other ways to download scenery, too... terramaster, terrasync.py and one or two others... they're all external to FG... the entire world is currently about 85Gig (he says without looking to confirm)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby AllAirlineAlliance » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 am

Okay! I understand now! I downloaded KLAX scenery and now its working!
AllAirlineAlliance

Postby ruhuna » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:05 am

Hi there,

I installed FG 2018.2.2 on win 10 (Home). It runs without any problems but I can see only Hilo Intl (PHTO) airport. I have been using FG 3.4 before and it came with a number of airports already installed. I D/Loaded a 10X10 chunk 'e140s40 zip file' and unzipped and put it in ....data\scenery\objects and terrain folders but still not picking up the airports. Tried different 10x10 chunks without success.

My questions 1) Is only PHTO in the 2018 version. 2)Once downloaded 10x10 chunk how do I set it up to work. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ruhuna

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:35 am

Hi,
2018.3 is just released yesterday and comes with PHNL and PHTO - you can get it from sourceforge ;)
You can download scenery automatically using TerraSync - there is an option in the launcher for that.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby ruhuna » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 am

Thanks for the reply. Cheers
ruhuna

Return to Installation