Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Mouse steering

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Mouse steering

Postby vangphucthinh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:31 am

I have just had my Flightgear 3.1 installed. As usual, I get used to using mouse to control. But in FG 3.1, I can't use the mouse, I tried to press Tab but it doesn't work. How can I switch to mouse steering?
vangphucthinh

Re: Mouse steering

Postby RJ5576 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 am

You should upgrade to 2017.3.1. Or if you mean 2017.3.1 by "3.1", then press TAB until your cursor is a crosshair (+), and you can adjust the ailerons and elevators by moving the mouse.

Steering on the ground is another matter. Most aircraft steer using the rudder axis (KP 0 to go left and KP ENTER to go right). If you insist on using the mouse, make the cursor a crosshair as described above and hold the left mouse button down as you move the mouse to turn (yaw) left or right.
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 pm

RJ5576 wrote in Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 am:You should upgrade to 2017.3.1.

or wait a few more days for 2018.1.1 :mrgreen:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby vangphucthinh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:56 pm

RJ5576 wrote in Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 am:You should upgrade to 2017.3.1. Or if you mean 2017.3.1 by "3.1", then press TAB until your cursor is a crosshair (+), and you can adjust the ailerons and elevators by moving the mouse.

Steering on the ground is another matter. Most aircraft steer using the rudder axis (KP 0 to go left and KP ENTER to go right). If you insist on using the mouse, make the cursor a crosshair as described above and hold the left mouse button down as you move the mouse to turn (yaw) left or right.

That what I said, Flightgear 2017.3.1, I tried to press Tab many times but it doesn't appear the "+" cursor
vangphucthinh

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm

actually, you said "3.1", not "2017.3.1"... you said it twice, even... there is a huge difference between the two ;)

FWIW: 3.1 was the beta version from 2014 Feb to 2014 Oct
http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_History#Release_timeline

on the mouse controls... the first time you press the TAB key, there's a box that comes up saying "Mouse is controlling the flight controls. Press TAB to change."... at that point, your mouse should be the controller... if you press the TAB again, the box says "Mouse is controlling view direction. Press TAB to change."... now the mouse is controlling your view point... press it once more and you're back to standard controls... do you see those boxes when you press the TAB key?

does the mouse work properly in FG for clicking on the menu options or moving around on the maps?

i just tested this on the latest code and i didn't see the + cursor until i moved the mouse... so try not waiting for the + cursor... hit TAB until it tells you the mouse is controlling the flight controls and then go for it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Gijs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 pm

You may want to check the in-sim File > Mouse Configuration menu. Some aircraft override the Tab-key with their own function, in those cases you can use the "Click right mouse to cycle mouse behaviour" option. You didn't say if it happens to all aircraft, so this is merely a guess based on the little information that we do have.
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby vangphucthinh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:50 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm:the first time you press the TAB key, there's a box that comes up saying "Mouse is controlling the flight controls. Press TAB to change.".

When I pressed TAB, I see no box saying "Mouse is controlling the flight controls. Press TAB to change.". The only way to fly is using keyboard
Last edited by Gijs on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please quote sparsely
vangphucthinh

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 pm

what OS are you using?
what video card are you using?
have you turned off popups and tooltips?
are you running full screen or in a window?
what craft are you using and does it happen with all craft you try? try the UFO and see what happens...

here's an image of the message box i'm speaking of... it appears for maybe 5 seconds and then goes away...

"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Flying