Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Postby pommesschranke » Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Has anyone tried:

http://www.thrustmaster.com/de_DE/produ ... der-pedals

(with Linux) ?

they look good on the pictures and are cheaper that Logitech/Saitek.
pommesschranke

Callsign: d-laser
IRC name: laserman
Version: git

Re: Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals

Postby daweed » Mon May 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello, working fine under Mint 18 (the rudder have been bought a month ago)
Just need to catch the xml file post on this forum

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12363&p=299727&hilit=TFRP#p299727

Rudder is OK (tested with C172p, M2000, A320 / A330)
Brake are OK (tested with C172p, M2000, A320 / A330) (independant right / left brake)

On the first connexion Brakes Axis was inverted. Then i found the above file

And i used the jscal utility to setup correct calibration.
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby Couchflyer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi
I have the T.Flight rudder pedals and yes the toe brakes axis is reversed. I obtained the xml file as mentioned and will edit using notepad++ if I knew what changes to make. I hoped that removing the minus sign from the offset and value lines might reverse the effect but no. Still the brakes are fully applied until the brake pedals are pressed, when the brakes release.so that on take off the brake pedals have to be held hard down which interferes with the pedal steering .
Thrustmaster tell me that the pedals are working fine and it is something to do with Flightgear. I assume that they mean that the problem has not occurred in other flight simulators.
Can anyone tell me what I could do in the xml script as stated by C H Conrad to solve this?
At present I simply deactivate the toe brakes and have used a button on my Saitek yoke to apply parking brakes intermittently as required.
I see on other pilots forums that in the real world, many pilots will not use toe brakes anyway unless really needed, especially landing a small plane on a long runway as they just roll out as speed naturally decreases. The real need for toe brakes would be for differential braking in a plane that does not have nose wheel steering for taxiing . I should say that I only fly small planes on Flightgear.
Still I would like to solve this if anyone can let me know what to do.
Thanks
Couchflyer

Postby AndersG » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

To reverse the direction of an axis you'd need to change the sign of the <factor> element and (if the axis doesn't have a symmetric range around 0) the value in the <offset> element.

E.g. for the Saitek Pro Flight pedals the brakes are bound as follows:
Code: Select all
 <axis n="0">
  <desc>Brake left</desc>
  <binding>
   <command>property-scale</command>
   <property>/controls/gear/brake-left</property>
   <offset>1.0</offset>
   <factor>0.5</factor>
  </binding>
 </axis>

It seems the range of the joystick axis must be somewhat strange - 0 for fully pressed and -2 for released? I need to double check this, but this configuration does work well in practice for my Saitek pedals.

It may help you if you could check the actual range of the brake axes on your pedals using js_demo.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Couchflyer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 pm

thanks again for taking the time on this.
I have edited the sequence as suggested by removing the 'minus' sign but that makes no difference to the pedal function. the toe brakes are still fully applied with feet off the pedals and only release when the pedals are fully depressed - real planes don't work like that -- do they?
what other changes might result in the pedals acting when depressed?
Couchflyer

Postby AndersG » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:04 pm

That nothing changed when you flipped the sign in the factor element may suggest that FlightGear is not actually using the file you edited. I think the in-game joystick configuration dialog shows which file it has loaded. It's worth checking, at least.
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby Avionyx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:33 am

Do you want to send me your file? I'll try it on mine, I don't use Toe brakes but probably would like to get them working so willing to have a stab at it if I can replicate the same issue on this end.
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby Couchflyer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 am

Hi
Thanks for this
The file is taken from a post by E F Conrad in the forum and includes the negative signs in left brake and right brake

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!--
* Setup for Thrustmaster T-Flight rudder pedals.
* These are USB rudder pedals with toe brakes. Bindings are as
* follows:
* Axis 0 (toe, right pedal): right differential brake
* Axis 1 (toe, left pedal): left differential brake
* Axis 2 (combined sliding pedal action): rudder (and nosewheel)
* Settings are similar to the pedals found in the Logitecgh G940 set:
* Axes are numbered right-to-left for brakes.
* Offset and Factor values are negative.
$Id$
-->

<PropertyList>

<name>T-Rudder</name>

<axis n="1">
<desc>Brake left</desc>
<binding>
<property>/controls/gear/brake-left</property>
<offset>-1.0</offset>
<factor>-0.5</factor>
</binding>
</axis>

<axis n="0">
<desc>Brake right</desc>
<binding>
<property>/controls/gear/brake-right</property>
<offset>-1.0</offset>
<factor>-0.5</factor>
</binding>
</axis>

<axis n="2">
<desc>Rudder</desc>
<binding>
<property>/controls/flight/rudder</property>
<factor>1.0</factor>
<power>2</power>
<offset>0.0</offset>
</binding>
</axis>

</PropertyList>

as I said, deleting the negatives has made no difference to my toe brakes.
Thrustmaster state that the pedals work on flight sims, but does not specify Flightgear so I assume that they must work on Microsoft etc.
I am using Flightgear 2017.1.2 on Windows 10.
the function of the pedals is the same whether there is a 'T-Rudder' file in flightgear/inputs/joysticks or not - so I guess the program is reading direct from the usb and not referring to the data files on my computer?.
Couchflyer

Postby AndersG » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:19 pm

If it is a "normal" USB joystick (which I think it is) it should work fine with FlightGear. What you may need to do is adjust the binding/joystick configuration FlightGear uses for it.

FlightGear identifies the configuration file based on the name the joystick device reports via the operating system, matching this to one of the <name>-elements in the configuration file. It is not uncommon that different manufacturing batches of the same joystick model reports different names, and sometimes different joystick drivers (e.g. the one that comes with Windows v.s. one supplied with the joystick) causes the reported name to change. Hence, one very important thing to check is that exactly the right name is present in one of the <name>-elements in the joystick configuration file you want FlightGear to use. Failing to do this can easily lead you to edit in a file that FlightGear isn't using at all.

It is also worth noting that even if there is a file with a matching <name>-element shipped with FlightGear it might not yet be perfectly usable on your system. The numbering of the joystick axes (and buttons) can differ between operating systems and also between different manufacturing batches of the same joystick model (e.g. this applies to the Saitek / Mad Catz Av8tor joystick). So this is another thing to check.

js_demo.exe, if you can find it, is a decent way to get the raw information the operating system gives to FG. Use it to verify device name, axis numbering and ranges. It may need a really wide DOS/Command prompt window to display readable information (if you get scrolling line-broken numbers the window needs to be wider). With several devices attached, e.g. for my system with a Saitek Av8tor, throttles and pedals, a very wide window indeed is needed.
AndersG

Postby Couchflyer » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

AndersG is correct. I now see that flightgear is reading C:/Users/User/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/Input/Joysticks/T-Rudder.xml
When I open that in windows file explorer I see that it is indeed different to the file I quoted in the previous post.
I can read it there but it is not editable there.
I open it in notepad++ ok and can edit it - add negative signs to factors and offsets - but then how to apply those changes back into the file being read by flightgear?
just dropping into the thrustmaster folder in joysticks doesn't seem to work
Couchflyer

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:23 pm

that's the file FG is using... it is in that directory because it is personal to your configuration... FG made a copy of the default one and put it in there to hold changes you may have made through the GUI... you should be able to just save it with your changes right there where you opened it... then start FG and see if it reads it then...

are you using a higher logging level so you can see more of what's going on in the fgfs.log file that is also in that flightgear.org directory?

--log-level=debug
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Hardware