Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Saab 37 Viggen

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Saab 37 Viggen

Postby vanosten » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Would it be possible to have a toggle to make the canopy fully transparent? I do not have measurements to know, whether the frame looks too thick, it just does not feel right and it makes very hard on a standard screen to see the scenery. When you look at some of the Youtube videos about the Viggen, compare to the DCS version (which does not by default have to be more accurate) and compare with e.g. the ration of the frame vs. glass in the F-15, It looks odd.

So my suggestion would be to have a toggle to be able to cheat, so that only the frame of the windshield is not transparent (like when the canopy is open), but the canopy frame (the forward part) is transparent. That would really superb - everything else is IMHO superb in this model :-)
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Pronouns: he/his
Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby Necolatis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Hehe, I was actually happy with the current thickness. It used to be much worse, then Firefly completely remodeled the canopy also making it taller, and much thinner.
Hard to tell if its too thick or not, I tend to think it is, but not sure its by alot.
As for DCS AJS I think its hard to compare as their default camera view is much zoomed out, as can be seen in second image. But it doesn't look that much thinner, when you compare to gauge sizes.

Real Viggen with open canopy:

DCS Viggen with closed canopy:

I might make it toggle, but must admit I prefer people to maybe adjust their zoom instead, see if that helps. Or maybe you tried that already?
Truth is it canopy probably needs to be redone once again from scratch, and made thinner in the process, much prefer that to a toggle.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby vanosten » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I run around 85 degrees zoom level. The thing is that if you have a more traditional 4:3 ratio screen (like the photo above) then it makes more of a difference than if you have a ratio like the picture below. So it is just a suggestion.
Maintaining osm2city. Contributing with ground attack stuff to the OPRF FlightGear military-simulation community.
vanosten

Postby Necolatis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:00 pm

I have added it on todo list, it might be awhile before the canopy struts get a rewamp though, I hope you can wait. Not because its low priority, but because there are many 3D stuff that needs to be done, and due to nobody is working on its 3D atm.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Version 4.310 has just been commited to FGAddon. Will probably show up in the launcher later today or tomorrow with some luck.

Some highlights are:
    A/P rewamp by it0uchpods
    Symbology of HUD changed to be more authentic (mainly affect the tactical stuff)
    Removed auto-follow feature.
    Increased functionality of display cursor
    Bulls-eye, FF pilot points and LV-areas added.
    Startup states for FG 2018.1.1
    Metric/Imperial setting is no longer saved between sessions.

Changelog since 4.308:
----
Control: {it0uchpods} Fixed many A/P bugs.
Control: {it0uchpods} Fixed roll hold being affected by wind.
Control: {it0uchpods} Fixed pitch hold worked only with integers.
Control: {it0uchpods} Fixed A/P oscilations.
Control: {it0uchpods} Upgrade A/P rate based control system to latest IV system.
Sim: Fixed that some method were called to change canvas, before the script they were changing had been loaded.
HUD: Upper half squares is now radar echoes, with the selection having velocity vector and distance to set it apart.
HUD: Upper semi circle is now radar lock.
HUD: Lower semi circle is now IR lock. If radar is active and locked also, radar lock can show at same time.
HUD: Removed text from radar selection in the JA, its already in MI/TI displays.
HUD: No special symbols for ships or ground forces anymore. I still lack some info on the HUD symbology, but it looks like they did not have a symbol.
HUD: Removed lock diamond symbol also. Small IR seeker diamond is still there.
TI: ECM log will now also say when radar is turned silent or active.
Model: Removed radar screen switch from JA variants. Its now only in AJ variants for the CI display.
GUI: Removed Auto-follow from help, since its scheduled for removal soon, to be replaced with steering order from radar.
Test: Improved testing results for systems actually damaged.
Model: Added tooltips for circuit breakers.
TI: Fixed that after switching displays off, it would not allow to switch them back on.
Sim: Replaced auto-follow with radar steer order mode (RR). Use TI to enable when airborne.
TI: Heading bug will now show radar steer order.
HUD: Heading bug will now show radar steer order.
TI: Moved Radar selection infobox to right side, and allow it to show at same time as steerpoint infobox.
TI: Text info of radar selection in bottom field is now only shown at radar steer order.
TI: White circle around steer order symbol (steerpoints and radar selections).
Effect: Fixed that g-suit option would not change in options dialog.
Effect: G-suit setting is now persistent between sessions. default is JA/AJS=1979 AJ=1971.
DAP: Made room for more digit in data panel, when inputting longitude to TI237, for the negative sign.
Model: Added tooltips to frame of TI and Mi displays.
Sim: Added options in launcher 2018.1.1+ to startup with engines on.
Sim: Due to the new startup state options, interoperability setting is no longer saved between sessions.
TI: Cursor can now select a steerpoint (outside MSDA menu), it will then be active for steer order. Same with radar echoes.
TI: Moved steerpoint name on map a little further away from the steerpoint so the steer order circle do not overlap it.
TI: Can now show/edit bulls-eye.
TI: Bulls-eye infobox shows relation from bulls-eye to cursor. When cursor is in SVY or bottom textfield, infobox turns off.
DAP: Can now edit or delete bulls-eye (edit LV-area 179).
TI: When cursor not active bulls-eye show relation to radar selection.
TI: Bulls-eye infobox now uses degree symbol.
Sim: Authors listed in Launcher now includes it0uchpods and Spectre, since the authors font is smaller in 2018.1.1.
TI: The cursor is now able to select and command steer order on aircraft on SVY instead of randomly whats behind it.
TI: SVY is no longer shown in MSDA menu. (not 100% sure this is correct, but it makes sense..)
TI: Made bulls-eye symbol smaller.
TI: GPS now goes through Build In Test before initializing.
DAP: If GPS is installed can now be input/output.
Docs: Fixed typo in DAP-FPLDATA address 15.
TI: Made the 2Hz blinking more steady.
TI: Will now report low battery.
Docs: Updated JA readme with bulls-eye menu item and heatseeker specific items.
HUD: Fixed some code that used radar to get info on IR lock, instead of missile.
MI: Cursor can now select and unselect radar echoes. And cursor speed doubled.
Sim: Startup with engines on, now give no masterwarning from empty battery.
TI: SYST-TRAP-ALL menu item is now functional.
TI: As per manual flight horizon and FPI is now in OFF state per default.
TI: Flight data is now also shown in CLR when pitch is below 10 degree negative.
Model: Added some tooltips to the left radio panel.
Sim: When loading up with engines on the INS should now be finished initializing.
DAP: FF and LV points can now be input/output.
TI: Can now show LV/FF points.
TI: Removed functionality of menu item CONF-GPS-FIX, since it was doing something else than this function really was for.
DAP: LS/SKU button is now used in the JA37Di to send a request to delete a value when inputting to the TI.
TI: Manual event now shows human readable lat/lon instead of doubles. Also made it contain just the info the manual states it should have.
TI: Fixed that if bulls-eye is loaded before cursor is on TI, putting the cursor on TI would produce an error.
TI: Fixed inputing lon/lat of map-area points with DAP would blink the wrong field.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:38 am

Furthermore I added 2 more tutorial videos on YouTube:

Note: separated the videos into separate post.

Note2: Removed the temporary landing video.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Okay, I remade the landing tutorial.
Hope it is helpful.

— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Marty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks for the videos, they are very helpful!
Marty

Postby Octal450 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Thank you very much for these videos! Finally I can use that TI display right. ;)

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby vanosten » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Is there a way to slow down the Viggen with air brakes? Or do you just do extreme maneuvers to slow it down?
vanosten

Postby Necolatis » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm

It had speedbrakes (ctrl-b) [only deploy below mach 0.92 approx]

But the pilots stopped using them in the mid 80ties I think, as they were not very efficient.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 am

The Viggen in FGAddon is now at version 4.311

Last version was spring 2017, so development has been very slow, due to me taking some breaks from FG and due to working on the F-16 (work which hasn't hit FGAddon yet).

Main changes
--------------------
it0uchpods has refined the autopilot
Colin has made it possible to map input control devices directly to display cursors

Full changelog
---------------
Arms: Fixed regression that jettisoning all stores gives collision with the RB-99.
TI: Heading bug no longer shows if only doing radio navigation, use artificial horizon lines.
HUD: Heading bug no longer shows if only doing radio navigation, use artificial horizon lines.
TI: Fixed passive radar would see aircraft even if they had transponder and radar off.
TI: Replaced some getprops.
Radar: No longer supply selection to arms if radar is silent.
Arms: RB75 and RB05 now need less speed to steer.
Arms: RB75 is again set to pure pursuit guidance law.
Radar: Made check for LOS a bit more solid.
HUD: Fixed blinking selected when outside HUD view no longer work in tactical mode.
TI: Fixed bulls-eye infobox missing the degree symbol when showing direction to radar selection.
Arms: Missiles and bombs now are updated when flying in their own thread.
Arms: Weapons now avoid steering so that lock will be lost if can be avoided.
Arms: Dropped weapons are now released into the airstream instead of aircraft heading.
Arms: Made check for LOS a bit more solid.
HUD: Heatseeker icon now only shows in bore, uncaged scan or cursor commanded modes.
Radar: Added F16 to rcs. Guess of 2.
HUD: Heatseeker icon now only shows in bore, uncaged scan or cursor commanded modes.
Radar: Fixed the MP radar property was used inverted.
Arms: {Pinto} Added more parameters to in-flight function.
Arms: Added option to not release into wind.
Arms: Renamed pitch guidance to level.
Arms: "level" and "gyro-pitch" now more well behaved.
Arms: LOAL fix.
Arms: print statements optimization.
Arms: Fixed callsign for LOAL missiles.
Sim: Damage update.
Arms: attempt to load only single xml when firing, didnt work with smoke/explosion though.
Sim: {it0uchpods} Add modified distance zooming for exterior views.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Adds properties for cursor controls.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Adds new properties for cursor movements and trigger.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Read input from those properties instead of flight controls.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Cursor controls via flight controls does NOT work.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Fix cursor control handle animation.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Binds cursor control handle rotation to the correct properties.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Readds cursor control via flight controls.
Control: {Colin Geniet} Separates input and actual properties for cursor controls.
Control: {Colin Geniet} If cursor control via flight controls is enable, input properties are combined with flight controls input to calculate actual controls.
Radar: Added f16 to RCS and made it more error resistant.
Stores: Updated damage from bombs.
Arms: Updated to latest ordnance code.
Sim: Made state system compatible with auto state in Fg 2018.2
Docs: Updated authors and changelog.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:00 pm

An updated version has been uploaded to FGAddon, should probably be available in the launcher around tomorrow. It includes some nice updates by Colin.

Here is a video about the changes:

— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby Necolatis » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:02 pm

And a video about combat in the Viggen:

— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby OE-LML » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Hallo!

Sorry if I sneak in this thread and abuse it for some questions. :wink:

Since watching the Draken in the air 3 days ago, my newest hobby is to intercept and chase intruders with that cool FG-Viggen :D :mrgreen: :P (as unfortunately the FG-Draken seems to be less detailed).

1) Tank selection: Is there a way to manually select which tank(s) is/are used? The plane always selects one of the left tanks first and so it starts to roll to the right.

2) Flaps only extend when gear is down: Is there a way to extend flaps for low speed flying?

3) Pitch trim and flight control: Pitch trim seems to be automatically adjusted. How is pitch trim and flight control managed, does the real Viggen have some kind of fly-by-wire system?

4) Radio navigation: At the moment I'm using the AJ-37. But where can the ADF- and VOR-"needles" be displayed? The only thing I can make work is the DME gauge at HUD.

5) Unreadable displays: On the JA-37Di version the radar and navigation display is almost unreadable if the sun is shining and the Shader options of "Model" are set to maximum. (The same is true of the F-16 too.) Is this a common issue or is this because of my old notebook graphic card with some not up to date drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help.
CU.
Last edited by OE-LML on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
OE-LML

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft