Board index FlightGear Support Hardware

thrustmaster T-Rudder .xml

Joysticks, pedals, monitors.

thrustmaster T-Rudder .xml

Postby Couchflyer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:01 am

I have the Thrustmaster T-Rudder pedals and I find that the toe brakes have an inverted function, so the axis value goes from 0 to -1 instead of 0 to 1 . The 'INVERT' box merely disables the brakes completely.
I see that many others have the same situation and I have found the post by E F Conrad where he kindly provided the working joystick .xml . He said that the file should be named 'T-Rudderr.xml' and dropped into /input/joysticks/Thrustmaster
I have never dealt with .xml files and so my question is - exactly how do I do that? I see that I can 'select all' and highlight the whole file . then expected to right click/copy and paste into the thrustmaster folder
However, this did not work as the paste option was not available.
I can copy and paste to a text document and drop that in but that's not a .xml file is it? Am I supposed to use xml editor software? sorry about lack of knowledge on this. I am a user not a programmer
I am on windows 10 using Flightgear 2017.1.2.
can any kind person tell me how to drop the file into the thr thrustmaster folder please
Couchflyer

Re: thrustmaster T-Rudder .xml

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:00 pm

an xml file is simply a plain text file... it is not a document and you don't need any fancy xml editors just to copy and paste a block of xml code into a text file...

so, with that said, if you have the code that goes in T-Rudder.xml, then start a new text file in your text editor (notepad will do), paste the code into it and then SaveAs the file with the T-Rudder.xml name in the designated directory...

double check on that filename, too... i don't think rudder has two 'r' on the end as you wrote and i left off in this post...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: thrustmaster T-Rudder .xml

Postby Gijs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Welcome!

Please do note that you need a true source code editor when working with such files. Software like Word cannot be used. A very good one for Windows is Notepad++. You can download it for free from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/

After installation you can create a new blank file in Notepad++, paste the contents to it and save it as a .xml file. Make sure to also use Notepad++ whenever you're editing a xml file. It shouldn't take too long, but once you've familiarised yourself with the software it allows you to tinker with almost everything in FlightGear ;-)

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Return to Hardware