Board index FlightGear Development Scenery

New LIEO Airport/Scenery

Questions and discussion about enhancing and populating the FlightGear world.

New LIEO Airport/Scenery

Postby maxkant1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:30 pm

New Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport/scenery

Hi all, after a lot of work and fun I’m proud to present you the new Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport/scenery.
Olbia Costa Smeralda is a nice airport in northern Sardinia. It is placed at the center of the western Mediterranean, near the wonderful Costa Smeralda, and is one of the most crowded airport in Sardinia (more than 2,5 million pax/year, growing 10%/year). It is connected with a great number of airports in Europe and a lot of airlines flight there. The airport hosts a very nice terminal for general aviation and, particularly during Summer, the dedicated Apron 2 is crowded with executive-jets and BBJ.

For a quick look, please watch this short youtube movie: https://youtu.be/TTwlyOTan8Y

Package download link: http://www.github.com/maxkant1/LIEO

What you get:

• Scenery: tile 3104954 completely updated using CORINE data.
• Airport: completely updated using Bezier curves, taxyline, signs, new apron layout. Buildings include Terminal 1, Terminal 2 for General Aviation, Meridiana maintenance facility. Updated groundnet for AI flights. Ferries entering and docking in the Olbia harbor.

Known issues:

• No animated jetways (help from animated jetways gurus needed)
• Some tearing in the ground, some continuity problem along boundaries with next tiles (hopefully should disappear when inserted in general scenario – help from Terragear gurus needed)

Comments and suggestions welcome in the forum and to the following address maxkant1.fg@gmail.com

Thank you for downloading and trying, have fun!

Maxkant1
maxkant1

Re: New LIEO Airport/Scenery

Postby tonghuix » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

It's awesome!!
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix
Version: next

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Nicely done! Top work for 3d and textures. I saw the video, the building faces at night are fully iluminated but i think, as a suggestion, to get only windows and relative faces iluminated instead of the whole building, i mean to get more realism. Is it possible to upload these objects to the scenery database when ready too?

Catalanoic
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby maxkant1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Thank you Catalonic. Indeed building faces are darker in night textures, probably not enough. I was in doubt about this having some night photos of the airport showing the buildings fully illuminated.
I will improve the buildings texture in a next release and upload the object to the scenery database.

Maxkant1
maxkant1

Postby xDraconian » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am

Maxkant1,

Beautiful work. Love the models. Congratulations on a great airport project.

Suggestion: I also felt the night texturing on the buildings was too uniform. Heavily lighted is fine, but the lack of light falloff makes the buildings look like they are glowing. Adding a bit more gradient would likely increase the realism.

What do you have planned next? Further enhancing this airport, or are you already thinking of your next project?

xDraconian
xDraconian

Version: Git

Postby maxkant1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you xDraconian,
I have not planned yet, just some ideas. For example I'd like to create a new Sardinia scenery starting from scratch with terragear and using more detailed CORINE data. Or start a LIRF project to be shared with other users.
Anyway I will take care of LIEO night building texture :)

Maxkant1
maxkant1

Postby biloute974 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi, really nice job. For jetways try to contact AF2222.
I WILL send you PM later.
Intel I7 7700 - 16Gb DDR4 - Nvidia GTX970 - FG 2017.4.0 from D&C
biloute974

Callsign: U974
Version: 2016.1.0

Postby maxkant1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you very much biloute974
Maxkant1
maxkant1

Postby dany93 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi maxkant1,

Very nice work, thank you for having done it and making it available. :D

Just two remarks:

1 - You are probably under Windows (?) which does not make the difference between lower case and upper case letters.
LIEO_Cap7.ac
LIEO_Meridiana3.ac
LIEO_Meridiana2.ac
LIEO_Meridiana1.ac
LIEO_Meridiana5.ac
are not found under Linux because they are written like LIEO_meridiana1.ac or LIEO_cap7.ac (with a lower case m or c).
They are called by the xml files with upper case letters (which is consistent with most of the rest).
Changing every file name in Objects/e000n40/e009n40 for M or C like my text above is OK.
(tell me if I'm not clear enough)

2 - A building (Ramp 217 Apron 2, Terminal2 in your Video at 4:25 and 5:30) is lacking
Unless I didn't understand or didn't do something correctly.

[EDIT 22 sept 2018]
I've found it.
a) LIEO_Terminal2.ac doesn't open, would it be in Blender (which is a bad start).
For me, this is because of MATERIAL "Color B04" (with a blank space). Changing it for MATERIAL "Color_B04" solves this issue, at least in Blender.
But this is not enough to see it in FG.

b) There is a mix between lower case and upper case letters in the file names LIEO_terminal2.
The .xml is called by the .stg, then the .ac is called by the .xml. The names must be made consistent everywhere.
I've changed them for LIEO_terminal2 (as you did with LIEO_terminal1).
[/EDIT]

I also get many messages
Code: Select all
osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "generic.png"

I don't know where they come from, but that seems having no consequences.

What is the use of the LIEO.dat file? Should it be pasted and where?

Anyway, many thanks.

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Return to Scenery