Board index FlightGear Support Flying

I Just Want to Fly - Cessna 172 won't start.

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

I Just Want to Fly - Cessna 172 won't start.

Postby FFGU » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi, help please

I want practise flying, but after installing FG, the default Cessna refuses to start... I have done all theing correct thingd such priming it, switching on the magnetos & applying throttle etc. But it refuses start either manually or using the autostart function. To my mind this crazy as I have installed FG to practise flying, not to practise the startup prrocedures! What am I doing wrong. Is there a simple to use autostart function as with FSX?

Note starting the simulator plane is much harder than starting real life Cessna with a Lycoming engine
FFGU

Re: I Just Want to Fly - Cessna 172 won't start.

Postby dream_flyer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 am

Since I believe that it works for crowds of people, and since you don't provide any specific details that could give any clues on why you stand out of those successful crowds, I'd suggest that you do something. Just something, or anything, please.

I never tried FSX and don't know its "simple".

There are tutorials, both in-sim, and out: fgdata/Docs/getstart.pdf
dream_flyer

Postby wlbragg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:50 am

Hi @FFGU and welcome to the FlightGear forum.

I am one of many user/developers to touch the c172p. I am also responsible for the autostart code, both the "autostart" and "Start with engine running" choices. I don't think I have ever had anyone bring forward a "real" bug with either feature. So, as @dream_flyer pointed out, we need a little more to go on.

Please post the log file that is saved by sim. It may shed some light on this.

I can't tell you where the log is located at without knowing what system you are using.
Generally speaking it is either at /home/%username%/.fgfs/fgfs.log in Linux, or /mnt/CDrive/Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/flightgear.org/fgfs.log in Windows.

It will be helpful to know what your system specs are, the version of FlightGear you installed and where you got any aircraft your trying to fly.

Thank you for your patience and understanding that we are all volunteers working on this wonderful project in our spare time.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby FFGU » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:41 am

Hi

Thank you for the welcome :D

Since posting this message, I have found the option for start with engine running. This seems to cure the problem.

The Cessna is the default one that comes with FG & the software was downloeaded yesterday. As far as I know it's the latest non Beta version for Windows 10. I will look up the getstarted pdf.
FFGU

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:31 am

FWIW: it is also possible to have chosen an airport that is too high in altitude for the c172p... we have seen that reported before... i forget the location but it was over 17000 feet altitude, IIRC...

also on the c172p... it is very lifelike... you can easily flood the engine just like in real life... when you do, you have certain methods of flushing it and then having a go at starting it again...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:12 am

That's right, I forgot about that. The ceiling is 13,500 but you will have to adjust the mixture way before reaching that elevation. If I remember correctly we do have some automation for altitude when using the autostart, but it is limited and if you are close to or over the ceiling, it won't start automatically.
wlbragg

Postby FFGU » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 am

The airport is Cranfield UK, so only about 360 feet.

Selecting the option start with engine running seems to have cured the problem, and lets me fly.

Thanks All
FFGU

Postby wlbragg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:02 pm

Selecting the option start with engine running seems to have cured the problem, and lets me fly.

That's great, but if you get the chance to try to use the autostart again by turning off start with engine running and then using autostart again. I would be really curious what is or isn't happening. Do you remember getting a message that autostart failed to start the engine, or did it just not start without giving you a message?

One reason the c172p works as well as it does is because we track down any bugs when they pop up and try to fix them. You simply using an alternative method doesn't help the next person that has the issue. So if there is indeed an issue with the autostart we would like to get to the bottom of it.
wlbragg

Postby Sully324 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 am

I too am having this same problem. I just downloaded the game yesterday, version 2017.3.1, It's for Windows 10. I have all latest video drivers and keep my system nice and clean for gaming only. Intel Core i7-7700 @3ghz, 32GB Ram, 64-Bit OS, Using an nVidia GTX 1070, All HDD's are SSD, Saitek controls but I do not have the rudder pedals at this time. Anyways, I launch the game fine, it comes up in the Cessna on the runway, in Praha - Ruzyne (LKPR) - 19981 model Cessna 172P Skyhawk. The engine is off. I am so new to this game that I simply run the tutorial, "Start the Engine" and I cannot get the engine to start, the tutorial lady keeps saying, start the engine, I'm pressing "s" and holding it down, I can hear the engine and see the propeller but it never engages. Remember, I am in the tutorial so I have done everything she has asked to this point so I would assume I properly primed her and the fuel is mixed properly. Any suggestions on what I should do? I can start the engine by autostart, but that's no fun and wanted to learn everything, including starting the engine. Thanks for the work you do on this project, I truly appreciate it. If you need any additional information, let me know.
Sully324

Postby tonghuix » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 am

@Sully324
It seems you don't engage fuel about 1/8 inch, the easiest way is push your fuel throttle about 20% is okay. And have you prime with 2~6 strikes? The primer locates in the left-own side of the main panel, it is not easy to find.
FG Manual Chinese Translation https://github.com/tonghuix/getstart-zh
tonghuix

Callsign: CPA112
IRC name: tonghuix

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 pm

i turn the yoke off so i can see hidden things like the primer and light switches ;)

also, did you make sure the magnetos are on?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Clemtaur » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm having the same issue with engine cranking but not starting in the tutorials.. the Taxi tutorial fails to start the engine as well (engine cranks, T.voice: "I've started the engine.. now release the parking brake.." engine continues to crank..)

I did get the engine to start after the preflight tutorial finished by turning the fuel tank selector to Off (couldn't read the labels :P)
Primed.. 's's key and the engine caught.. info box[out of fuel] appeared.. and engine stalled..
restarted just fine when I set the fuel tank selector back to Both..

I'll try resetting the Tank Select while the tutorial(s) are running..

Oh. ah running Flightgear under Linux Mint 19 'Tara Cinnamon' Downloaded from the Software Centre
Clemtaur

Postby tdammers » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:51 pm

My experience in general (not just with the 172) is that autostart doesn't always work reliably. I guess that's because it's usually a script that tries to take environmental factors into account, but it's not usually perfect; and when it fails to perform a crucial step correctly, none of the ones that follow will work.

So maybe try going through the startup procedure manually and see if that works?

You may also want to try a simpler GA aircraft that is easier to start.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby wlbragg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Linux Mint 19 'Tara Cinnamon' Downloaded from the Software Centre

What version is this?

What location is the tutorial taking you to or what ICAO are you at when it fails?

My experience in general (not just with the 172) is that autostart doesn't always work reliably

In my experience with the c172p and many other aircraft that provide an autostart it is normally an altitude issue and having an incorrect mixture. Some aircraft are starting to account for this and including it in the autostart code. The newest c172p, available in fgdata-next has the mixture accounted for in the "On approach" autostart code. I totally forgot to add it to the standard autostart. Hopefully we'll get it in to the dev repository in the not to distant future.
wlbragg

Postby Clemtaur » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 am

the version is: 2018.1.1 ..and I'm now unable to reproduce the error. Had to install a couple of dependencies to get the aircraft tab on the launcher to work. (sudo apt-get install qtdeclarative5-qtquick2-plugin qml-module-qtquick-window2)

ah. the location was in the grey nowhere.. .and Honolulu airport.
Clemtaur

Next

Return to Flying