Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS has graphics problem on VMware

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS has graphics problem on VMware

Postby swroop » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 am

I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on VMware 12 on Windows 7 Home Premium. I was able to compile the code from the repository and run fgfs on Ubuntu. Everything worked fine until I restarted Ubuntu on VMware. After the restart Ubuntu complains a graphics card problem and wouldn't boot. I tried reinstalling Ubuntu all over again a couple of times, but the problem persists if fgfs is run. I am sure the problem is because of running fgfs after compilation. The VMware settings are as follows:

RAM memory: 4 GB
Video memory: 2 GB
No. of processors: 4

Please let me know what the problem might be.

Thanks,
swroop
swroop

Re: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS has graphics problem on VMware

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:12 am

there is no where near enough information given to ever try to guess... sorry :(
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby swroop » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Sorry for the trouble, I wrongly accused FGFS of creating a problem, but it turns out, there are 2 packages namely

Code: Select all
qtbase5-private-dev
qtdeclarative5-private-dev

when installed on Ubuntu, they result in problems with graphics and it wont boot anymore. This is my personal experience.. I was able to install a fresh copy of Ubuntu without installing the above mentioned packages. Now, FGFS compiles just fine and I am able to run it too. Everything is ok now... Its probably Ubuntu issue and not an FGFS issue. You can close this issue now....!!
swroop

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 pm

those are -dev packages... installing them won't/can't do anything... they are source code... they are required for compiling some programs that need the code they contain...

as for closing the issue, you can do that or just let it ride... i think there may be a button on the post with the fix that you can click to accept that as the fix... otherwise, closing the ""issue"" is simply leaving it to fade away in the posts list ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics