Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Phi US Sectionals - VFRMap.com

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Phi US Sectionals - VFRMap.com

Postby BillDent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:12 am

Hey all,

I've been away from FG for a while but now when I try to use Phi under 2017.3.1 the US VFR or IFR Sectionals from VFRMap.com don't load - just grey squares instead of map data. The other map selections still work as usual. Known issue?

Thanks,
Bill
BillDent

Re: Phi US Sectionals - VFRMap.com

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 am

zoom out a little bit? whenever i've used the sectionals, if i zoomed in too far, i got a grey overlay... zooming back out a bit gave me the actual sectional maps overlaid on the base map...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:36 am

If you are not over the continental USA, there are no sectionals available. This is unfortunate as I fly a lot in Alaska. May be your problem?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby BillDent » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Anywhere over the contiguous US, any zoom level. This is the same system I used with flightgear last summer with FG2017.2.1 and it all worked. Only change is the newer FG2017.3.1 and Firefox is v57 instead of v52. I have --httpd=8080 in the launcher. All other phi map options appear to work as they did before, just not VFRMap.com. I can try going back to 2017.2.1. I was just curious if anyone else had this happen. I can pull up VFRMap.com as a URL and it works. I did install vcredistx64 and x32 version 2017 after installing FG2017.3.1 because it wouldn't launch and the latest version on my system was 2012.

Intel i7 quad @ 2.66
12GB Ram
Nvidia 9600GT
Win7 SP1
Firefox 57.04

Thanks,
Bill
BillDent

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 pm

i was getting the sectionals over the US and Alaska... some weeks back, they didn't appear any more... i'm not using Phi as much as i was so i can't be certain when it stopped... i suspect that the server has changed something that causes Pi to no longer be able to get the sectional maps... the maintainer of Phi will have to take a look and see what's going on... i just cannot remember which one of the T(h)orstens is the maintainer so they can be pinged about this...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby curt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 pm

The chart cycle is embedded in the tile url. I believe phi is (was) using 20140918, but the site seems to be updated to 20180104. My guess is a quick url fix in phi will fix this right back up.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 pm

For that reason, the Canvas based tile map code is using a property-configurable URL - which might also make sense for the Phi implementation - even if it's just a separate PropertyList/XML file that is included, i.e. which can be easily updated in an automated fashion.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 am

we have discussion on the dev list concerning this, now... i've posted a list of the URLs that i think need to be changed... hopefully the maintainer will join us ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby BillDent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks. You are the best! I remember using the charts over Alaska as well. This program is too addictive. I have to take breaks from time to time or go to counseling. lol.
BillDent

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 pm

this would be best addressed by using a separate PropertyList/XML file that contains these defaults, and a simple Nasal script to use/adapt those as needed.
Other than that, this is -once again- highlighting the importance of a point that Thorsten has been raising on the devel list for a while: We're about to introduce more and more features that are implicitly tied to not only being always "online", but also to certain web APIs being available - which is obviously problematic, but an issue that is shared with stuff like the osgEarth mode, but also the use of TerraSync.

Speaking in general, it might be about time to introduce dedicated online/offline modes and make sure that we end up with a well-defined set of features that are supposed to be working in these modes - otherwise, it would not be far fetched to come up with a scenario where fgfs binaries may seize working, simply because some online back-end vanished (think terrasync, maperver, mp-server, catalog/package manager etc)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby deaconblues234 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:33 pm

OK, the date specification for the vfrmap.com tiles has changed again for the two files:
Phi/topics/Map.js and Phi/map/index-2.0.html.

If you're having difficulty pulling up the VFRMap.com tiles, please locate and replace 20180104 with 20180329 in those files.

There should be a total of four replacements, two in each file.

Also, be sure to clear your internet browser cache afterward. I spent the better part of 30mins on that puzzle :-).

-- Steven
deaconblues234

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:20 pm

forwarded to the dev mailing list...

thanks! :)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby racerjerry » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:36 pm

I am having the same problem as Billdent, (Jan 16, 2018) except with ALL VFRMap.com sectionals. The VFR Sectionals appear with only tiny gray squares or with one central red square, which is the airport selected. Clicking on any square opens the AFD for that airport. Anyone have a solution or workaround?

Since AIRNAV went to VFRMaps.com to depict their sectionals, I am losing a valuable resource.
Thanks for your help.

Jerry King
racerjerry

Postby milliman63 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:37 pm

It appears that perhaps the date specification has changed yet again, as of 2019-03-22. I have once again been unable to load the vfrmap.com maps in PHI. This appears to be a continuing problem; is there any way of determining what the correct/new specification is when it changes? Note I have used both the 20180104 and 20180329 specifications to no avail and do not see any information on the method that PHI is using the vfrmap.com API in their documentation.
milliman63

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:53 pm

... hopefully they are not changing it because FlightGear is pulling too much and overloading the API. Regardless thanks for the alert, hopefully it will be fixed soon.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Next

Return to Flying