Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Trying FG first time without any clue.

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Trying FG first time without any clue.

Postby CoolGames » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Our maker group has a video game adapted with special hardware to make a VR Dragon.
Last night it was suggested to use Flight Gear in place of the Unity Game so as to make it a GPL project.

I am unfamiliar with CURRENT flight and simulators but loaded from repository Flight Gear on Ubuntu Studio 17.10.
I was able also to add the FGMEMBERS/Pterosaur from GITHUB.

I started the simulator and got the Pterosaur to move although invisible.
I tried to silence the radio reports that kept looping.

Now I am back to Cessna tutorial but wonder how long it will take to fly the Pterosaur with or custom HUD system.
I am 66 tears old and flew a simulator in the 1980's.
In 2000's I was into driving simulator racer.nl.
I can be taught but need a little assistance.
I tried the tutorial but the tires are sunk in the ground and can't get past pre-flight checklist REMOVE WHEEL CHOCKS !

Are there any graphics to explain the control designs to help visualize where things are in contributed aircraft as odd as the Pterosaur ?
Last edited by CoolGames on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolGames

Version: 2017.3.1

Re: Trying FG first time without any clue.

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Now I am back to Cessna tutorial but wonder how long it will take to fly the Pterosaur with or custom HUD system.

I'm one of the authors of the Pterosaur/Dragon responsible for the wing/tail animation technique (the main author being Erik Hofman who did the flight dynamics).

For starters, you may note that what you've acquired is a forked (and possibly modified) version - the original repository is FGAddon

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... /Pterosaur

and you can download the model via FG's in-build download mechanism - we can't really know whether there's anything wrong/broken/changed in 3rd party repositories, so I suggest you stay with the original.

Having said that - I'm a bit unsure what it is you're asking - generally it's not particularly difficult to fly the dragon - you accelerate and start flapping wings (throttle up) and eventually bring the nose up. Or you just jump off a cliff, find a cloud and start soaring in a thermal - she glides rather well (it's a dragon girl...). There's also a key to fold wings for a dive if you need (the help dialog for aircraft-specific keys should list all you need).

You can press 'h' to see the FG native HUD that shows you the current control settings , attitude and altitude.

If you press 'v', you also get to see her (the idea being that pilot perspective is eye-perspective of the dragon, so she doesn't see herself).

And you need to activate 'Atmospheric Light Scattering' in the rendering settings to see wing-flap, because the GLSL magic which makes this possible is only implemented there.

I tried to silence the radio reports that kept looping.

You can simply change radio frequency in the dialog, but we probably simply should disable the instrument...
Thorsten

Postby CoolGames » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

I've done audio off setting and got dragon flying.
I am using TAB to use mouse.
I will start playing with the keyboard once I can stay airborne.
Longest run was 20 minutes over Logan but can't get anywhere else yet.

I brought up dashboard that blocks out most of full screen at 1920 x 1080..

Eventually we may have physical dragon to ride with Arduino attached for rider feedback.
I did a git clone from FGMEMBERS/Pterosaur to /home/myname/FlightGear/aircraft as per instruction.

Glad to see fast feedback although we have no schedule past once a week casual meetings.

Thanks,
Lee
CoolGames

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 am

I did a git clone from FGMEMBERS/Pterosaur to /home/myname/FlightGear/aircraft as per instruction.

Instruction by whom? Certainly not by the orginal authors of the model (none of which endorse FGMEMBERS).
Thorsten

Postby curt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi Thorsten,

I think your first message communicated your message best. It makes sense to patiently explain that using a version of an aircraft that is closest to the original author sources is usually best. People find FlightGear through many different routes and don't automatically know what is officially from flightgear versus what is not, why there are additional copies of aircraft, and are there any significant differences?

CoolGames, my advice is to download aircraft through the launcher / aircraft catalog system -- unless you have a specific reason you want a different version. FGMembers is a separate community that at times has spoken and worked against the core FlightGear project. There are some users that float back and forth between both communities and contribute in both places. It's complicated I guess. They have made their own copies of the aircraft set, they've made small mods to some of these, and pulled additional aircraft from as many different sources as possible. If the open-source world is the wild west, then fgmembers is a block or two off the main street, not always in a well lit area if you visit at night. You go there when you know what you want, but the sheriff doesn't visit too often and they run things their own way. :-)
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby swampthing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 pm

lol!
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby wlbragg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Perfectly diplomatic as well as appropriate!

Bottom line is that a new member of the FlighGear community should not think of fgmembers as part of the official offering. But that of fellow enthusiasts, as Curt said, ones who like to do things their way.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Return to Flying