Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

HUP-Retriever

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

HUP-Retriever

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 am

Merry Christmas to those of you so inclined and that also like the HUP-Retriever.

I did a little work on the "upgraded version", added a few effects and the "Cargo Hauling System".

Note the "Cargo Hauling System" is not finished nor is it completely tuned. The hitch, winch and rope are not in the correct position but they do work. I doubt the winch would have ever been added to this helicopter for lifting in this fashion and will be put to extend from the door like the Alouette-III does it. Hard Docked cargo will be removed or possibly changed to a two point attachment system. As it is now, It will more than likely cause a crash if you attempt to hard dock with a cargo.
Cargo weight is not "officially" added to the FDM.

It's a work in progress and should be considered an alpha or pre-alpha version.

https://github.com/wlbragg/HUP-Retriever
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Re: HUP-Retriever

Postby StuartC » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 pm

How do you hook the cargo? Ive ben dragging ropes all over that cub but I don't get a hitch.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby AndersG » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 pm

wlbragg wrote in Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 am:Merry Christmas to those of you so inclined and that also like the HUP-Retriever.

The hitch, winch and rope are not in the correct position but they do work. I doubt the winch would have ever been added to this helicopter for lifting in this fashion and will be put to extend from the door like the Alouette-III does it.

Nice stuff. If I remember correctly from the wiki article on the HUP the winch would extend from/through a hatch under the copilot seat, allowing single pilot/crew rescue operations.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Oh, now that makes sense. I was wondering how you could possibly use the right door to extend the winch. For one the frame was to large to move though that opening. Yes there is a door on the underside of the fuselage and it would be in-line with the winch. Perfect. I will make that happen and hook up the cargo hauling winch system to work that way.

I did try to make the existing rescue system functional but so far failed. Then again I was looking in the wrong place (the right side door) for it to be deployed.

If the fgaddon version of the HUP has a working rescue system I can look to see that all the parts are in place.

I am getting ready to push ALS interior shadows. I think It adds considerable immersion value to the sim. Unfortunately because of historic developer practices of relative positioning of objects there will be some of the more important objects not included in the effect (panel gauges). The main panel base is relative in position and thus does not match the shadow cube correctly. I have not decided if i should eliminate the effect from it or not. I could use some input on that one.

If I had any of the original blend files I could fix a lot of this stuff, but to try to get a proper blend by importing this intricate of an .ac file is time I don't have to spend. If anyone more versed in Blender import/export can put together the respective original .ac's into their decent blend versions, I could potentially correct some of these issues. I need to be able to work on a blend with all the correct texture assignments in order to be able to export like .ac's.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:35 am

OK, the "rescue" system is functional. You have to open the hatch then you can deploy the sling. It uses the same keys as I use on the "cargo hauling" winch so I need to sort this all out. I'll make it optional as to which system you want to use.

Thanks AndersG for pointing that out.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:57 pm

New update:
winch GUI and logic for "classic" or flex-rope missions

Bugs to fix and/or things todo:
flex rope interaction with hatch door
flex rope may need tuned for ground contact
cargo hauling code not cleaned-up, not optimized and not converted to pointer/class style
connect up Amelia autopilot if possible

Please report any glitches or bugs here.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm

I noticed early on that this model which is to represent a "heavy lift" helicopter is actually quite small. I brought the model into blender and it is 9.57m in length compared to the 17.37m referenced in the Wiki I think there is a major problem here.

I also checked the H21-C and it appears to be correct. Based on that I am abandoning the Hup and going to concentrate on the H21-C I think. Any comments or suggestions?
wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm

its a very old model and probably no one bothered to check it was actually the right size before.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby AndersG » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:11 pm

wlbragg wrote in Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm:I noticed early on that this model which is to represent a "heavy lift" helicopter is actually quite small. I brought the model into blender and it is 9.57m in length compared to the 17.37m referenced in the Wiki I think there is a major problem here.

Length of fuselage or overall? The 17.37m length (if correct) must include the rotors as the fuselage is less than one rotor diameter (35 ft according to wiki). Not that I have measured the model, though. The HUP was designed for compact storage on carriers and having 550 hp against 1250 - 1425 hp for the H-21 means it ought to be quite a bit smaller.
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Length of fuselage or overall?

OK, maybe that explains it. I'll take another look.
wlbragg

Postby wlbragg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:32 pm

The fuselage is approximately 31.55 ft so that fits your description somewhat.

If I add in the blades, set to their widest (longest) reach, I get approximately 17.15m or 56.26 feet which is close to what is indicated in the Wiki. So I guess that is correct. Thanks for the clarification.
wlbragg

Postby AndersG » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Btw. NACA TN 4409 contains a dimensioned 3-view of a HUP. It might be useful. Happened to have it on my phone and found it when looking for something to read while commuting...

[EDIT]
NACA TN 4409
NACA TN 4393

There may be more in the NACA archive - I was looking with a H-21 focus when I collected these.
[/EDIT]
AndersG

Return to Aircraft