Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

The game performs horribly, also can't add hangar

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

The game performs horribly, also can't add hangar

Postby DerekCZ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:47 pm

To this day I was using on my Linux laptop, and it outperformed all other simulators I had on that machine back when it had Windows, but now I have installed it onto my main Windows PC, which is multiple times more powerful than the Linux laptop, and it is horrible. First off, I can't add the official hangar. After clicking the button, it says "Please wait, downloading and checking the hangar information", and it seems like it gets stuck, because no matter how long I leave it running, nothing happens.
In the game itself, I have horrible framerates, and many weird glitches on the ground that don't appear on the Linux version. Some textures are flickering, some seem to have no texture at all so they are just a mess of graphical artifacts...
As far as I know all my drivers are up to date.
The PC is running Windows 7, specs are;
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K @ 4x4GHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX470 8GB VRAM
RAM: 8GB DDR3 HyperX Fury
FlightGear version is the latest from the website
If you have any tips, please share, thank you.
DerekCZ

Re: The game performs horribly, also can't add hangar

Postby StuartC » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:55 pm

There appears to be an issue with the default hanger for the past few days. I have been trying to manualy get aircraft from it, and its not responding.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby DerekCZ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Thank you for informing me, now I just have to figure out what is wrong with the game itself
DerekCZ

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:11 am

i'm trying to figure out why one would think that they would have to add the official hanger... since it is the default and official, the sim comes preconfigured with it already in place...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby stuart » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm

Hmmm. I hit a similar issue myself recently after installing the latest FG image on my Windows 10 PC - the default hangar wasn't pre-configured. I will investigate.

Regarding the graphics glitches, that's more surprising, and sounds like a graphics driver problem, as the card should be OK to run FG. Only thing I can suggest it to try with newer/older graphics drivers and see if that helps.

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

stuart wrote in Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:35 pm:Hmmm. I hit a similar issue myself recently after installing the latest FG image on my Windows 10 PC - the default hangar wasn't pre-configured. I will investigate.

That also applies when using the Canvas-based Aircraft Center (i.e. in non-Qt5 builds) - a number of people reported, that they first had to use the Qt5 launcher for the Canvas Aircraft Center to be functional again, i.e. to make it display any entries. To see for yourself, run the following in the Nasal Console:
Code: Select all
canvas.loadDialog("AircraftCenter");

In response to wkitty42's original report, there is also a patch that re-enables the Canvas implementation if the Qt5 launcher is not available: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=33023&p=319732
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Windows