Board index FlightGear Support Tools OpenRadar

Controlling Area's

OpenRadar is a standalone radar screen which connects to the FlightGear multiplayer servers. It is currently being developed.

Controlling Area's

Postby jestepp65 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:18 am

How can i control a Center or EN Route? Like Houston Center, Atlanta Center, Chicago Center? Is this possible or only airports?
Best Regards,
UA-1056 (Find me in the skies!)
jestepp65

Callsign: UA-1056
Version: 2017.2.1

Re: Controlling Area's

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:54 pm

It is impossible. The closest way is to launch at an airport closest to the center: eg for Scotland control maybe launch at Prestwick or Glasgow. Then you can control aircraft within 100nm of that airport.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby jestepp65 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Well, that is just stupid.
Best Regards,
UA-1056 (Find me in the skies!)
jestepp65

Callsign: UA-1056
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:26 pm

it is a flight simulator, not an area control simulator ;) ;) ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:44 am

If you want to control areas, try ATC-pie, it actually supports that explicitly, IIRC
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby Isaak » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Correct @D-Echo ;-)
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby wagnerw » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 pm

With the updated MP protocol, I am able to extend / set the radar range, extending or shortening what you see and with whom you may talk. But a wider range means also, that I need a much bigger chunk of the worldmap and display a lot more details.
In the moment I will concentrate to modernize OR that it is up to date with the changes in flightgear. I will have a look onto the new range possibilities after I have released the update.
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Postby wagnerw » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:27 pm

Update: The next version supports the MP protocol feature, to tell the multiplayer server how far you want to see. It sends you the position of all players within this range.
IMPORTANT: You will not be able to chat with contacts wider than 100NM away, because their client propably signals a range of 100NM. Those far contacts wont even see you.

To keep things organized, especially the flight strips, there is a new selector for your working range. As an airport leave it at 100NM, if you want to be an on route controller, increase your range. The flightstrip bay will include only contacts in that range.

But you can see more contacts in your radar, if you zoom out. In future the requested view range is bound to the area you see on the screen. Its max is a radius of 2000NM defined by the MP server.

You will always get the updates for your working range, plus, if you zoom out, all that are visible on your radar screen.

Please remember the quick zoom buttons F1- F4.

Seing so many contacts is nice. But without change, you get all their chats and easily loose the overview over your own contacts. So the existing small chat filter gets important: RNG shows only chat messages of contacts in your working range, ALL shows everything and SEL only the chat with the selected contact.
RNG is your friend I guess...

AND again IMPORTANT: You will not be able to chat with contacts wider than 100NM away, because their client propably signals a range of 100NM. Those far contacts wont even see you.
Mumble does not have such restrictions.
wagnerw

Callsign: D-W794

Return to OpenRadar