Board index FlightGear Support Installation

cannot get full, clean uninstall Windows 7

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

cannot get full, clean uninstall Windows 7

Postby bitFlyer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:53 pm

re: FG 2017.2.1

Greetings:

I could not find a subforum dedicated to uninstall, so I am posting here in hopes that someone will know how to advise me.

After uninstall /reboot/ reinstall, prior installation data still persists in new installation.

My uninstall/reinstall process:

1. Windows uninstaller, then reboot
2. Manually delete any leftover FG folders in c:\program files and c:\appdata
3. Manually delete any FG folders in user\appdata all three local, locallow and roaming
4. Regedit to remove any registry reference to FG in both current_user and local_machine categories.
5. reboot
6. reinstall

*I have set my system to show all folders/files. There are no hidden folders/files on my system, as far as I know*.

I cannot seem to achieve a full, clean uninstall of FG.

Reaching out in the FG forums for any available assistance.

Regards,

bitFlyer
bitFlyer

Re: cannot get full, clean uninstall Windows 7

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:27 am

why do you think you are not getting a clean uninstall? what is the problem you are trying to solve by reinstalling?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bitFlyer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi Wkitty42,

My initial problem was low frame rates. I could not remember whether I had installed new scenery for my location or instead old-world , 'world' scenery for my location. I know that scenery version has a big effect on frame rates.

So I wanted to uninstall scenery and then simply reinstall 'old world scenery'.

However, I could not tell the difference between scenery versions in my installation, I found it a bit confusing.

So that is when I decided to simply uninstall FG completely then reinstall (with no local scenery, only the stock installation scenery), with the intention of then installing old-version 'world' scenery for my location.

But after the uninstall and reinstall, I noticed that at startup, the new installation showed my previously installed aircraft and still put me at my old airport location with that airport's scenery somehow installed. That is when I realized that something from the old installation was not uninstalled, and was carried over into the new reinstall.

The 'clean' installation still somehow carried my old hangar list and old scenery which I thought I had completely removed/uninstalled/deleted.

That these settings persist is a wonderful feature in some circumstances, but in other circumstances it is a detriment.

So that is why I am trying to find out where these files are 'hidden' in the Windows 7 environment, so that I can delete them completely in order to do a truly clean, new reinstall.

thanks,

bitFlyer
bitFlyer

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:06 pm

you said that you cleaned appdata of the flightgear stuff... apparently you didn't?

in your start button or whatever it is called these days, type "%APPDATA%" in the search field and hit enter... don't put the double quotes... that should open a window with the contents of the %APPDATA% directory... in there you should find the flightgear folder... rename or delete it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bitFlyer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:10 pm

wkitty42 thank you, I will uninstall and reinstall a few cycles paying attention to %appdata% throughout the process and will post again afterwards, happy holidays.
bitflyer.
bitFlyer

Return to Installation