Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bristol Freighter Mk.31

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bristol Freighter Mk.31

Postby owenpsmith » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 pm

Yikes! It's been a year since I last posted to this thread! I was hoping to get the next release out this month but life keeps getting in the way. I'm looking at February or March now. So I thought I should post a quick update so you know this project is still making progress. Updates that I have made include:

• 3D cockpit panels and pedestal, and basic instruments and controls
  • Re-worked nose mesh and made doors clickable
  • Cargo bay windows and stringers
  • textured wheels and added spin/steering animation
  • Rembrandt support for transparencies
  • mp support
  • generic autopilot
  • Improved FDM
  • Migrated animations to use geometry object (requires 2017.2, sorry fmg)

Before the next release I will also add:

• animated rear cargo door
  • more cockpit instruments and controls

Once this is released, I will focus on external details; model details, texture mapping, paint kit, and livery support for the following release.

Owen
Aircraft: Bristol Freighter Mk.31, Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Gijs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi Owen,

nice to see you're back to continue work on this interesting aircraft. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Gijs
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby owenpsmith » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Here is a tidbit about the nose doors. It is the response I got from Paul Hawkins when I inquired about the nose door operation. Paul was the last mechanic to maintain an operational Freighter, for Hawkair, and maintained our Cessna 182 as well :-)

20 seconds would be about right to crank the nose doors open. Depends how fast one turns the handle ! (please dont ask how many turns) Opening the doors after the latches were undone was usually done by placing one foot up on one of the 45 degree stays. Put your back against the other one and push being careful not to fall out. Once the doors were moving they would continue to open on their own so one had to move briskly over to grab the vertical drive shaft connected to the winding handle gear box. By squeezing the drive shaft the doors opening speed could be slowed so the chain mechanism stops would not smash into the airframe stops. On C-FTPA when with Safe Air the engineers had fitted a piece of leather around the shaft to protect pilots soft hands or even gloves ! Closing the doors could be done by one person pushing on one door from out side. They would close with ease with out slamming together. The unwritten rule after doing that was to immediately go inside and secure the latches.

The nose doors never gave any trouble. They were well designed and built Bristol style!

Learn from the mistakes of others, only in FlightGear will you live long enough to make them all yourself.
owenpsmith

Postby fmg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:16 pm

owenpsmith wrote in Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 pm:
  • Migrated animations to use geometry object (requires 2017.2, sorry fmg)

Hi Owen,

I wanted to make a livery for it, but couldn't make the menu work. I have done this on other planes with success. No idea where it went wrong. I had also made an FDM for it. But now I'm out anyway.

Best wishes for the project.

Bye, bye...

f-(
fmg

Callsign: fotomas
Version: 2

Postby owenpsmith » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:22 pm

The next release, near the end of 2018 probably, will include a full exterior texture mapping and livery menu support. Sorry for not supporting your use of an older release, but the use of geometry objects dramatically simplifies animations and is too mush to resist.

Owen.

owenpsmith

Postby owenpsmith » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Time for an update. I have not worked too much on the Freighter for the past year as I've been focusing on initial development of the Canadair Tutor. Since my last update I have been working on some custom instruments and controls, and have animated the rear cargo door. I also made the nose doors and rear door clickable, as well as the parking brake lever and tail wheel lock switch.

Once I get the first release of the Tutor out I will return my focus to a second release of the Freighter.

In the meantime you can download my work in progress: http://flightgearcanada.altervista.org/forum_files/BristolFreighter01a.zip

and enjoy the latest screenshots:

Owen.

owenpsmith

Previous

Return to Aircraft