Board index FlightGear Support Installation

TerraSync on another drive?

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

TerraSync on another drive?

Postby zacarias » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:33 am

Hi.

Is it possible to set the TerraSync folder to another hard drive (internal or external)? I tried to do it with an external USB drive (by changing from the default /home/username/.fgfs folder to /home/username/media/harddrivepartition), but it failed to load scenery ("too much errors"). I'm trying this because I want to install a SSD from where to launch the OS and programs, but keeping a folder like TerraSync, which is write-intensive, in a HDD (possibly the original one).
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Re: TerraSync on another drive?

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am

while it is supported, it is not recommended...

--terrasync-dir=/path/to/your/other/location

then add the path to your --fg-scenery as well so that FG can find and use it when you might have terrasync turned off...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Isaak » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 am

You can also do this from within the launcher. On the settings tab, enable TerraSync and change the download location for FlightGear. E.g. to D:/FlightGear. FlightGear will create a TerraSync folder within that dir. In the Addons tab, add D:/FlightGear/TerraSync to the scenery locations and you're all set.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

i think that one changes the entire location so that everything that would be in the hidden directory is now written there... my solution is for moving only terrasync... not the downloaded aircraft folder the launcher downloads craft into... i'm not sure... i added my terrasync-dir line to the launcher's additional settings box...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Isaak » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:34 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm:i think that one changes the entire location so that everything that would be in the hidden directory is now written there...

That's correct. I actually had an issue with that, because I thought the launcher only set the Terrasync dir (asuming this because the setting is directly beneath the "download scenery automatically" setting, who reads titles and descriptions anyway :D my bad), and thus it created a TerraSync dir within the TerraSync dir I had assigned as the download location. I didn't point to this child directory, but to the parent, in the add-ons tab, which off course resulted in FlightGear not loading the scenery.

But if space is an issue on your main drive, storing the downloaded aircraft on a secondary drive isn't a bad deal, especially if you download many and/or complex aircraft.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby xcvb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm

You could create a symlink: "ln -s /home/username/media/harddrivepartition /home/username/.fgfs"
xcvb

Version: Next

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:28 pm

that symlink may or may not work... FG doesn't follow symlinks in certain areas... they may be completely blocked but i'm not sure about that... this is a security thing...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby rominet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 am

Not sure this has been mentioned, so here it is: on the command line, one can use:
Code: Select all
--download-dir=/some/path/you/chose

The corresponding directory will be updated with TerraSync data, aircraft downloads (from the built-in launcher) and possibly other things in the future. This exactly corresponds to the “download location” in the built-in launcher (Settings tab, Downloads, show more, Download location).
rominet

Callsign: F-KATS
Version: Git next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 pm

it was mentioned above, yes, but in the context of changing the option in the launcher... i showed the --terrasync-dir option which moves only the terrasync directory and leaves everything else where it is...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Installation