Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Updated DO-228, Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-Da42-VI

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Updates to DO-228, Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-

Postby iamzac » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Important bugfix update: I only tested the planes with maximum fuel so I didn't notice that two of them, Falcon-50 and to a lesser degree DO-228 became unbalanced when the fuel was low.
Both were fixed, and the other planes (including P180) were unaffected.

In addition to this I made another few fixes to Falcon-50:
-Added the fuselage effect to winglets too.
-Reenabled some of the autopilot systems I disabled because they were needed for the radar. The autopilot used is still the default one and should be controlled from the default pop up dialog.
-Changed the passenger weights from those of 777 to the correct ones. They were not originally connected to the flight model, and I won't connect them because I found out too late and am too lazy to re balance the flight model for the third time.

I hope these are the last changes I make because I am kind of tired of so many repeated flight tests and tweaks :)
iamzac

Postby wlbragg » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Are you going to push these latest changes? I didn't see them in the repo yet?
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby iamzac » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 am

wlbragg wrote in Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm:Are you going to push these latest changes? I didn't see them in the repo yet?

I won't, you can download them from the link in the first post and if anyone wants to push them you are free to do it, it's GPL after all.

I am trying to better manage my free time and if I would put them in some repo, even a personal one, I would be inclined to make more changes which would exceed what I wanted to do which was to make these planes reach my own personal bare minimum requirements for my virtual hangar.
And I thought it would be in the spirit of GPL to share these changes.
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm

New minor update:

-All of them got minor visual effects improvements
-The ones that were still using yasim current (Diamond-Da42, Do-228, Tecnam-P2006T) version where switched to yasim version 2017.2 (like the other planes I updated) to prevent future model problems if yasim will change
-Do-228: maximum speed reduced a bit through extra drag and minor sound tweaks
-Falcon-50: increased cockpit window transparency and very minor flight model tweaks
-Tecnam-P2006T: slightly increased drag and decreased engine power at low altitudes through the nasal automixture "hack". Also because it still uses too much fuel added the option to add an extra 7 gal of fuel (but it still starts with the normal maximum fuel levels) and also improved sound.
iamzac

Postby wlbragg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm

@iamzac,

I asked about updating the repos because on the first post you have links to them and I thought you were doing the updates on the repo. I see now your link to the zip farther down the page. Thank you for the clarification.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby iamzac » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 pm

New update, only to Dornier DO-228 (I should have put them in separate archives):

-Changed the ASI from the supersonic jet one to a customized version special for the DO-228
-Added visual effects to all instruments (I didn't realized I forgot until now)
-Greatly improved engine sounds, better connected with engine properties, air speed and inside or outside views
-Increased window transparency
-Smoke near engine exhaust more transparent

More images here: https://imgur.com/a/udcj2
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:45 pm

New updates:

Falcon-50:
-Covered the engines rear so that the fan blades will not be visible from behind the plane anymore
-Changed engine smoke effect: reduced it especially near the engines, connected it to engine properties, added an almost invisible hot air exhaust effect near the engines rear
-Relaxed conditions a bit for wing contrails to appear
-Parking brakes are now on initially

Tecnam-P2006T:
-Replaced the ASI with an instrument that also shows air speed numerically customized for this plane
-Improved VSI and ALT instruments texture
-Added 2 instruments for engine fuel flow and one instrument for total fuel
-Applied visual effect to all the instruments that didn't had it yet
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:23 pm

New important updates for the two piston engine planes!
Also now you can download the planes separately from the first post.

Tecnam-P2006T
-Greatly improved fuel consumption which means proper range!
I was unhappy with the previous quick hack solution so I made a new one which uses a nasal script to follow the level of the fuel in the tanks and when it decreases it adds back (or subtracts) a percentage of that difference based on a variable (consumables/fuel/fuel-flow-correction) that can be adjusted in the base settings file.
There is also an xml property rule which calculates the fuel flow to display it with the instruments.
This means that what the instruments show and what actually happens is controlled by two different methods controlled by the same variable so keep this in mind in case you want to debug or adjust settings.
Also this method is independent on the engines so it can be used on any kind of plane to decrease or increase the fuel consumption.
One side effect is that if you decrease the fuel from the sliders in the fuel menu the script will add that percentage but i see this more like a debug feature to make sure that the scripts work than a bug :)
-Optimized auto mixture and changed the fuel tanks back to the correct size now that the fuel consumption problems is solved
-Fixed the torque instrument...mostly, it's not perfectly aligned but I really dislike editing images and for this same reason there are a few other less important instruments (for me) that are not working for which I have no plans to fix them.
-More drag, less lift (these where inaccurate on purpose to help with the fuel problem) which means much more accurate flight model performance.
I followed the manual but I left a small bit of extra power and range there, because I prefer to err on this side of things :) You shouldn't keep that throttle to 100% anyway :)

Diamond-Da42
-Improvements to the flight model.
I took the automixture and fuel adjustment scripts I made for the Tecnam and used the automixture to better shape the power curve of the engine at high altitudes because the solution I used in the past to keep the fuel consumption low (underpowered engines with an added turbo) was making them too strong at high altitudes.
Also here I used the fuel script to increase instead of decrease the fuel consumption to get it closer to the real thing (it was already good but shaping that power curve reduced consumption at high altitude).
It's probably the most accurate of the flight models I made, the speeds, stall, fuel consumption are all very close to the real one, I tested the various throttle settings and weights and altitudes and sometimes I get a little faster, sometimes a little slower (usually more faster than slower) and the fuel consumption is usually a bit lower at high throttle and a bit higher at low throttle (compared to the real plane) so on average it's pretty close.
Well, I hope the other models I made are not that bad too (except that bit of optional extra performance I leave for fun purposes), especially the ATR-72-500 which was the most fun one until now.
-Made the display of fuel consumption work and adjusted the display of the power load.

Future plans for these 4 planes and the other two I updated (P180 and ATR-72-500): none.
I am mostly happy with them.
I wanted to add an yoke, pedals and seats for the Falcon-50 cockpit but I didn't found any suitable yoke plus considering that I noticed it was missing after several updates I guess it's not that important.
The DO-228 I removed from my virtual hangar because there where too many planes and in the STOL category DHC6 was the clear winner so definitely no more updates there.

So if anyone wants to backup these 6 planes somewhere now they probably reached the end of my improvements for them.
Unless I will find some bugs in future flights of course...
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Very small bug fix update to Tecnam-P2006T (one leftover dependence on P180).
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Today I found out there is another more advanced version of Diamond-Da42 that you can download somewhere at the bottom of this page: http://equipe-flightgear.forumactif.com/t650p225-developpement-du-da42
It has a much more functional zkv1000 instrument, with maps and autopilot and icing effects, engine failure, airframe failure, more 3d objects inside and outside...it even has a cool moving keychain.... it's a pretty good production level plane.
Too bad I didn't know about it when I started because the only thing that is missing are the ALS effects.
They also have other cool stuff there like: http://pattenflightgear.wifeo.com/avions.php
I was looking for the Tecnam P92 which has a much better version there than the official one.
iamzac

Re: Updated DO-228, Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-Da4

Postby iamzac » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 pm

After finding the other updated Diamond-DA42 and thinking if I should merge my changes on top of it or the other way around I decided to make a separate version that is called Diamond-DA42-VI because the models are for different versions of the plane (twin star and VI) and there are some things I like in one model and some things I like in the other and I wanted to be able to use them at the same time.

Major updates to Diamond-DA42-VI
-Add all the external new 3D objects from the other model.
-One new grey livery and updated the model name on the default green livery and the grey one. The grey one is based on the shark livery from the other model which I didn't copy entirely to leave an obvious visual difference between the two models.
-Added most of the new internal 3D objects and panel improvements from the other model but not all of them and with some changes.
-Fixed some bugs in many places (like the magnetic compass, flap lever not working, external lights not working under linux, ...).
-New procedural lights and ALS secondary lights that replace the existing ones when ALS mode is on.
-Small update to the flight model for small increase in acceleration while keeping the maximum speed and fuel consumption the same.
-And I left what I consider the most important update last: new canvas based zkv1000 glass instrument from here: https://sebmarque.hd.free.fr/git/seb/zkv1000.
This canvas version has less features than the older one on the other Diamond DA42 but because it uses canvas it doesn't have the bugs the other one has (like text visible through the fuselage or rain inside) and the other version is no longer maintained.
The new feature I find most useful is the moving map which really helps during day and especially during night VFR (well, kind of VFR) flying.
You can read further instructions on the instrument site and also instructions on how to change map sources.
The engine informations are based on a single prop model because I am not good with editing images so they show informations from only one engine to which I added torque and total fuel consumption.
-New splash images and better thumbnail.

There are also some features that I didn't get from the other version either because I failed to integrate them or because they didn't seem to worth the effort for my needs.
These are the icing system, the failures and in general the better internal engine and electric system plus other small things like the books functions.
But you can use both plane versions now that they have different names.

The new panel: Image
The new livery: Image

And more: https://imgur.com/a/VsOVa
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:33 pm

New major update for Tecnam P2006T and minor bugfix for Diamond DA42 VI:

Tecnam P2006T:
-Added a glass cockpit using the canvas zkv1000.
This glass cockpit is now the default one and from the menu you can toggle the old classic standard instruments so now you have two cockpit versions.
The instruments positions are not the same as from the official avionic option with the Garmin G1000.
-Added ALS lights and secondary lights.
-Added pedals and floor carpet.
-Hide the pilot head when in cockpit view and slightly moved the front seats, pilot and default views.

Diamond DA42 VI:
Fixed shadows on glass instruments and analog AI pitch indication.

Some pictures to show the changes for the Tecnam P2006T:

iamzac

Postby iamzac » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:35 pm

New updates to Falcon-50:

-Added yokes, pedals and cockpit seats.
-Added ALS procedural lights and secondary ALS landing lights.
-Hide pilot head when in cockpit view and adjust default views.
-Changed engine sounds to depend on inside or outside location.
-Smoke effect disabled bellow 15% throttle.
iamzac

Postby zacarias » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Great work!
FG 2017.3.1
LinuxMint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
Processor AMD A8-6600K
Graphics Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
zacarias

Postby iamzac » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 am

New update to Diamond Da42-VI:
Updated flight model, speed and fuel consumption in level flight are the same but improved acceleration and climbing abilities to be more realistic.
The model was previously underpowered because in the past to deal with too much fuel consumption I made the compromise of making the engines weaker and compensate with less drag and more lift, later I made a nasal script that fixes the fuel consumption problem but I didn't update the flight model until now, after crashing into a mountain after a stall that shouldn't have happened :)
iamzac

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft