Board index FlightGear Support Installation Windows

Set "New" Default Airport After Installation To Replace LKPR

Installing FlightGear, scenery, aircraft etc. on Windows.

Set "New" Default Airport After Installation To Replace LKPR

Postby Steve R. » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm

I principally use Linux (Ubuntu 16.04). I installed FlightGear 2017.3.1 on my Windows 10 partition to compare how FlightGear compares between the two operating systems. With the Windows 10 installation, I have not been able to replace the default airport of LKPR with a new default airport of KRMH.

It appears that Windows settings are now stored in "C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\FlightGear\flightgear.ini". I did not see any airport settings in this file. (a copy of the file is displayed below) I ran a file search and was unable to find a source file for setting an airport. I also added KRMH under "settings" -> "additional settings". While that added KRMH to the "tools" -> "view command line", FlightGear still booted into LKPR.

I was unable to find "preferences.xml" that is supposed to be located in: "C:\Documents and Settings\{Your username}\Application Data\flightgear.org\", Possibly this reference was not updated to reflect the Window's revision from XP to Windows 10.

[General]
restore-defaults-on-run=true
aircraft-cache="Text Deleted for this posting"
ratings-filter=true
only-show-installed=false
recent-aircraft=@Invalid()
recent-location-sets=@Invalid()
window-geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x2\0\0\0\0\x2*\0\0\0\xa5\0\0\x5\xa2\0\0\x3]\0\0\x2\x32\0\0\0\xc4\0\0\x5\x9a\0\0\x3U\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\a\x80)
extra-args=

[mpSettings]
mp-server=
enableMP=false
callSign=
mpCustomServer=

[timeSettings]
customTime=@DateTime(\0\0\0\x10\0\0\0\0\0\0%hY\0\0\0\0\0)
customTimeIsGMT=false

[weatherSettings]
fetchMetar=true
customMETAR=

[generalSettings]
startPaused=false
autoCoordination=false
showConsoleWin=false

[downloadSettings]
terrasync=false
downloadDir=

[viewSettings]
fullscreen=false
Steve R.

Re: Set "New" Default Airport After Installation To Replace

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Steve R. wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm:I principally use Linux (Ubuntu 16.04). I installed FlightGear 2017.3.1 on my Windows 10 partition to compare how FlightGear compares between the two operating systems. With the Windows 10 installation, I have not been able to replace the default airport of LKPR with a new default airport of KRMH.

what default is that? i don' t think there's been a release of FG with that as a default airport...

Steve R. wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm:It appears that Windows settings are now stored in "C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Roaming\flightgear.org\FlightGear\flightgear.ini".

those are only the settings for the launcher...

Steve R. wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm:I did not see any airport settings in this file. (a copy of the file is displayed below) I ran a file search and was unable to find a source file for setting an airport. I also added KRMH under "settings" -> "additional settings". While that added KRMH to the "tools" -> "view command line", FlightGear still booted into LKPR.

is there something wrong with using the "Location" tab on the left side of the launcher? select your airport and parking space there... select your aircraft in the aircraft tab above location... click fly and go... use the proper exit method (eg: NOT the 'x' in the top right corner) and the launcher will retain those settings so you can fly the same craft from the same parking space at the same airport any time you load the sim... from the overview tab (at the top left of the launcher) you can easily select previous craft or locations...

Steve R. wrote in Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:42 pm:I was unable to find "preferences.xml" that is supposed to be located in: "C:\Documents and Settings\{Your username}\Application Data\flightgear.org\", Possibly this reference was not updated to reflect the Window's revision from XP to Windows 10.

no, it was renamed to defaults.xml because that's more in line with its job... but you really should not be editing that file... never really should have at all but heck, we still have folks putting their additional craft in FGData instead of in their own private directory and point FG to it... so anyway, use the command line options or the additional settings in the launcher... in the launcher, some things are going to be slightly restricted because the launcher needs to know about them when it starts instead of afterward... that's why you specifying the airport didn't work... you need to select it in the launcher... you can also use the existing .fgfsrc or fgfsrc files just like always... the launcher won't use them but one doesn't have to start with the launcher if one doesn't want to... it just makes things a bit easier...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: Set "New" Default Airport After Installation To Replace

Postby Steve R. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks for the response. The problem of setting a new default airport was the result of me not knowing the purpose of the "back" tab under "location". Once I clicked on it, I realized what needed to be done.

I also had a congruence of of unfortunate "issues" while I was experimenting with how to set a new default airport. Microsoft issued new updates to Windows and evidently the update for the video driver failed. That resulted in FlightGear not responding properly. Please see the post at the end of this sentence for the solution, should anyone have a similar problem: White screen upon load. Rolling back the driver resolved the problem.

Since I don't use the Windows partition much, my Windows Nvidia programs were way out of date even though they worked. Updating the Windows Nvidia programs and the driver directly from Nvidia also resolved the "[i]white screen[/i]" problem. So the current Nvidia (at the time of this posting) driver works.
Steve R.

Return to Windows