Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

Wiki translation challenge for the default FG aircraft!

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

Re: Wiki translation challenge for the default FG aircraft!

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm

I started to translate pages of the translation requests page to catalan. Adding some interwikis (previous word for language links on wikipedia) on russian, chinese and japanese translated pages (curiously not thai language) is impossible because a software bug when clicking "edit" button.
We don't have actually a wikidata service (check on google or wikipedia) for our wiki to add automagically data on-the-fly not just language links also all automated data nice to see on templates, but also on main article content. Take into consideration to add it if wiki goes bigger with more languages and articles as community is language open and free like Wikipedia and other free open source projects do.
PS: If you guys, the english-speakers involved on the wiki can standarize and polish articles to be able a better translation to other major and minor languages over the world and add template Update translation on the talk page or some section to know if the article is ready and complete to translate, of course there will be updates but adding some code to the template we can add an ocult category to check it for translators. Just to make wiki work more easy and automatic like other wiki projects..
Catalanoic

Callsign: Catalanoic
Version: 2017.3

Postby Thorsten » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:37 pm

I can't help but wonder if our efforts would not better be directed at creating good, concise and up-to-date documentation in one language rather than doing translations of a state which imo is neither.

Though it may or may not be the same crowd having to shoulder the work.
Thorsten

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Of course, this isn't the thema here, but FG community is well-known to be of non native English speakers and some sort of basic support is basic like menu and manual translations. I think most of young users can understand basic english but older may not be the case.
PS: I strongly request of polishing and improve of main articles, help, installation, aircraft, airports, etc. and we can have a nice ground to translate to our desired and all day languages.
Catalanoic

Postby bugman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 pm

I think that the core articles listed in the translation requests wiki page are a worthy cause for translation. But like anything open source - telling people what they should do or what they should work on is like herding cats ;) Wiki contributors work on what ever interests them. For a number, that is providing decent translations of a lot of the content (German and French for example). I'm sure there are plenty of FlightGear users out there that have poor English skills, or cannot even understand the language.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby bugman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 pm

@Catalanoic: For Catalan translations, you point to translated articles using not:

Code: Select all
[[ca/aeronau|aeronau]]

but:

[[:ca:aeronau|aeronau]]

If the article is not translated yet though, you should temporarily use:

[[aircraft|aeronau]]

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:56 am

Thanks, i'll correct that
Catalanoic

Postby bugman » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Note that the {{BeingTranslated}} template can also be translated. This information box translated to the language being translated might be of benefit for those with poor English skills.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 am

Nice, it will be nice to have template:infobox airport translatable, using "lang switch"?
Catalanoic

Postby bugman » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 am

I never got to that template. Looking at the recent wiki activity, I think you should be capable of mimicking the other templates in using {{LangSwitch}}. I can quickly clean up if you need. If not confident, create a sandbox page such as http://wiki.flightgear.org/User:Catalan ... ox_airport for testing.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:04 am

There's a hundred of pages using that template, like Template Infobox aircraft, it can be translated. I'll take a look
Catalanoic

Postby bugman » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 am

Note that I have completely changed how the translation progress table is formatted to use compact progress bars:

Please update this table using only this format. I have also added Arabic language support to the table.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby bugman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 am

I have updated the Translation requests wiki article (permalink). Now all of the languages listed on the main page are included.

Note, thanks to dot_sent finding a clever workaround to the non-latin character SQL database bug I have added the following warning text to the article:

There is currently a SQL database bug that prevents non-latin characters from being in the page title. If you edit the page, you will see "A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software.". If you encounter this, please switch to mobile view to edit the page (see the links at the bottom of the page).

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby dot_sent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 pm

Looks like I've joined this challenge without knowing about it :) A few days ago I've translated Cessna 172P, Info and infobox aircraft to Russian just because I saw them missing. I'll now take a look at and try translating the other templates to Russian as well.

Also, warning for the future translators. Please keep in mind that some aviation terms might have different meanings in different languages if translated literally! For example, "True altitude" is defined as "Height AMSL", while the corresponding Russian term means "Height AGL" in Russian aviation literature.
Best regards,
Dot_sent
dot_sent

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby dot_sent » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

As far as I can tell, Cessna and all the templates are translated to Russian properly. Now off I go on the quest for other pages!
Best regards,
Dot_sent
dot_sent

Version: 2017.3.1

Postby bugman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Cheers! Though I still see a bit of English text, so it's not quite done ;)

• Civil utility aircraft
  • Cessna
  • Advanced production
  • This is the default FlightGear aircraft and is distributed as part of the base package.
  • Civilian aircraft
  • Military aircraft

I'll give you hints if you cannot work out where these should be changed.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

PreviousNext

Return to The FlightGear project