Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Bristol Scout type D

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Re: Bristol Scout type D

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:04 pm

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:55 pm:I took it for a flight, and apart from the "b" key cutting off the engine but not turning it on again (I understood it was a blip / coupe switch, not a turn magnetos off completely switch?) it was great! I flew it at BGBW yesterday, with fifty knot winds... took off with no engine and was still climbing :)

Did you first mouse click the upper edge of the two mag switches to turn them on? The coupe function works best with a joystick but you can alternately use the "b', comma or period keys.

P.S. there very few older aircraft that can be safely ground operated with 50 knot winds, most WWI squadrons would suspend operations when the surface winds got higher than 15 knots.
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:15 pm

I did try using the b / comma / period keys, but it only appeared to cut the magnetos off without turning them on. I'll try that :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Writing up a help file might confuse users more, but I'm trying to provide the experience of how a real aero rotary-recip engine functions. The real ones you don't have the ability to run less than 50% throttle as there's not enough fuel-air volume to carry the castor oil into the engine internals. and you lose engine lubrication and what happens when your engine runs out of oil?

The upshot is reduce throttle to 50% and use the coupe switch to 'throttle' the engine more. Sort of like an on-off duty cycle. the engine and propeller mass will sort of even out the rpm fluctuations.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:04 pm

I see. Thanks! That will help :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Previous

Return to Aircraft