Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Parkings not displayed when selecting location

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Parkings not displayed when selecting location

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:49 pm

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:38 pm:I said the launcher not FGRun. So we are talking about the same launcher.

ok, i just wanted to be sure that we were on the same page because your words seemed to (keep) saying that you were not seeing the parking in the launcher... i wanted to be sure that you weren't using FGRun because that is one of several other programs that used to be called "the launcher" for flightgear...

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:38 pm:I replaced all the custom scenery with FG Scenery and the parkings are now showing up in the launcher when choosing an airport.

excellent... it is weird that that would be a problem, though...

bob755 wrote in Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:38 pm:I've noticed that sometimes they are not displayed on the airport chart when searching for an airport from the menu Location-> Select Airport menu in FG.

yeah, i've noticed that a few times, too... in my experience, zooming in and out seems to fix it but i rarely use the in-sim location changer... i generally exit the sim completely and then reload it... i do it this way because it helps to flush memory used by the sim... when i have the sim running for days, it becomes important to do this because of how some areas of the sim are managed and continually consume RAM (eg: AI craft keep adding "type=AI" each time the record is used for another AI craft and turning off the AI craft doesn't dump and remove all the /ai/models/aircraft* records)...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby bob755 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:31 am

The parkings are not very accurate anyway so I have developed method for starting FG with the plane exactly in the correct position at a gate for a given airport.
I usually want to start from the same gate I just want a windows shortcut for each airport to start FG with the plane at the gate, so this is the method I've just developed this evening:

- Go to the airport and taxi to the chosen gate.
- Put the plane exactly at the required position. Sometimes I use the pusback to align the plane
- I have written a small Python script that reads the longitude, latitude and heading internal properties and outputs them in the correct format for the command line arguments.
E.g. --lon=-0.1781950907 --lat=51.15616542 --heading=348.7543105

- Copy/Past the standard shortcut that runs FG and past the above text in the Target field of the shortcut.

I now have a collection of shortcuts for different airports that launch FG with the plane at the parking stand.
bob755

Postby bob755 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:56 am

If anyone is interested in the Python script, send MP
bob755

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 am

- Copy/Past the standard shortcut that runs FG and past the above text in the Target field of the shortcut.

Or you can just type it into the standard launcher (either via the setting arguments, or according to James even typing the numbers into the search mask ought to work) - much less awkward.

Also, you can just have a Nasal snippet output that information (even into a file if you like) - no need to tinker with Python at all.

Or you could just make a small script to auto-save your last location information and resume it - so no need to tinker with commandlines at all.
Thorsten

Postby bob755 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:43 pm

Also, you can just have a Nasal snippet output that information (even into a file if you like) - no need to tinker with Python at all

Ok but I'm not familiar with Nasal and I already had I python script that reads properties so it was the quickest solution for me.
bob755

Previous

Return to Flying