Board index FlightGear Support Installation

Command line intermittent failures

Need help getting up and running? Installing FlightGear, add-on planes, sceneries etc.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?

Please, also see Requesting Technical Help.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Command line intermittent failures

Postby neilds37 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:24 pm

1. Start the HUD
2. No HUD 3d
3. Clear visibility
4. Start at a specified lon/lat.
5. Save custom locations.

I was able to accomplish all of these with the command line...but not consistently. Hence the title I used.
With the previous launcher all of these could be accomplished consistently by checking/un-checking a tick box or completing a text fill-in box.
neilds37

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Then you're probably kidding yourself, because what HUD does (or not) is in the end up to the aircraft and if the aircraft has its own definitions, you can pass whatever options you want with whatever launcher you want and they'll be ignored.

Same with visibility and weather options - most more advanced weather options do not allow you to 'just' set visibility on startup (in fact, AW doesn't allow you to set visibility at all).

So no, these could not be accomplished consistently for a long, not with the commandline and not with a launcher. Maybe all the way back in FG 0.9.1, but certainly not for the last few years.

--lat and --lon on the other hand works perfectly fine with the Qt-launcher - many people use that frequently.
Thorsten

Postby neilds37 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Your experience with the commands is different from mine. And no, --lat and --lon DO NOT work perfectly fine!!!
neilds37

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:03 pm

actually, just referring to the first post, if you are seeing different behavior depending on whether you have previously changed certain settings, that might be plausible if the launcher deals differently with the archived settings - to see for yourself if that's the case, navigate to your $FG_HOME directory (refer to the wiki for details), and rename the .fgfsrc file to be found there. If you are right, there /might/ be a bug related to dealing with pre-stored settings versus those not yet archived. If that's the case, you'd probably want to post a more detailed bug report or preferably use the issue tracker (see the top of the forum).

For the record, the built-in Qt5 launcher has been under active development for the last couple of years, and that is still ongoing - so it isn't necessarily "stable" or "bug-free". If in doubt, please do get in touch via the issue tracker and/or devel mailing list to provide more specific information there.

PS: bold terms are useful search terms for the wiki
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 pm

neilds37 wrote in Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:02 pm:Your experience with the commands is different from mine. And no, --lat and --lon DO NOT work perfectly fine!!!

I guess at this point, it might make more sense to exactly share with us what you are doing and what is happening, versus what you are expecting to happen.
I am suggesting to do so, primarily for the reason that we cannot know exactly what you are doing or what is broken for you.

For instance, there are a number of command line arguments in FlightGear that are basically mutually-incompatible, without that necessarily being obvious to most people.
And depending on what else you are telling the launcher/fgfs to do, it may actually ignore certain settings, because others take precedence, or are processed at a later/earlier time.

This is not suggesting that you are doing something wrong on your end, but rather that the way FlightGear does command line processing is rather static and at times even rather "dumb".

If in doubt, it may actually be helpful to also share your fgfs.log file.

If however you can reproduce that the same startup settings are working perfectly fine when NOT using the launcher, and ideally, when using a different launcher (fgrun, fgx etc), that would actually be helpful in trying to nail down the real problem.

Sorry if it seems that we're asking stupid questions - but you could also create a handful of screenshots and/or post a link to a youtube video illustrating the problem.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby neilds37 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Hooray, I've thought of several more things to try and get to the root of my problems - a matter of eliminating any inconsistencies on my part. This may take some time, and may not get done today, but I will get back.
Cheers, Neil
neilds37

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:24 pm

If the problem is indeed due to the built-in launcher, that should be easy to check - just by trying different launchers (including the command line itself) using IDENTICAL settings, and comparing the fgfs.log file in $FG_HOME - if in doubt, deleting/resetting (renaming) autosave.xml

Doing so should provide sufficient information to get to the root if the problem and tell for sure if your hypothesis is correct or if the problem is elsewhere, e.g. due to wrong assumptions in the light of conflicting startup options.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby neilds37 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:43 am

I believe my problem was in using variable entry means. I had made the entries using both the top-line number keys and the numberpad. I did everything over using only the top-line numerals Including the "--", and the following performed perfectly in "Additional Settings" with several different aircraft and the UFO, except "--enable-save-on-exit". However, nothing works using "system.fgfsrc" in the FG_ROOT directory.
--lon=-117.535281, --lat=47.624716, --heading=110 ::Spokane International
--enable-hud
--disable-hud-3d
--visibility-miles=100
--fog-disable
--enable-fuel-freeze
--enable-ai-models
--enable-auto-coordination
--enable-save-on-exit

::--lon=-114.013140, --lat=51.131929, --heading=153 ::Calgary
neilds37

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:08 am

And no, --lat and --lon DO NOT work perfectly fine!!!

This may or may not surprise you, but the first thing we usually do when taking a bug report is to see whether we can reproduce it.

In the event, I rather frequently use --lat and --lon to select a position in orbit or the Shuttle launchpad position, I've used it on FSWeekend to have a helicopter initialized at the bottom of Grand Canyon, I use it to init the ufo over various bits of scenery I want to watch - and I know many people do likewise and I have never seen any problems or heard of any.

So at this point the overwhelming evidence suggests that the parameters do in fact work perfectly fine and there's something you are doing in a peculiar way.

You can dismiss this conclusion and insist that the parameters do not work, which leads to the outcome that your bug report is dropped as 'tested, not reproducible', or you can try to identify what you might be doing in a non-standard way.
Thorsten

Postby neilds37 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:14 pm

Sorry, Thorsten. I guess you missed my response to Hooray on the result of my last procedure check. Yes, it was something I was doing that was the problem. I had forgotten that the numeric keypad is not accepted in some of FG's entry boxes, and I had made my entries using one or the other, or both the numeric and qwerty keys. Using only the qwerty keys resulted in everything working as it should.
Cheers, Neil
Last edited by Gijs on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please only quote sparsely. Quoting the entire post directly in front of yours is unnecessary.
neilds37

Previous

Return to Installation