Board index FlightGear Development Effects and shaders

Glass

An exciting "new" option in FlightGear, that includes reflections, lightmaps, the particle system etc.. A lot is yet to be discovered/implemented!

Re: Glass

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 am

There's a separate flag to switch on rain splashes for model-combined-deferred.eff which you can set for that purpose. The raindrops visualized that way will match what you see on e.g. the runway (they're more coarse, because usually you see outside views from farther away).
Thorsten

Postby StuartC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:25 am

ok, so how or where do I turn that on ?
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 am

Add

Code: Select all
       <rain-enabled>1</rain-enabled>

into the parameters section of reflectglass-uber.eff.

(when testing, note that exterior splash visibility is driven by environment wetness and rain norm - while rain norm increases wetness over time, you won't see much initially, so you can always crank up the wetness slider in the environment menu to immediately get the visuals)
Thorsten

Postby StuartC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am

I turned off the

<effect>
<inherits-from>Effects/glass</inherits-from>
<object-name>rightdoor-glass</object-name>
<object-name>leftdoor-glass</object-name>
<object-name>canopy</object-name>
</effect>

and used the reflectglass-uber.eff with the line <rain-enabled>1</rain-enabled> inseeted in to the parameters part, but no rain splash visible externally, although the reflection is working.
StuartC

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 am

when testing, note that exterior splash visibility is driven by environment wetness and rain norm - while rain norm increases wetness over time, you won't see much initially, so you can always crank up the wetness slider in the environment menu to immediately get the visuals

Look onto the runway, when you see splashes there, they'll also appear on the plane. You need to look under the right angles - rain drops aren't overly pronounced when you don't happen to look through them.
Thorsten

Postby StuartC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Viewed internally now, the raindrops can be seen, but are completely static, No drops actually landing on the glass.

P.S. how do you stop it raining inside ? m seats are getting wet and soggy. I have this in the environment tags in the set file, but it doesn't appear to do anything

<precipitation-control>
<clip-distance type="double">0.75</clip-distance>
</precipitation-control>
StuartC

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Viewed internally now, the raindrops can be seen, but are completely static, No drops actually landing on the glass.

Set the correct splash vector as described in the documentation - in the event, you likely at least need to reverse its sign.
Thorsten

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:06 pm

check the c172p... it seems to show the raindrops on the glass from inside and outside... maybe they switch the effect load when the view changes? i dunno but that was my first thought...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 pm

I wish my memory was a bit more sound. I did the rain effects in the c172p and I know there was an unforeseen twist to it. It didn't work the way I thought it should. There was also an issue that if it were set up a certain way (probably the expected way) that you could no longer see the eternal falling rain effect (not to be confused with the drops on the fuselage). In the end maybe it ended up being correctly laid out (as in the way the instructions dictate) but I am not sure of that.
Yes, I would look closely at what I did to get it all working together. It may help. Then again, Thorsten wrote the framework, so he should know best what to do, especially if he can remember past yesterday.
The Cub had some of the same issues and it was based off the c172p. I also remember having an issue with reflection and fog behaving appropriately in the Cub. I had a workaround for that that I didn't think matched the documentation.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:48 pm

I think the first surface I tested this with was sort of peculiar (might have been a double-sided surface). I've found that I usually need to reverse splash vec from the default when I actually consciously design a single-sided inward surface.

Since this is no problem since we usually want dynamical splash vectors anyway, I just go ahead and try to set /environment/aircraft-effects/splash-x (y,z) with the property browser to see what I need in each case.
Thorsten

Postby StuartC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Done a quick video to show you what I'm seeing,

StuartC

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:48 pm

This is what the PA-18 looks like, inside and out. I think the video shows the exterior rain on fuselage better than in the sim. It shows up better at certain angles. It also looks like at some you can't see it at all.

wlbragg

Postby StuartC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:01 pm

See, my main canopy isn't getting new rain on it, like your side windows. I cant figure out whu.
StuartC

Postby wlbragg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm

I think it is the splash vector, it needs to be adjusted slightly. It changes the drop pattern and behavior I think. Also the cub and c172p use the two variations of the rain effect per front or top glass verses side glass.
Last edited by wlbragg on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlbragg

Postby Thorsten » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Probably because there's an inconsisteny in where the normals are pointing between main canopy and side windows so that the same splash vector registers as 'from above' for the one and 'from below' for the other.

For some reason, many 3d modelers don't really pay too much attention to normals on their glass :mrgreen:
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Effects and shaders