Board index Other Forum

Banning of Bomber and usairways231 (was Discord).

Questions about the forum itself, suggestions or issues with the forum software.

Re: Discord

Postby Octal450 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:04 pm

Apologies, I posted that in the wrong thread. :oops:

Please disregard it, there is no arguing here.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Re: Banning of Bomber and usairways231 (was Discord).

Postby bugman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:35 pm

I have split these posts off from the topic:

As detailed above, the long time forum member Bomber has been banned. As the conversation has jumped topics, the final straw and reason for the banning is the post:

The new forum user usairways231 has also been banned for repetitive and aggressive trolling. Such behaviour is not tolerated here.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby stuart » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 pm

bo105 has also been banned for one week for profanity and threats.

Regards,

-Stuart (the mod)
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:27 pm

+1, good.
Would advise that Curt compare the IP adresses...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby bugman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm

The moderators and admins also have the tools to see that bo105 and usairways231 are the same person.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby Clive2670 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Good to hear Edward, No doubt "he" will return under a different guise very soon!! As we all know from various places on the net trolls do not like being "normal" and thrive on stirring people up!! Thanks to all you mod's for all of your hard work
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby Hooray » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:33 pm

bugman wrote in Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:29 pm:The moderators and admins also have the tools to see that bo105 and usairways231 are the same person.

Honestly, we've had the same discussion elsewhere, such claims really only show that we are deluding ourselves here - what is provided by phpBB in the form of "tools" to do any such "detective work" is at best pathetic - and IP-based lookups in particular are hardly reliable. Realistically, it is impossible for this forum to reliably identify, let alone BAN, someone purely based on using IP-based information (which isn't to say that certain conclusions fit into the bigger picture, i.e. may make sense -but that is hardly reliable information).

Purely on technical grounds, the people who got "banned" here could get a fresh account within 5 seconds and continue to post here for another couple of years - the only thing that prevents them from not being "detected" as such is their lack of control concerning their mentaility, attitude and overall behavior - otherwise, there is really no technical reason why "banning" (whatever the timeframe) should work.

As long as people are willing to part with their accounts/nick names, there's hardly any punishment being done here, because new accounts are cheap.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Octal450 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Don't give them any ideas.....
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations

Octal450

Postby curt » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 pm

I am just talking hypothetically and ignoring all the practical and political implications: it could be interesting to charge $0.01 USD via paypal to register on the forum which would then be immediately refunded. This would tie every user account on the forum to a vetted identity. It would make it impractical to create fake identities and register them. Bonus, every time you use a swear word on the forum, $0.25 USD is subtracted from your paypal account automatically and placed in a big virtual jar on the mantel for some future family vacation or emergency. Downside, people without paypal, or without a friend who has paypal would be out of luck. Hmmm.... Of course I'm not seriously proposing this, don't nobody panic. :-)
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Octal450 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:07 pm

AHHH OH NOOOO How will I ever re-register myself[/joking]

:P

Kind Regards,
josh

Octal450

Postby Hooray » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 pm

In general, just asking for a $ 0.01 PayPal deposit that is immediately refunded sounds interesting - but PayPal accounts are a dime a dozen, it's a common thing in some internet circles actually to trade even "verified" accounts.
It's still an interesting idea to ensurre that there is an actual barrier to entry to hold people accountable in /some/ way - because it may actually work for 99% of the users.
But it's not like the underlying problem is specific to the forum - the devel list has basically seen the debates, and even the same people causing quite a bit of chaos.
If you want "them" to panic, simply make it a paid/PayPal-verified multiplayer service charging $ 0.01 US - because that's what the majority of the non-contributing users truly care about after all: multiplayer :-)
And it's one of those things that tends to cause most conflicts (see Jomo's retirement posting) - besides, it would address the long-standing feature request of providing a login/user-authentication scheme
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Isaak » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am

I don' think adding a Paypal-system is a good idea. The philosophy of FlightGear is to provide a free (open & gratis) flight simulation environment. I think many people who a) want to try FlightGear for the first time and b) don't have a PayPal account, will get scared and leave the community. I think such a system would do more harm to the community than those few idiots who like to troll around. But if we can find some way to shut them up, I 'm welcoming it.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby Clive2670 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:19 pm

BEL ISAAK wrote in Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am:I don' think adding a Paypal-system is a good idea. The philosophy of FlightGear is to provide a free (open & gratis) flight simulation environment. I think many people who a) want to try FlightGear for the first time and b) don't have a PayPal account, will get scared and leave the community. I think such a system would do more harm to the community than those few idiots who like to troll around. But if we can find some way to shut them up, I 'm welcoming it.

I do agree, as if there is a refundable PayPal system it will discourage people from at least trying Flightgear. Like you say there will always be trolls and some of them would be quite willing to pay for the privledge of still trolling!!! I think it up to "us" as a community to "keep an eye out" for such people / posts and do our bit on the forum, as the mod's can't have eyes everywhere!!! If we suspect a troll just report the post for the mod's to investigate....after all, it's OUR forum and we can't expect the few moderators there are to be expected to Police all the members and posts everyday and spot potential bad posts and trolls!!! So come on guys let's all pull together on this issue and help the (hard working) moderators to make their life a little easier!!! :D
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby swampthing » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:27 pm

First you would have to create a paypal account, which I would never do as I would never give one red cent to that company.
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

Postby swampthing » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:02 pm

I have discord and not had any problems with it "infecting" my laptop.....Can anyone tell me what "usairways231"s problem is please? Can't usairways231 be banned for abusive messages to pinto? I noticed "he"only joined on the 25/09/17 and is upseeting the community already!!!

Let it be known that pinto is my friend but the above message is complete shite! How do thing is this forum come to this? I see ban request on a whim all of the time. Some of you people need to really grow thicker skin. Nothing is being upseeted. Nothing but a very young troll. People ask questions that actually matter and don't even get the slightest reply but this is what is gravitated to. What is the point? So who is better, the troll or the guy complaining about the troll?
www.opredflag.com
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. -Thomas Jefferson-
swampthing

Callsign: swamp
Version: 2018.2

PreviousNext

Return to Forum