Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

Updated DO-228, Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-Da42-VI

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

Updated DO-228, Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-Da42-VI

Postby iamzac » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 pm

In the last few days I made some small quick improvements to 4 existing planes:

All of them got ALS shiny reflective skin, ALS glass rain effect, ALS internal shadows and ALS internal reflections.
The ALS shiny skin effect alone looks like a major improvement visually.
The internal shadows and internal reflections are based on the stock Cessna 172p so they are not correct but they look better than nothing.

The Tecnam P2006T also got an updated flight model.
The current one was very wrong for example it had 2944 lbs of fuel instead of 320 so only the fuel was more than its maximum takeoff weight (2,601), and it had various wrong data to compensate this (and still it was very sluggish) so I basically had to change the flight model almost completely.
Now it has proper cruise speed, weight, proper fuel consumption and generally more accurate data.
I also added an auto mixture nasal script to get the proper fuel consumption at about 10000 feet and 135kt (cruise speed).

The Dornier Do 228 got seats I took from the Tecnam both for the passengers and for the crew, and also an extra view for the passengers.
I also modified the flight model, I gave it more power and proper fuel capacity (this time it had not enough) and tested it so it can take off from VNLK and it can fly with the proper cruise speed as listed from wikipedia.
I didn't test the fuel consumption though.

The Dassault Falcon 50 got improved performance and much more fuel because it had way to little (3750 lbs instead of 15520 lbs).
I might had made it slightly faster and more economical than the real one but that's because I was looking for Falcon 7X so I tried to make it a bit of Falcon 50+.
I also removed the afterburner like flames because they looked wrong.
I tried to fix a bug that makes 2 instruments visible through the fuselage but I didn't found a solution yet and i don't have time now to keep looking,

The Diamond DA42-VI is the one I previously modified here: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29284 and I fixed some small bugs that made the effects not work under Linux and also improved the skin effect.
I don't remember if I fixed the fuel consumption last time I updated it, if not the nasal script I added to tecnam for auto mixture might help but I have no time to make further tests now.
In the fgmembers there are a large number of further modifications but the modified version seems to not have fully working effects and I don't have time to go through all those changes and do a proper merge, I only merged an ALS light.

You can download the updated versions here:
Diamond-Da42-VI - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru7ybi1d6jmys2w/Diamond-Da42-VIR14.zip?dl=1 (last update 8 December 2018)
Tecnam-P2006T - https://www.dropbox.com/s/9teu1iv3eaf0iwa/Tecnam-P2006TR13.zip?dl=1 (last update 8 December 2018)
Falcon-50 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxlml3xb238bfbj/Falcon-50R11.zip?dl=1 (last update 8 December 2018)
DO-228 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4165dzhe3mjharo/DO-228R9.zip?dl=0 (last update 17 November 2017)

Some time in the future that dropbox link might stop working because I don't have space to host much there.
I don't have enough time to merge them at the proper repositories and to fix other things but I thought to share the changes, maybe someone would find them useful.
Last edited by iamzac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 am, edited 19 times in total.
iamzac

Re: Updates to DO-228, Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi iamzac,
great contributions you did there!
I had a fun time testing them :D
If it's okay for you, I'd apply some more improvements to some of them (especially the P2006T) and send them to Emmanuel afterwards :D

A note for the Falcon 50: I think it still has a bit much particles from the engines: Image
About the displays, this is an OSG Text problem, but it can more or less easily be fixed by replacing the nav displays with canvas ones.

Regards and thanks
D-ECHO
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:38 pm

That aircraft would be great at an airshow!
Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:39 pm

lol
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)

Postby iamzac » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:10 am

D-ECHO wrote in Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:09 pm:A note for the Falcon 50: I think it still has a bit much particles from the engines
About the displays, this is an OSG Text problem, but it can more or less easily be fixed by replacing the nav displays with canvas ones.

I made some small updates and edited the link from the original post to point to the new version.

Falcon-50 and DO-228: I changed the smoke that you mentioned, it only appeared above 3000ft so that's why I didn't noticed it with the Falcon-50.
Tecnam P2006T: I replaced the speed indicator with the one from ec135 (the original was broken) and also added the yokes back (that was my mistake).

I tried again to fix the display being visible through the fuselage problem, I looked at the A340-600HGW which has the same instrument without the problem and indeed they are using canvas and nasal code but that's too much for me to fix now because I don't have that much time.
The problem seems to be located inside the file Falcon-50/Models/Interior/Panel/Instruments/EFIS/MFD/ND.xml where the two <panel> are added, if I remove everything else in the file except the panel elements (or everything in the files referenced in the panel elements) the problem still appears (showing white squares) but if I remove the panel elements it goes away.
Maybe there is some biding possible to hide them when the view is from outside or some nasal method but I couldn't find it, I tried adding conditions to the panel elements but they are ignored.
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm

I just uploaded a third update, the new link is in the original post.

I solved the problem with the Falcon-50 instruments that where visible through the fuselage.
I also solved a problem where the 3 other planes where dependent on Diamond-Da42 (I forgot to change some links).
I added rain sound effects to Tecnam-P2006T, Falcon-50 and Diamond-Da42 (DO-228 already had them).
iamzac

Postby bugman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Hi iamzac,

If you look at the aircraft authors, you will see that these are all of Emmanuel Baranger's aircraft. Out of respect, I would suggest you try to contact Emmanuel. He can apply your updates to his upstream aircraft hanger and also push the changes into the official FGAddon aircraft collection where he maintains his aircraft. He also has his own forum where French is the main language but English is accepted.

Cheers,
Edward
bugman

Postby iamzac » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:18 am

bugman wrote in Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 pm:Hi iamzac,

If you look at the aircraft authors, you will see that these are all of Emmanuel Baranger's aircraft. Out of respect, I would suggest you try to contact Emmanuel. He can apply your updates to his upstream aircraft hanger and also push the changes into the official FGAddon aircraft collection where he maintains his aircraft. He also has his own forum where French is the main language but English is accepted.

Hi Edward,

I have already tried last year when I made the first changes to the Diamond as you can see in this forum thread: https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29284
In the end the changes were not accepted because the visual effects are ALS only.
Considering that in the case of DO-228 I have removed an exiting non-ALS rain effect and replaced it with the ALS one because it's better I am not even trying to submit the changes to these four planes to the official repository.

Someone made some partial updates to the fgmembers repository, I don't know why they are partial, maybe they found some bugs, I was not told anything.
iamzac

Postby Thorsten » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm

We're not running the FGMembers infrastructure, that's a fork, so I can't really comment.

With regard to the updates on FGAddon - Emmanuel has no right to reject them on the grounds that they're for ALS [1], he is under an obligation by repository access rules to work constructively with you on merging any additional work you have done and provide good reasons for not doing so [2] - with the matter being adjudicated by the core developers if there's continuing disagreement.

Should this not be feasible and development visions disagree fundamentally, there's also the option to prepare your versions as a variant (or, in extreme cases, as a different aircraft).

But there's practically no scenario in the repository access policy which your work can be summarily rejected by a single person if there's no dangerous hack involved and the licensing is sound.

So please make the attempt, and should it not end constructively bring it to my attention (if you like, or pick anyone else) - I've argued with him about similar issues before and am prepared to do so again, because I don't want to see good development wasted over some matter of taste.

[1] note that ALS effects are by design written in a way that should usually allow the plane to render fine under other frameworks, e.g. the ALS glass effect automatically marks the surface as transparent under Rembrandt),

[2] he does have the right to ask you to implement effects in such a way that the other renderers are also okay, which may require tweaking
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:10 pm

yeah, a different -set.xml file using a separate set of 3D models, textures, FDM or Nasal code etc is usually the least complicated way to avoid disagreements ... as in "survival of the fittest"
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby bugman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:29 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm:[2] he does have the right to ask you to implement effects in such a way that the other renderers are also okay, which may require tweaking

I'm pretty sure this is 100% the issue. And of course that Emmanuel has been very busy with RL in the last year or so.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Postby iamzac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 pm

I will think about your suggestions.
My intention was not to try make this uploaded anywhere, I respect Emmanuel's huge work, and don't want to upset anyone, I was just sharing my ALS focused changes for others to use if they want to and maybe give some feedback if they find bugs.
The P180 from the other thread, on the other hand should probably be ok to be put in the official repository.
iamzac

Postby iamzac » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm:[1] note that ALS effects are by design written in a way that should usually allow the plane to render fine under other frameworks, e.g. the ALS glass effect automatically marks the surface as transparent under Rembrandt),
[2] he does have the right to ask you to implement effects in such a way that the other renderers are also okay, which may require tweaking

I made tests under all 3 renderers and found two problems: the fuselage looked very wrong under default and rembrandt and the fact that I have removed the DO-228 non ALS rain effect.
I fixed both of these problems and now the fuselage looks great under all 3 renderes and the non ALS rain effect is back when ALS is disabled for DO-228.
I will post the updated models soon, right now I am still working on finishing some issues with Falcon-50.
iamzac

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Very good - seems promising then :D
Thorsten

Postby iamzac » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:38 pm

New updates!

All of them:
Fixed fuselage appearance under Rembrandt and Default renderers, now they all look great under rembrandt!
Added thunder and wind sounds and tweaked the rain sound and effect.

Dornier DO-228:
Added back the non ALS rain effect when ALS is turned off, further reduced smoke effect.

Diamond DA-42:
Made the propellers contra rotating both in yasim and in animation.

Falcon-50:
Redone the flight model because it had various problems both with the model and how the engines where handled (one of them was ignored in many places).
Now the speeds and fuel consumption are closer to reality and the handling is smoother.
Added more interior effects and further reduced smoke.
Improved how the sound and animations are tied to internal properties.
Added "s" and "S" key shortcuts to start and stop the engines.
The autopilot was buggy and I can't fix it so I disabled it and now you can use the default FlightGear autopilot with it, and the route manager too.
If you want to re-enable it I put comments with "AUTOPILOT is too buggy" in falcon50-base.xml and Systems/dialog.nas where I disabled it and the code is still there.
iamzac

Next

Return to Aircraft