Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

PANAVIA TORNADO

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

PANAVIA TORNADO

Postby EnricoC » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Hello everyone.
We are looking for people who have some time to devote to the implementation of the Panavia Tornado model.
At the moment there is a model designed by FGUK, but unfortunately quite dated.
We are therefore looking for volunteers who have capabilities in different areas such as 3D, FDM, ANIMATION etcetc.
We have a channel dedicated in Discord and we have all the documentation that we need to do it best.
It only serves will, wants to do, and work in teams.
For those who are interested, it can write a private message and I'll send him the invitation to access our network.
Thanks for the attention.

Enrico Castaldi
http://www.enricocastaldi.simplesite.com
enricocastaldi@virgilio.it
BR
EnricoC
Callsign : Spectre
www.enricocastaldi.simplesite.com

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill".
Frank Frederick Borman II
Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Callsign: Spectre
Version: 2018.2.2

Re: PANAVIA TORNADO

Postby Octal450 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 am

I did some very basic FDM work a while back, as you know, but it's still very unoptimized etc.

If you want to continue where pinto and I left off, take look here: https://github.com/JMaverick16/Panavia-Tornado/

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby EnricoC » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:47 am

Hello everyone.
We have a channel dedicated in Discord :

https://discord.gg/2MYgUum

Thanks for the attention.
BR
EnricoC

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill".
Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby xcvb » Fri May 10, 2019 7:52 am

I wonder if anyone else is interested in improving the cockpit of the Tornado. Since information about the MFD is rare, I would suggest focusing on the first Bomber/IDS version GR1 and the Interceptor/ADV version F3. I started with a 3D model of the "Electronic Head Down Display" as used in the ADV:

xcvb

Version: Next

Postby Avionyx » Fri May 10, 2019 10:12 am

Hi All,

Great to see more interest in this aircraft.
The FGUK guys have actually got a, very recently (past 2 weeks) finished, Tornado GR4 model by Andreas Spiekermann which is a huge improvement on the old one and certainly in the top class of external models for FG. It's fully mapped too and StuartC is going to do a full new FDM for it which I'm confident will be on point. Furthermore we've actually got at least one, possibly more, ex Tornado pilots able to fly and give feedback on it so we're hoping that's going to be well worth waiting for.

Internal models for the cockpit sadly haven't got much (any) love at all so anyone who wishes to contribute is more than welcome, the idea is to create one of FG's showpiece models with this given it's recent retirement from RAF service.

Of course if anyone else wishes to develop their own that's fine it just seems in an environment like the FG community it would be better to avoid crossover where possible.

I'll try get some screenshots of the up to date model later.

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby xcvb » Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 am

I don't want to do my own project, but I haven't found anyone who wants to collaborate yet. Where to find the new model? On the FGUK website there seems to be only the old version. Are there any differences in the external models between the bomber versions GR1 and GR4? I thought the GR4 was just an avionics update. Maybe it's better to create the GR1 instead, because it's difficult to find information about the MFD and the new HUD of the GR4 (did you find anything about it?).

Are there any plans for the interceptor version F3? This is what my F3 cockpit currently looks like (ASI taken from F14):

xcvb

Postby RobAndrew » Sat May 11, 2019 3:28 pm

This sounds awesome, probably my favourite aircraft (Probably because dad used to fly it, lucky sod) if we could get some sand dune liveries for the GR4 that would look great. All packed out with kit it would look awesome!

Certainly A big fan of the F3 though as mentioned. Would help if I could!
RobAndrew

Callsign: G-RAND
Version: 2020.

Postby Richard » Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm

As some of you might know I've got a VSPAERO derived model[1] together with a F2/F3/Tiara cockpit that I could contribute to a concerted effort to make this happen. My aero cannot be released as GPL it'd have to be CC BY-NC 4.0

The cockpit is reasonably good in the centre panels - but needs work on the side panels

The main things that are going to take time are the TV-TABS[2] and the other displays. If we do a GRx version then we also need to consider TFR[3] and DRLMS[4]

As I've said previously I'm not prepared to work on any FGUK projects that don't use source control - so if we're going to do this it would have to be using some sort of source control (preferably git - github/bitbucket) - but what I really need is developers to make a real binding commitment to making this happen - so if there is sufficient commitment we can build a team and make this happen.

------------------------------
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q2h8EMRAQk
[2] https://rochesteravionicarchives.co.uk/ ... wn-display
[3] Terrain following radar
[4] Digital Radar Land Mass simulation - i.e. data for TFR
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Alant » Sun May 12, 2019 11:48 pm

For terrain following you could use my TSR2 code. I believe the Tornado used a later development of this. It is very stable and does not have a high frame rate impact.
Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby xcvb » Mon May 13, 2019 6:48 am

@Richard: The reason why I started with the EHDD and the HUD was that I knew you were using the wrong devices for your F3 version. This is what the real HUD panel looks like:

The differences are the different HUD operation modes and the wingspan scale going from 0-160 instead of 0-100.
I don't really understand why your FDM can't be released under the GPL. The problem will then be that the external model is GPL anyway.

I also prefer GIT (Github or Gitlab, but I never tried bitbucket). The good thing is that the EHDD and the TV-TABS display the same information. I will try to do the EHDD first and then it can also be used for the TV-TABS.

@Alan: The terrain following code will be very useful for the IDS versions. Unfortunately the F3 does not have this instrument. I don't know which Tornado we are going to make.
xcvb

Postby enrogue » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

I'm happy to lend a hand where I can (probably mostly testing) - I'm happy with git for source control on github or gitlab. The flight control system should be interesting to work on
enrogue

Callsign: enrogue

Postby Avionyx » Mon May 13, 2019 5:43 pm

For those that would like to work together on this I've put a project up at GitHub and invite anyone to contribute.

External 3D model work is as advanced as it's going to get for the moment and huge thanks to Andreas Spiekermann for that. Internally the 3D model does need work and I'd love to see someone with the skills put whatever time they can spare into that.

Here's the repo link:
https://github.com/Flight-Gear-UK/Tornado-GR4

Please let me know if you need a collaboration invite.
Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX
Version: 2020.4

Postby xcvb » Fri May 17, 2019 9:50 pm

The new model is great. I used it for my project. I started a new repository because:
- I'm mainly interested in the ADV/F3 version and not in the GR4
- I prefer JSB FDMs
- I prefer png textures (jpg should not be used for textures)

Anyway, we can still work together and maybe one day we can merge our projects.

Finally the cockpit fits into the external model. You can have a look if you like:
https://github.com/xcvb85/Tornado
xcvb

Postby EnricoC » Sun May 26, 2019 2:11 am

I'm so glad you're working on the tornado.
I would love the IDS version and can contribute as a tester and a livery developer.
thanks again to you all.
BR
EnricoC

Commander of Apollo 8 .
EnricoC

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:39 pm

@Alex: I'm loaded with RL stuff and other projects but I'd definitely like to contribute a few improvements on a spare time basis so feel free to send me an invite link for it (my GitHub account shouldn't be too hard to find :wink: ).
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (KC-137R, F-16, A330, C-32J, MH-60)
Flying with Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack + MFD Cougar
Aviation media on IG at: @j_maverick16.aviation
J Maverick 16

Callsign: J-Mav16
Version: 2020.3.19

Next

Return to Aircraft