Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

FSX Aircraft Convented to FlightGear?

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

FSX Aircraft Convented to FlightGear?

Postby FighterAce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm

I was browsing the web, and I stumbled upon this page:https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4571/, which happened to be a review of FlightGear. I scrolled dow a few times, and came to this line: "Aircraft can be imported from Microsoft Flight Simulator by utilizing the 3-D Convert program which converts the MSFS 3-D model to the FlightGear system. Although the models can be imported, the flight dynamics cannot-- they must be created from scratch for FlightGear." Is this really possible? Thanks!,

-FighterAce
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Re: FSX Aircraft Convented to FlightGear?

Postby StuartC » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:27 pm

yes and its a pain in the arse to do. We have done it a few times and its never easy.
StuartC

Callsign: WF01
Version: 2019.1

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Besides, it's usually not just not feasible due to technical/conversion issues, but also for legal ones.
Speaking in general, even under "perfect circumstances", you will usually only be able to end up with a severely crippled version of the original 3D model, often lacking features/details found in the original model - and none of the effects/shader or animation stuff maps nicely to the way FlightGear needs things done (FDM specifics, Nasal scripting, the property tree, fgcommands etc).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:15 pm

FighterAce wrote in Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm:... 3-D Convert program which converts the MSFS 3-D model to the FlightGear system.

I don't know of the 3-D convert that they speak of.

However if there was actually a decent supply of genuinely free[1] FSX models I'm fairly sure that I could write a complete converter[2] based on what I've seen in terms of documentation of the formats involved, including the FDM[3], animations etc.

However there isn't a enough models that allow this to make the investment in time worthwhile.

[1] most of the freeware ones have terms that explicitly deny reuse, especially under any sort of sensible GPL/CC licence.
[2] ideally the source files, but nobody ever publishes these so almost certainly it would have to use the run time models.
[3] Probably would still have poor flying qualities.
Richard

Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:21 pm

I think Melchior Franz (former FG core dev and major fgdata/Nasal contributor) actually once came up with some kind of modified Blender export plugin (using Python IIRC) applying his intimate knowledge of Nasal/FlightGear internals to make things work - still, it's a huge undertaking and not to be underestimated - i.e. there is usually no 1:1 mapping, just like code generation by a compiler is not a 1:1 process either.

Besides, more and more of our workflows and processes are becoming pretty FlightGear specific - especially in the MFD/Canvas department (think cockpit/avionics) - the kind of APIs we have evolved over the last couple of years have no clear mapping outside fgfs, e.g. imagine finding a cockpit with a G1000-equivalent device, we cannot simply "map" such stuff to an existing API or subsystem - just like it's not feasible to "run" fgfs aircraft outside the fgfs environment - or even just "fgtape" files.

YMMV obviously, but usually this sort of thing makes little sense (if any at all)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby FighterAce » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 pm

OK, thanks for all the info!
FighterAce

Callsign: FighterAce
Version: 2017.1.3

Postby StuartC » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 pm

you can use modelconverter-x to convert the 3d model to something you can work with but expect things to be displaced or lost and it can be a lot of work just to get a useable model. Everything else though, you need to start from scratch using FG native stuff.
StuartC

Postby Octal450 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:20 pm

You would have to rewrite the FDM, Sounds, Instruments, and all Systems.

Kind Regards,
Josh
Skillset: JSBsim Flight Dynamics, Systems, Canvas, Autoflight/Control, Instrumentation, Animations
Aircraft: A320-family, MD-11, MD-80, Contribs in a few others

Octal450's GitHub|Launcher Catalog
|Airbus Dev Discord|Octal450 Hangar Dev Discord
Octal450

Callsign: WTF411
Version: next

Postby japanair772 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 am

StuartC wrote in Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:27 pm:yes and its a pain in the arse to do. We have done it a few times and it's never easy.

What aircraft he you did it with?
Thanks!
japanair772

Postby StuartC » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 am

The Merlin is conversion. Got a couple of others in the works as well.
StuartC

Postby CaptB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am

Instead of converting aircraft, it's better to try and convince the author to release an .ac of the original model under GPL, essentially having a dual license scenario and rework it from there.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB
Version: next

Postby StuartC » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:09 am

I have no issues releasing it under CC if that's whats required.
StuartC

Return to Aircraft