Board index FlightGear The FlightGear project

FSWeekend 2017: Call for participation

Questions about the FlightGear organisation, website, wiki etc.

FSWeekend 2017: Call for participation

Postby durk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi all,

FSWeekend, the world's largest Flight Simulation event will be held again this year on november 4 and 5. Although we already have a crew for our booth we could use a couple of additional helping hands. In order to raise the impact of FSWeekend, each participating organisation is now explicitly asked to prepare a number of demos and explicitly advertise these, so that visitors have a much better idea what to expect.
More information about FSWeekend can be found here: http://fsweekend.com/fsw/

Please note that we have the possibility to give a large scale demonstration in the main movie theatre. This should be a live demo which lasts about 10 minutes, and which can be enjoyed by everybody, from grand parents to small children. The purpose of such a demo should be to bring across the fascination for aviation, without losing our target audience in technical detail. My current idea would be to use the Space Shuttle Launch scenario for this (or maybe, alternatively, the landing), but other ideas are welcome.

Also, for our regular booth we are requested to come up with a program. Obviously, we can demonstrate FlightGear like we did in the past, but alternatively, this might also be a good opportunity to highlight the background of the project a bit more. Ideas for topics to present are welcome, and additionally, I'd also be very interested to hear about the latest developments of the program itself that we can showcase.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Cheers,
Durk

P.S.,
I also cross-posted this to the developers list.
D
durk

Callsign: PH-DRK
Version: git

Re: FSWeekend 2017: Call for participation

Postby Hooray » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:20 pm

durk wrote in Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:34 pm:I'd also be very interested to hear about the latest developments of the program itself that we can showcase.

There is a dedicated wiki category for changes/newsletter published after each release: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Cha ... r_releases

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Cha ... ter_2016.4
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Cha ... ter_2017.1
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Cha ... ter_2017.2

Typically, these newsletters will also contain screenshots/images and youtube videos that may be of interest for people wanting to develop material specifically for FSWeekend.

Equally, there are dedicated changelogs for each release, highlighting some of the technical changes: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Fli ... changelogs

Apart from that, I do agree that the spaceshuttle is likely to create very compelling visuals - I'd just be careful not to convey the impression that FlightGear per se is a dedicated space simulator - that may only add to the confusion, and frustration/disappointment, FlightGear newcomers may face - and it would add to the workload on the forum dealing with people having the wrong impression/expectations.

Regarding live-demos, it may be best to start a new thread and ask people to post videos, including the corresponding fgtapes (flight recorder/replays), so that the flights can be easily replicated, possibly using different environmental/rendering settings.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:37 pm

durk wrote in Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:34 pm: My current idea would be to use the Space Shuttle Launch scenario for this (or maybe, alternatively, the landing), but other ideas are welcome.

I'd suggest a helicopter: show off the best scenery, interesting weather, and the new vegetation.
For instance, one of the helicopters -- not sure which is the best, flying and then landing at Innsbruck showing off the rotor wash and scenery?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby wlbragg » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 pm

One helicopter demo possibility would be the AirCrane with the recent "Fire Fighting Apparatus" featuring the "flexhhose" work that would make for a fun utility demo (already in fgaddon). Also the hard docked cargo towing which is still in the development repo, but stable enough for another great utility demo. The rotor wash grass shader is also implemented and some slightly specialized water and dust particle wash that looks nice.

For another utility demo you can use the c172p bush tire for a back country demo.

In my opinion, the j3cub has the best hydo implementation in the fleet and would be a really good demo. The snow ski (without wheels) would also a make a good demo. Not to forget the crop dusting, fire fighting and fish stocking configurations.

Even the DaSH has some unique appeal as a demo of what FG has modeled to date.

These are the aircraft I have familiarity with, others could come up with similar lists of aircraft with specialized fits that are some of our top notch aircraft. like F-15C, Saab Viggen and several others.

I also wouldn't want to forget showcasing the Naval Fleet.
Last edited by wlbragg on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020

Postby Thorsten » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Just based on my experience looking around what people on FSWeekend run (usually FSX with lots of payware addons)

* don't consider obviously unfinished aircraft - that's not going to impress anyone - there needs to be a good-looking cockpit and exterior

* last time, FG had a team of terrific programmers assembled, but we're not quite as terrific pilots - there needs to be someone who can fly the thing for a presentation, and a complicated realistic helicopter might pose a problem (I usually do fine, but there's the other 5%...)

If you want to impress people with graphics, you really need to think your best aircraft and then some. Otherwise you need some pretty unique features. A C-172p is nice, but I'm guessing pretty much every simmer has seen one already - in FSX or X-plane payware quality.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Well, the Aerostar 700 by Patten is very nicely modelled inside. Outside -- not so much.

Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Postby CaptB » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 pm

When comes to eye candy, people I've shown FG to were quite impressed with the trees moving in the wind, tree shadows and volumetric grass. Also the night city lights and the cockpit shadows were noticed as compared to FSX and FS9. I'd certainly plan to show off those. It's also worth it to underline that the 3D clouds and weather are default.

For aircraft, I would show off the P51 or the Spitfire and I think the shuttle is probably the best demonstrator when comes to systems complexity.
Ongoing projects(3D modelling): A320, MD-11, A350, B767
FG767: https://fg767.wordpress.com/
CaptB

Callsign: EKCH_AP
IRC name: CaptB

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:54 am

... and, as also mentioned on the mailing list - it's an FG presentation, so aircraft with different licenses from external hangars are unlikely to be featured - there's enough good material in the FG repositories.
Thorsten

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am

CaptB wrote in Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:48 pm:For aircraft, I would show off the P51 or the Spitfire and I think the shuttle is probably the best demonstrator when comes to systems complexity.

I don't think the Spitifre is modelled well enough, but the P51 or the shuttle do seem to be the best choice...
legoboyvdlp

Postby Hooray » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Last Novemeber, Stuart also posted some notes for this year's FSWeekend: http://wiki.flightgear.org/FSWeekend_2017
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Just a thought, how about printing a large poster with all the Screenshots of the Month?
See http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:Scr ... _the_month

2017's screenshots are all the ones after "File:ASK-21_over_Grand_Canon.jpg"
legoboyvdlp

Postby mickybadia » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:14 am

Quickly answering on behalf of the team here, it is a nice suggestion which unfortunately came too late. But we do have a screenshot of the month selection in the theatre presentation which will be shown once today, and once tomorrow. And we hear it is the LARGEST screen in the country!
mickybadia

Return to The FlightGear project