Board index FlightGear Development Aircraft

F-14 weapons

Questions and discussion about creating aircraft. Flight dynamics, 3d models, cockpits, systems, animation, textures.

F-14 weapons

Postby mixam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:25 pm

I searched a couple of videos on how to fire the f-14's missiles and did all the procedures as required:
-turn radar to TWS auto
-turn off the safes from the rear seat
-turn on master arm
-select HUD mode to AA
-profit????

Even after doing all this and with seemingly a target to lock on to, the missiles would not fire, despite there being a buzzing sound when they are selected. As well, I do not see anything on the radar screen for some reason, so that could be a part of the problem. Could it be that I need bombable for this?

pls help
mixam

Re: F-14 weapons

Postby Necolatis » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Press 'e' or trigger to fire.
Make sure you have loaded some weapons.
Press 'w' to select the weapon. SW=sidewinders, SP=sparrow/phoenix, GUN=cannon
Make sure you are within range, notice the aim-9 will give a growl even before it gets lock, the growl gets louder, when it gets the lock.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Re: F-14 weapons

Postby PINTO » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:36 pm

To reiterate what Necolatis said, it does sound like you're out of range. If you're using the AIM-9 (sidewinders), you need to be fairly close - within 5 nautical miles for a chance at success, really.

Is the callsign of the locked target coming up on the bottom of the HUD with the range?

Also, shameless plug, I give a detailed tutorial in this video.

Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Return to Aircraft