Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Low frame rate

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Low frame rate

Postby Bulldog 1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Id like to perfomance my frame rate cause i'm having 17 fps, and it is bad. Thanks
It's not the plane, it's the pilot
Bulldog 1

Re: Low frame rate

Postby camileck » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:56 pm

First of all, I think you should answer the questions from the frame above. Second, you got quite detailed answer here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32797&start=15#p317406 You claim you are not new to FG world but some of your questions and posts indicate something opposite :) Anyway, forum search, FG wiki and google are your friends.
camileck

Postby simongrant » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:37 pm

if youve got terrasync running try turning it off and checking fps again, found recently that terrasync is stealing half my fps

regards
simongrant

Callsign: CHT0056
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:12 pm

17fps isn't all that bad, though... i used to fly with only 10 - 12 and a lot of times less... then i got a newer video card, $60US, to replace my other one that was $30US and things got a bit better... i'm looking at getting another video card that is more high end which will probably up in the $300US range...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bulldog 1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:04 pm

The thing is, I usually fly the c172p with rembrand and 25 FPS, but with the A320Family from @iT0uchpods i have 17 with the default and it looks REALLY bad
Last edited by bugman on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not quote the entire previous post.
Bulldog 1

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 pm

i turned off rembrandt a long time ago... ALS gave me the best results... like i said above, 17fps isn't so bad... i've flown the A320s a few times and they're ok on the FPS... just don't try to fly a highly detailed craft into paris unless you have a very strong computer with a lot of memory and an excellent high end video card... the FPS from trying to draw all the objects in the scenery will put down the strongest mule in the shop ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bulldog 1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:07 am

Yes, i know, but, idk what happens with that plane, very laggy
Last edited by bugman on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bulldog 1

Postby Wecsje » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 am

@Bulldog 1

The IDG A320Family is a highly realistic a/c which means that there are a lot of complex systems. We always work to optimize the code etc... But for lower end systems this can resulst in a bit lower fps.

Regards,

Charlie (Wecsje)
Twitch Streams: https://www.twitch.tv/wecsjelive
Contact methods: Discord (Wecsje#6351), FlightSims United discord (https://discord.me/flightsimsunited), Steam (Wecsje)
Track me on VATSIM: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1397313
Wecsje

Callsign: WS208J
Version: Newest

Postby Bulldog 1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:51 am

Ok, Ill be patcience :lol: I have to say that you made a GREAT plane, good job, it crash me some times, but... Pretty good plane
Last edited by bugman on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bulldog 1

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 am

Try disable AI traffic as first. Then disable shaders, etc. And as last resort disable terrasync, delete all downloaded scenery and manual download scenery V1.0 with low resolution. You should obtain decent fps around 30, on very crappy notebook with Intel GMA 3000 I was able fly 20 fps.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby bugman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:35 am

If you want a mind-blowing frame rate, try FlightGear 0.07 ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Clive2670 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Bulldog 1 wrote in Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:37 pm:Id like to perfomance my frame rate cause i'm having 17 fps, and it is bad. Thanks

When I fly the 777 with all the "bells & whistles" switched on ( Shaders maxed out) I can go down to 4 to 5 FPS!!! reduce shaders a bit, turn off AI and a few tweaks on LODs and I get on average 20FPS might go up to 30 FPS if the laptop is having a good day!!! But never seen anything above this FPS But I've never complained about 20FPS. I might add forget terrasync as someone else said it will eat up memory and slow your FPS down, I've found this. I have the whole world downloaded to this path "C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2017.1.3\data\Scenery\New TerraMaster Scenery 1" with portreekids TerraMaster https://github.com/Portree-Kid/terramaster This helps provide a better frame rate for me. I update the parts of the world i mostly fly in about once a month. Hope this helps you
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby vezza » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Sorry but I have to revive this thread... I'm not able to get more than 1 - 3 fps with the best planes (Shuttle, 777, etc)... I must confess that I don't have the last generation workstation... anyway I did a little upgrade because I read on the forum that it is more important to have a good graphic card than a top of the hit cpu. I think that my system's bottleneck is motherboard/cpu/ram related because I'm experiencing high cpu load always 100% on 1 core and low gpu usage 35% max associated with very low fps (1-3 fps) and a slow frame spacing (400-600 ms). This is my hardware config:

Motherboard: Intel DP45SG (LGA 775)
CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 @ 3.00GHz (Quad core)
Ram: 8G 1333 MHz
Graphic: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Can someone confirm that I need to upgrade my system or is it possible that my system has a config problem?
Needless to say that I'd like to get at least 15-20 fps...
vezza

Postby RJ5576 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:44 pm

Is ALS on? ALS, though pretty, is extremely demanding. You can turn it off by selecting the default renderer in the Settings pane, or by deselecting "Atmospheric Light Scattering" in the Rendering Options dialogue box from within FlightGear. I regularly get between 15 and 30 fps with on-board graphics and ALS off.
RJ5576

Callsign: RJ5576
Version: 2018.1.1

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:04 am

Frankly, on my system, I find ALS actually improves my frame rate. Rembrandt, however, absolutely cripples many systems - it is most certainly not efficient.
The urban and overlay (overlay since they introduced volumetric grass) shaders also tend to be problematic.

Another possibility is that you might be running FlightGear without actually selecting your graphics card?
On Windows, find the Nividia Control Panel by right clicking on the desktop. Then, go to Manage 3D Settings. In Program Settings select fgfs.exe and ensure it is using your Nividia graphics card.

The next possibility is that you might be running out of memory. Running detailed scenery, with vegetation, random buildings, etc. could result in this.

If you try running FlightGear with the default renderer (not ALS or Rembrandt), default (basic) weather, no shaders, no vegetation, etc, and still get low performance, there is unfortunately most likely a problem with your system. It should be capably of it, so I'm not sure what's going on if so...
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Next

Return to Graphics