Board index Other Hangar talk

Augmented reality video from one of my recent projects

Talk about (almost) anything, as long as it is no serious FlightGear talk and does not fit in the other subforums.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Augmented reality video from one of my recent projects

Postby curt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Here is a video I shot on Monday of a real world UAV flight. I use computer vision and augmented reality techniques to overlay a HUD that shows what the onboard EKF is thinking (the EKF is fancy math that estimates roll, pitch, yaw, velocities, positions, sensor biases, etc.) It also draws what the autopilot is doing using intuitive symbology. Finally it draws the flight path back into the video so you can see where you've flown. The video shows a hand launch in manual mode, switch over to autonomous flight, then fades to a portion of a the circle hold (showing the path repeatability/variation), then fades to an autonomous landing, and finally I pick up the aircraft, walk back to the runway center and pan the camera around to show (using augmented reality) where the aircraft has been flying and what the approach looked like:

Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Re: Augmented reality video from one of my recent projects

Postby www2 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Good work.
I have a weird question can you program the UAV auto pilot to do a Kai Tak Style approach/Landing?
www2

Re: Augmented reality video from one of my recent projects

Postby bugman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 pm

It's developing nicely! Are you planing to have this system run real time?

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Return to Hangar talk