Board index FlightGear Development New features

MP vs timewarp / timeshift

Discussion and requests for new features. Please note that FlightGear developers are volunteers and may or may not be able to consider these requests.

MP vs timewarp / timeshift

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:40 am

This is not new feature, but attempt to disable existing feature. In the MP environment is absolutly unrealistic, when pilots using timewarp. Who want fly very long flight, must count flighttime in hours. And not with 747 take off from Heathrow at 1200Z, climb to FL370, then hit warp 8x and land at KJFK 1300Z. Or another example - on mpmap I saw many times airliners flying at FL3xx with speed 50 or 60 knots in time of my flight from LPMA to LZIB, or EGLL to KJFK etc. It is highly unrealistic, this is not game, but simulator. Yes, I used timewarp too, but not in MP and only for test purpose. Another similar thing - set time in the MP sessions. It is unfair, when someone performed landing at navigation difficult airport at night, but some minutes later other pilot perfectly landed on that airport, but in daytime. This is important especialy on events. Again - my own experience - there was great JMav's event We're Masters World Tour 2017. I made big mistake on the first leg - I joined to the event, but forgot set clock to current time. I made many very nice screenshots, but highly unrealistic, because it was taken at noon on my computer, but in the reality was sunset. All shots has been deleted with many abuses on my own dumb mistake :evil:

Developers, please disable timewarp and time set in MP.
Thank You.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Re: MP vs timewarp / timeshift

Postby Thorsten » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 am

So basically you think that we have to force everyone to what you consider 'fair' rather than letting people decide how they want to use FG themselves?

Whatever happened to 'Fly Free!' ?
Thorsten

Postby V12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 am

You can fly free when in singleplay. IMHO, in MP should be some restriction for equal conditions for all. All comunities has some criteria and restrictions - in FG multiplay we should not spawn on runway, we should vacate runway as fast as possible etc.

But You are right, Flightgear motto is Fly Free. And pilots SHOULD NOT use timewarp and/or timeset, not MUST NOT do it. Thank You for explanation. It is better than my restriction. You can delete this topic.
V12

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:59 pm

V12 wrote in Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:11 am:You can fly free when in singleplay. IMHO, in MP should be some restriction for equal conditions for all.

why? there's isn't any contest, is there?? sure, this could cause problems in virtual airlines but that's something they would need to enforce on their side...

if one is using MP simply/mainly to track their flights and flight times, they could do better in solo mode with their own log book... of course, they'd have no easily verifiable bragging rights but then again, it isn't a contest ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:23 am

Thorsten with
Thorsten wrote in Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 am:Whatever happened to 'Fly Free!' ?

opened my eyes. Yes, there is not any contest, FG is about free flight everywhere (over White House at 500 feets, over Himalaya, land on Red Square in Moscow etc.). I forgot about this angle of contempt, when I wrote this topic :oops:

Sorry to all for it. :oops: :oops: :oops:
V12

Return to New features