Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Using flightgear as an visual line of sight RC simulator

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Using flightgear as an visual line of sight RC simulator

Postby markfarnell » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:14 pm

Currently, I am using Aerofly RC 7:

https://www.aeroflyrc.com

to learn fixed-wing RC flights. It is a very good simulator for visual line of sight operations of model RC aeroplanes, where the viewpoint is 1-2m from the ground close to the runway, and will track the plane, giving the same viewpoint as you would be flying a model RC aeroplane in a park or a model runway.

However, how can I set up flightgear to make it to do the same?

If it is impossible, and if a developer wants to implement a replacement of aerofly RC, then what changes does the developer need to make, and how much code in flightgear can be reused?
markfarnell

Re: Using flightgear as an visual line of sight RC simulator

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 am

I think that's called 'Tower View'. I believe all you need to do is define your 'tower' location to where you want to stand and you're good to go.
Thorsten

Postby markfarnell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am

Thorsten wrote in Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:20 am:

I think that's called 'Tower View'. I believe all you need to do is define your 'tower' location to where you want to stand and you're good to go.

How to define the tower location? And also, are there a category of RC plane models? I can't find any.

Here, I also recommend that on the wiki page, we should set up a dedicated section for setting up Flightgear to RC plane simulation, and explicitly market flightgear as an open-source replacement for other dedicated RC simulators such as Aerofly RC and phoenix RC flight simulator
markfarnell

Postby Hooray » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:41 am

categorizing the wiki accordingly is not such a bad idea - basically, we'd need a new "portal" for RC topics, it's not difficult to do at all.

Regarding custom views, see: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php?ti ... edirect=no
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Flying