Board index FlightGear Support Flying

Why does my airplane runs off the track when taking off?

Controlling your aircraft, using the autopilot etc.

Re: Why does my airplane runs off the track when taking off?

Postby Zequinha » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Thorsten wrote in Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:09 pm:
Having said this, I personally think it would be a valuable option.

Then I suggest you get coding, because personally I think my time is wasted dumbing down the simulation I've worked hard to make realistic, and I've heard similar statements from other core developers.

Sorry Thorsten, I did not want to offend anyone. Did you read what I wrote before that sentence?
Zequinha

Postby curt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Maybe someone else can be more clever than me and think of other ideas .... but to turn off the cross wind effects on airplane during takeoff I imagine you could (a) turn off wind or (b) take a deep dive into the flight dynamics code.

The problem is that interacting with air and ground is pretty fundamental to the simulation of flight. It likely will require quite a bit of effort and understanding to turn off part of the physics while keeping the rest of the physics working correctly. In general, no one is opposed to an "option" if it makes sense and can be integrated cleanly with the rest of the code. However, we don't want to create big messes in the code or the physical simulation unless it is totally unavoidable. Once in a while someone runs a bull through the china shop and sends us a pull request.

Best regards,

Curt.
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Thorsten » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Sorry Thorsten, I did not want to offend anyone.

I'm not offended in any way, I just try to get the message across that the people developing FG aren't generally interested in that, so if you want that option, you're likely to organize it yourself.
Thorsten

Postby Zequinha » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 pm

I am experimenting with different wind speeds from 'Environment > Weather > Manual Configuration'. However, when I set the windspeed to 0kts I get the same takeoff path as when I set it to 200kts. I have set all the windspeed fields for all the elevations of the 'Aloft' and 'Boundary' sections to 200kts and experimented with different directions. I am using a jet plane, the F-15C. I would think the take off path would be different as 200kts seems to be a lot of wind.

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?
Zequinha

Previous

Return to Flying